Sleep Mode in Power Settings vs Power Saver Data Connection

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I've searched and am struggling to find much on these. What do they do, and how are they different?

According to HTC:
Note: IfData connection is selected, HTC One automatically disconnects from the mobile network after 15 minutes when the screen is off and the data connection is idle (no download activity, streaming, or data usage). It reconnects and then disconnects periodically when the data connection is idle to save battery power.

How often is "periodically"?

I can't find anything on "Sleep Mode" that provides any info of substance.

Do these affect mobile data, Wifi, or both? Do they affect anything else?

I've left these off because I don't know how they work, and am getting fairly short battery life (10 to 15 hours, depending on use). I really don't want a phone that notifies me of emails, whatsapp, and other notifications with a 2005-style 10 minute delay!

friedtators

May 27, 2013
Visit site
you may want to refer to the manual. surely it has something on "periodically" if it does not that i would assume several times an hour. data is data so i would expect it to be global unless you are finding that setting under mobile networks. it should have an effect on everything. the smartphone is built around data. so if your email is pushed to the phone and the radio is in a sleep state you will not get your mail until it cycles. you getting 15hours out of a smartphone is great. if your human sleep period is midnight to 6am for example then your phone sleep period should be the same and mail delivery would not matter until 6:01. is there a blocking mode in settings?

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, that sleep period is 18 hours. I should have said that with light to moderate use, I get 10 to 15 hours. The 15 hour example is when I hardly pick up my phone during the day. Others seem to be getting 20+ hours with light to moderate use, but it seems they have this sleep mode enabled. I'm just trying to figure out what it does without making guesses / assumptions.

As for "the manual"... I got that directly from HTC's online "manual" and have searched elsewhere extensively.

Steve Shultz

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I can only speak from user experience...

Sleep Mode in Power Settings: This seems to be aimed at long periods of inactivity...i.e. When you are asleep at night. This never activates during the day from my experience. Basicly, how it seems to work is after sitting inactive on a table for a long period of time (1-2 hrs), it shuts down the connections. For instance, over night with it activated, looking at the battery usage graph you will see a strait line once it kicks in. I used 2% battery all night with it activated and about 15% without.

Power Saver Data Connection: If you have this enabled, it will shut down your data connection/wifi connection 15mins after your screen goes off. This 15 min window, keeps any whatsapp/etc conversations that you are engaged in, active. If there is no activity for 15 mins, it will shut down the connection and check in periodically. I have never received a message more than 15 mins after it was sent...mostly they come through very promptly. This has a huge effect on battery...Without I JUST make it through a day taking the battery down to 5%...with it on I end my day with about 30-40% left.

This is based on my experience only...hope this helps!

Steve Shultz

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Power Saver Data Connection seems to shut down wifi and 3g/4g data...phone and texts of course stay alive all the time. Test it out...the battery advantage is huge...and really I cant say I notice much difference in day to day use! I happily leave both power saver and sleep mode turned on and enjoy amazing battery life!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon