HELP HTC ONE or GALAXY S4?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I recently had to make this decision also :). I spent almost a day with my friends HTC one and decided to keep my S4.
For me it was the "gimmicks" that samsung has...I like where they're going.

My break down:
Built quality I give it to HTC.
Feeling in my hand. S4. It just feels good cant explain it.
Battery S4 by far for me.
Smoothness of UI HTC one
Screen both amazing.
Speakers HTC
Better layout S4. Home button and toggle menu are amazing.

I just feel like playing with s4 more then I do with the HTC one.

Both are amazing phones and I don't see how you could go wrong with one or the other. Also I'm sure you will find someone to trade with you if you feel like trying the other phone later on ;)

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
No, the Internet has spoken and the button placement is terrible. In fact, it's the worst thing that has ever happened to an electronic device. Please retract your stated preference immediately, or else...

Posted via my HTC One

Some tech sites are speculating whether this catastrophe may in fact have broad effects on the entire smartphone industry. Many other companies are making plans to "bail out" HTC for their enormous negligence because of this. Only time will tell but the world economy may never fully recover.
Honestly, it took me about 18 hours to acclimate and now give no thought to it. I use my phone one handed with both hands without issue. Your mileage may vary.

willizen

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Some tech sites are speculating whether this catastrophe may in fact have broad effects on the entire smartphone industry. Many other companies are making plans to "bail out" HTC for their enormous negligence because of this. Only time will tell but the world economy may never fully recover.
Honestly, it took me about 18 hours to acclimate and now give no thought to it. I use my phone one handed with both hands without issue. Your mileage may vary.

The button placement is actually the cause of global warming, the decimation of the global bee population, and the carpal tunnel syndrome that poor, ignorant HTC One owners are suffering with because of that abominable button placement. True story.

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If you like incredibly horrible button placement, then by all means go with the One. :)

Personal opinion of course, but I like the button placement. Gives my thumb a place to rest and hold the phone, unlike all the other phones with no bezel and a whole row of buttons.

Plus on my One X, when I would hand the phone to other people (to show something, take pics, etc), the would always accidentally hit multitasking and panic, not knowing what's going on. Or when I'd type, often I'd miss spacebar and hit home...

Happens a lot more rarely now.

Sent from my HTC One 801e using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rndomuser

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi I'm a recent android user here and I want to first thank everyone for contributing to this website. It has taught me a great deal and really made the transition bearable.
Anyways, I'm currently using a HTC One and satisified with the device, but I cant keep my fingers from itching everytime i see a galaxy s4. I used the Note 2 briefly before the HTC and it had excellent battery life and a very useful UI, the only problem was that it was just too big. I think i prefer the UI of the s4, but I just want some insight on what which phone people think is better. I do understand some of the comments are going to be opionated, but i'll sort through those myself.

My thoughts on the HTC One so far:
1. It has amazing build quality that is comparable with the iphone
2. amazing audio due to the beats chip
3. crisp screen
4. cool UI
5. Battery takes too long to charge
6. I'm afraid of breaking the sleep button because after that goes out, the phone will pretty much be sleeping 24/7.
7. Because of its alumium body, i feel like its more fragile and delicate, with the s4, if the back is scratched you can just go get a replacement one for cheap.

Thanks to everyone for their comments in advance!

You should definitely try GS4 by yourself and see how you feel about it. As for "durability" of aluminum body and phone itself - my One was thrown a couple of times (don't ask...) across the room. Only damage was a slight scratch on the rear edge of its "unibody", but personally I don't mind these - they do not look as "offensive" as on plastic phones and make the phone look like a slightly "worn out" hand tool, a firearm or a melee weapon ;)

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
The S4 is a great phone I have mine for about one week and love it can't live without it. Love the look (and take it from a long time iPhone user) the air gesture air view smart screen and multi windows is great. kills the battery faster but is very nice. Galaxy S4 is my new pocket buddy and love it.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
All this stupid arguing over button placement. If you look at the total design they had to get real estate to put speakers at the top and bottom of the phone. They wanted to keep the htc logo which I get.
Putting the logo in the middle is better than on a side.
There's room for 2 buttons one in each side of the logo.
Like others have said it took me maybe a day to get used to it and now I don't even think about it. I like it and have the ability to do anything I want. After the long press menu option it will be much better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

AdamsHouseCat

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If you like incredibly horrible button placement, then by all means go with the One. :)

...but if you prefer a laggy phone whose available storage is largely consumed by half baked features that work some of the time in some of the apps, and has a good outdoor camera that - unfortunately is difficult to use outdoors because of the unusually dim display, then you will probably need to look eslewhere.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
...but if you prefer a laggy phone whose available storage is largely consumed by half baked features that work some of the time in some of the apps, and has a good outdoor camera that - unfortunately is difficult to use outdoors because of the unusually dim display, then you will probably need to look eslewhere.

No lag here ghost rider. And I have no problems using it outside and I live in Texas where the sun is out all day long. No gamer and memory is enough for me. I save my music, pictures and videos on the SD Card cuz we have that option. if the battery dies we can swap it out in an instant.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

whitecollar

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Check out the Bug Thread found at the top of this Forum page. Then check out the Bug Thread at the top of the Galaxy S4 page. These are bugs reported by actual users of the phone, not reviewers or fans of the other phone. People are reluctant to criticize a phone they bought (at least here in AC) so if they go to the trouble to comment you can probably have faith in the reports. Check the bug reports carefully, some of them are minor and some may be related to what you are actually buying a phone for. Compare the number of Bug reports to the number of phones sold and you will have a good idea as to how prevalent bugs are per each customer base. I own an S4 and would highly recommend it to you. But as Madlaw1071 posted, each phone has some things that might fill your needs better than the other.

I think this is very well put.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Never been an issue for me either. I welcome the ability to pop in an SD card to store a ton of music/pics etc rather than be limited to what is just built in like the One.

carlostmac1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you to everyone for their input, for what i've read on android central, there's a lag issue with S4, but i'm sure samsung will take care of that soon. But the idea of the replacable battery is extremely attractive. How much does an OEM battery cost? As for the One, does anyone know when the 4.2.2 update will be released? If it's soon i think i will hold out till then and give it another shake before finalizing my decision.

And this is a newbie question, but what's a launcher? I'm getting pretty bored of the blinkfeed. I just dont see it necessary to be honest.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
No lag here ghost rider. And I have no problems using it outside and I live in Texas where the sun is out all day long. No gamer and memory is enough for me. I save my music, pictures and videos on the SD Card cuz we have that option. if the battery dies we can swap it out in an instant.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

This is what is holding me back is I need to get a straight answer about the S4 In direct sunlight I am getting 2 opinions I tend to believe that it is not that great as past experience with Amlod tells me,and some really un bias users have said it is not good in direct sunlight.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you to everyone for their input, for what i've read on android central, there's a lag issue with S4, but i'm sure samsung will take care of that soon. But the idea of the replacable battery is extremely attractive. How much does an OEM battery cost? As for the One, does anyone know when the 4.2.2 update will be released? If it's soon i think i will hold out till then and give it another shake before finalizing my decision.

And this is a newbie question, but what's a launcher? I'm getting pretty bored of the blinkfeed. I just dont see it necessary to be honest.

You can get an OEM battery for the S4 for about $25. If you just want an non OEM battery for backup you can get a charger and 2 batteries for about $20. Go to the Playstore and search for Launcher you'll see several and photos of how they look. Read the reviews and see how many reviews there are. I judge the popularity of the APP by the number of reviews. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s://play.google.com/store/apps&token=R0okWfMq

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hang on everyone, let me get some popcorn...

I don't own either device, and have only used the S4 a little so far, but am in the market for either phone. I really do believe you can't go wrong with either phone and what you buy will ultimately come down to what you want out of the phone. For example, I initially was set on the S4. I have wavered from that thinking though. It's obvious the One takes better low light photos. That is a big factor for me, I take loads of pictures of my kids in the house with my phone(s), a low light situation that over the years has plagued me with previous phones. So now I'm seriously considering the One over the S4.

What I usually do when faced with decisions like this is list the features you want and weight them. Usually you'll end up with 2-3 features that have the most weight. Figure out which phone excels at those features and you'll be happy with that phone.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
No, the Internet has spoken and the button placement is terrible. In fact, it's the worst thing that has ever happened to an electronic device. Please retract your stated preference immediately, or else...
Posted via my HTC One
LOL!!

Last edited:

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

A launcher is simply an overlay to replace your stock icons and add some bells and whistles to what your OEM gave you. There are usually free versions to try out. I recommend Nova and Next to play with. A launcher will allow you far more customizations that Touchwiz or Sense.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is what is holding me back is I need to get a straight answer about the S4 In direct sunlight I am getting 2 opinions I tend to believe that it is not that great as past experience with Amlod tells me,and some really un bias users have said it is not good in direct sunlight.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

I live in South Florida where it's bright and sunny all the time. On the S3, it was impossible to see the screen out doors without shielding. The S4 is MUCH better in direct sunlight and in fact when wearing polarized sun glasses actually easier to read than the One.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke