Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Like Tree46Likes

Default Re: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

Tell that to the people who have scratches on their phones because they didn't use a screen protector.
    It's not a gimmick. It's a preference. Either you want the insurance to protect the screen and also keep
    the resale value as high as possible, or you do not. But to say it's a gimmick like undercoating a car is
    certainly not the analogy that applies here.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One Stock All the Way

I hate screen protectors, as they seem to dull the display. For my last two smartphones, I've done without using a screen protector and didn't have any issues with scratches, etc. Now, I do take pretty good care of my phone by keeping it in my front pants pocket all by itself (no keys, etc).

ROM
    Fission 2.5.7BE

I don't use em and have no problems....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't use them either and I also don't have a problem. But when my phone is in my pants pocket it's the only thing in my pocket. So there is nothing to scratch it.

Well my phone has a protector and I dont feel any extra! bulk or anything like that

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Hell no

Posted via Android Central App

I do not use a screen protector, but I have a thin case to protect the edges of the phone, which tend to get scratched.

My screen is about 10 months old, and it's flawless.
    Kyocera Koi<Samsung Instinct<Helio Ocean<HTC Touch Pro<Helio Ocean 2<Palm Pre<HTC EVO 4G<HTC EVO 3D<HTC EVO 4G LTE<HTC One

I use to, then with my last phone, the Inspire, I didn't & screen remained scratch free. I didn't use one with my One, & I have a few minor scratches. Guess it's just a matter of choice. I still don't have one, but did change my case & I no longer put my phone in my purse.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    t_p

no screen protection here.. i like the way it looks too much watching vids and pictures to dull the display with anything. it's a risk i am willing to take to enjoy the phone to the fullest. the screen is amazingly scratch resistant. There have been times I've dropped it in the car etc fully expecting to find scratches but none so far.. the first scratch i notice is when i will begin shopping for a screen protector...
    Thanked by:

Don't use them ever. With phones the way they are now I keep it in my front pocket and don't put anything else in it. Done that a couple years now and nothing more than maybe a hair scratch that didn't matter

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Man, it's 2014 and this is still a debate?

Some people have small hands or are just flat out clumsy and drop their phones constantly. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people are just rough with their phones and throw them haphazardly into handbags, pockets, back packs, cup holders, drawers, and god knows what else phone will fit into. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people work in extreme environments such as construction and manufacturing which make it difficult to use the phone carefully. Those people most definitely need screen protectors.

Some people just have extraordinarily bad luck and mysteriously get bad scratches on their phones. In that case they're probably screwed as something else terrible will likely happen to the phone, but a screen protector may help.

Bottom line is that is an individual, case by case decision.

Me personally, I've owned the OG Evo, Evo 3D, Evo 4G, and now the One each from launch and have never used a screen protector or a case. In that three and a half years, I've never cracked or even had a significant scratch on any of the screens. I did damage the LCD on the 4G by tripping over the charging cord and causing the phone to fall about 4' onto concrete, but that's it.

As such, I don't feel the need for protection on the phone. I like the feel without it (that sounds dirty). But I swear pretty much every person I know that has owned a slab smartphone for any significant amount of time has killed a phone by dropping it or at least spider-webbed the screen at one point, so I can understand why most choose at least a minimal TPU case or something.
    Thanked by:
    paintdrinkingpete likes this.

You definitely do. But the best one of all isn't the zagg anymore. It's the spigen glass tr it's incredible and the feel is unreal. Oleophobic as well makes your screen stand out even more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ROM
    Whomp 4.2/Perseus 36.3

After spending probably $100 the first year I had an android phone trying to find the right one. I finally realized I just hate having them on there. Plus none of my blackberry's ever had them and never got scratched. So for 2 years I've done nothing but run a thin TPU case with no screen protector and been very happy. Granted I'm very careful where I put my phone and 90% of the time it's in my front pocket.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by superbleester View Post
    Share your opinions! What are your experiences with them? Does the HTC One's glass scratch easily? If you use one t kind? Is it working well?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    I do not use a screen protector. Phone has been in an Incipio case since I got it.

Same here. The screen protector does not I impede on typing virtually at all. I've never used my phone much without it so I'd say the phone feels funky without some sort of casing.

Why take the screen off? It does not impede on the devices functionality virtually at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Man, it's 2014 and this is still a debate?

Some people have small hands or are just flat out clumsy and drop their phones constantly. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people are just rough with their phones and throw them haphazardly into handbags, pockets, back packs, cup holders, drawers, and god knows what else phone will fit into. Those people probably need screen protectors.

Some people work in extreme environments such as construction and manufacturing which make it difficult to use the phone carefully. Those people most definitely need screen protectors.

Some people just have extraordinarily bad luck and mysteriously get bad scratches on their phones. In that case they're probably screwed as something else terrible will likely happen to the phone, but a screen protector may help.

Bottom line is that is an individual, case by case decision.

Me personally, I've owned the OG Evo, Evo 3D, Evo 4G, and now the One each from launch and have never used a screen protector or a case. In that three and a half years, I've never cracked or even had a significant scratch on any of the screens. I did damage the LCD on the 4G by tripping over the charging cord and causing the phone to fall about 4' onto concrete, but that's it.

As such, I don't feel the need for protection on the phone. I like the feel without it (that sounds dirty). But I swear pretty much every person I know that has owned a slab smartphone for any significant amount of time has killed a phone by dropping it or at least spider-webbed the screen at one point, so I can understand why most choose at least a minimal TPU case or something.
    My sentiments basically echo yours. Some people seem to need one more than others...and either way, I'm certainly not one to criticize what someone else wants to do with their phone.

I think each person needs to weigh their personal preference vs. the risk involved, as there is no clear-cut answer you'll get here on the forums.

I'm quite careful with my phone and prefer not to use one...and thus far have been lucky I guess. I read that last part of your statement and then stand on my head while crossing my fingers and knocking on wood when I say that since I bought my first touchscreen phone in 2008 (BB Storm), I've yet to have a ever have any significant cracks on any screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Theot View Post
    After spending probably $100 the first year I had an android phone trying to find the right one. I finally realized I just hate having them on there. Plus none of my blackberry's ever had them and never got scratched. So for 2 years I've done nothing but run a thin TPU case with no screen protector and been very happy. Granted I'm very careful where I put my phone and 90% of the time it's in my front pocket.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    That was my thing too...I've tried to use screen protectors in the past, but never really liked them, so I decided to take my chances. This may not be the right decision for everyone, but it is for me.

How can we remove scratches around the galaxy note 2 body i have scartches on the home button and at the bottom inside the usb port

Quote Originally Posted by jeverts View Post
    I don't use em and have no problems....
    Same with me. I never use them.

I didn't use screen protectors for a long time, then one day the Sun hit my 8330 screen just right and I could see a lot of microscopic scratches. That definitely changed my mind about screen protectors and I've been using them ever since. I've had low, medium and high end screen protectors over the years and you definitely get what you pay for. I now use Tempered GLASS screen protectors for my devices. I look at it like this $25/40(protector) vs $100/200(new screen).....it's a no brainer for ME
    Thanked by:
    Oliver Telfor likes this.

I use an Iloome tempered glass screen protector and it's amazing. I didn't use a screen protector at first because they tend to change the look and feel of the display, then I got a nice scratch dead in the middle of the screen. To those who don't use protection (hehe) because they're careful, I never dropped the phone, and I habitually keep it by itself in my right pocket. The scratch was probably from a random piece of dirt or sand that wound up in my pocket, and there was nothing I could have done about it. Now it's tempered glass screen protectors all the way. My One fell off my pool table (was using a break speed app) face-first flat onto the concrete basement floor, and it only picked up a couple nicks on the Iloome.

I haven't used one and my screen is in great condition almost a year later. It's a personal preference thing and i can totally see why someone would want one.

Default Re: HTC One: Do you honestly need a screen protector?

I have to put a screen protector on because I've had one for so long I get too scared to keep my phone without it

I agree with you completely that a screen protector or a phone cover completely messes with the look and feel of any device. I have a Nexus 5 and do not want to either put a screen protector or phone cover to it.

However, over time I realized that there were were fine scratches both on the screen and the back of my phone and I was not aware of how they got there (as I am generally careful with my phone).

I have a wireless charger that I use for charging my Nexus 5. However, as the phone sits on the charger and I get a call, in case my phone is on either vibration or ring + vibrate mode, the phone makes this irritating noise due to vibrations. Further, I realized that due to these constant vibrations, those small scratches were arising. Once it even fell of the table and the center of gravity of the entire unit (phone + charger) is not that high and is not stable.

I was wondering if there was an automated way to stop the vibrations as soon as I put my phone on the charging mode. However, I looked for App in the Android store and could not find a single App that could do so.

Therefore, I went ahead to make an app for myself. An app that could suppress the vibrations on the phone when I put it on charging mode. I was primarily making it for wireless charging user when I realized that even users with normal chargers need such an App.

What is the basic idea behind the App?

How often do we realize that we left our phone on charging, while the phone was either on Vibration/ Ringer + Vibration mode, and typically the phone lies on a rough surface while it charges. During this state, if you receive a phone call, the phone keeps on vibrating of the surface and over time small scratches appear on your phone. In case you left the phone at the corner of the table, your phone may also fall while vibrating! The App works to protect your phone, by suppressing the vibrations while on charging mode. Your phone automatically switches to normal mode with vibration on as soon as you plug it out. The App continuously works in the background so that you do not have to remember to disable vibration all the time.

You can download the App on Google Play by searching for Scratch Protector or Pluggdd.
    Oliver Telfor likes this.

I can see why people think that having a screen protector is unnecessary with the technology that is put into the glass on the phones.

However, for a small investment to keep the screen from scratching or smashing I think it's worth it.

The worst thing that can happen is that you get added protection right?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567