Where did my space go?

AndyF1

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm just setting up my new HTC One. I downloaded a few apps but nothing major, and according to "storage" info I'm using 7.31 Gb out of 32 Gb available. So far, so good.

Now I want to copy some music from my desktop but when I connect to my desktop (through USB cable), my phone gets mounted as 'Android phone'... but only with 775Mb of available space! Why am I not seeing the other 24-odd Gb that should be there?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm just setting up my new HTC One. I downloaded a few apps but nothing major, and according to "storage" info I'm using 7.31 Gb out of 32 Gb available. So far, so good.

Now I want to copy some music from my desktop but when I connect to my desktop (through USB cable), my phone gets mounted as 'Android phone'... but only with 775Mb of available space! Why am I not seeing the other 24-odd Gb that should be there?

So I'm sorry I don't have a One to figure out how to do this directly through USB, but I have another solution.

You can upload your music to Google Music (up to 20,000 songs for free) from the desktop and then download it to your device from the Google Play Music app.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...//play.google.com/music/listen&token=06srhBwe (Upload Music Button)
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...gle.android.apps.youtube.music&token=BZOiURKg (Android App)

Hopefully someone can solve your USB issue as well in this thread, but in the mean time I hope this helps.

AndyF1

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the attempt but I really would like to know why it's not mounting the whole space that is available on the device, in fact, the major part of that space! Having to resort to such workarounds as you suggest is just ridiculous, and I had no such issues with my previous phone, HTC Desire so this is a massive step backwards.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One other thought that "Android Phone" reminds me of. That sounds like it doesn't have the drivers installed correctly to mount as an MTP device. Are you using the stock cable and letting the device install drivers or are they something you got from HTC's site? I know they're somewhat pushing their HTC Manager App or HTC Sync, whatever they're calling it now.

Try this thread.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/272562-mount-external-drive-yes-mac-no-pc.html

AndyF1

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you might be onto something there. I might add that the desktop computer I'm connecting to is running Linux Mint (flavour of Ubuntu) so whatever applications HTC might be pushing... they are not an option.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you might be onto something there. I might add that the desktop computer I'm connecting to is running Linux Mint (flavour of Ubuntu) so whatever applications HTC might be pushing... they are not an option.

Okay if you don't have dual boot then I have no idea other than workarounds, like drop box or what we've already covered. Sorry I can't be of more help and if you do get it solved, please post how back here. This would also be a great question for the Android Central Podcast. Not sure if you've listened to or watched that, but they do answer some voicemail and e-mail questions at the end of most shows (it's typically weekly).

Android Central Podcast | Android Central

[h=3]Want to be on the podcast?[/h]
  • E-mail us: Have a question and want us to answer it on-air? E-mail us here.
  • Voicemail: We love actually hearing from you. You can leave us a voicemail toll-free at (888) 468-6158 Ext. 222.

AndyF1

May 26, 2013
Visit site
So... this is getting strange. I thought there was some hidden directory or partition that doesn't show up when viewed on the desktop that would account for the difference, but I've been poking around the file structure on the phone with Astro file manager and it doesn't seem to be the case: top level appears to be /storage/sdcard0 and on that level I see folders such as .showme, DCIM, Download, Music, Podcasts, Ringtones, Alarms, Notifications, Pictures, Movies, Android, .data, media, backups and .aid.bak. And above that, Astro shows summary of usage: 3%, (856.91Mb/26.11 Gb)

Well, those are the the same folders I see in my desktop file manager, but there it reports only 673 Mb of free space! It's gone down because I copied over a few small files and that worked just fine, but the desktop really doesn't think there is any more space available - if I try to copy more than what is shown as free, I get the message along the lines of 'not enough space on the device'... even though there clearly should be another 26.11 Gb.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So... this is getting strange. I thought there was some hidden directory or partition that doesn't show up when viewed on the desktop that would account for the difference, but I've been poking around the file structure on the phone with Astro file manager and it doesn't seem to be the case: top level appears to be /storage/sdcard0 and on that level I see folders such as .showme, DCIM, Download, Music, Podcasts, Ringtones, Alarms, Notifications, Pictures, Movies, Android, .data, media, backups and .aid.bak. And above that, Astro shows summary of usage: 3%, (856.91Mb/26.11 Gb)

Well, those are the the same folders I see in my desktop file manager, but there it reports only 673 Mb of free space! It's gone down because I copied over a few small files and that worked just fine, but the desktop really doesn't think there is any more space available - if I try to copy more than what is shown as free, I get the message along the lines of 'not enough space on the device'... even though there clearly should be another 26.11 Gb.

Can you take a screenshot of what your desktop is showing as free space? Seems interesting to me.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Which OS?

On windows 8 I can see all my storage.

LqWcgLO.png

Most likely you need to install the HTC drivers. You can get them by installing HTC Sync Manager.

HTC Sync Manager

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem may be that you are looking at the "storage device" that contains the HTC Sync Manager software installation, which is shown as a data "CD". There are two volumes or disks that are shown when you plug your HTC One into your computer. Look in the "other" drive of your HTC One. Make sense?

anon(5982703)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm linux does not play well with MTP. I cannot vouch for this method but helped me. ( I had some issues installing the HTC drivers on a win7 64bit).

After you connect the phone to the computer, go into Settings > Developer options >(OK)> Turn dev. options ON> select USB debugging. Helped me mount my phone as a storage until I sorted the drivers issue. Could you try and connect your phone to a friend's Windows PC to see what happens.

Hope it helps and you get to enjoy all the storage space.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea to get mtp at least half working on Linux you have to build and install a kernel module. I got it working on mint following a tut on xda, but I can't remember what it was called.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

AndyF1

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you to all who attempted to help. The issue is indeed related to mtp. I installed mtpf and gmtp from Mint depositories (@gollum18: no mucking around with the kernel is required anymore! ) Now, using gmtp I can indeed use the whole space. The problem is however, gmtp only seems to work on the level of individual files, while I want to transfer folders! But this is clearly beyond the scope of this forum, I will continue to search for more answers on Linux forums.

I've been happily using my HTC Desire for the last three years and I haven't kept up with developments in the world of Android, but it seems Google has been busy f***ing the system up. With the old version of Android I had, I used to be able to simply mount the phone as USB device and use it as such - no extra steps, no issues, no hassles. This is NOT an improvement!

Sailfish can't get here soon enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol