1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Disabling/deleting the gmail app

Is there a way to permanently disable the gmail app (or better yet, delete it)? Basically, I want to use my gmail account for gtalk and google voice only. (By way of background, I don't use gmail for email, but i do have some email accounts that will forward mail to my gmail account, so I do wind up having "new mail" in gmail every now and then.)

I already have the sync setting turned to OFF under settings -> accounts & sync -> auto sync is OFF and under "manage accounts," my google/gmail account is set to OFF for sync. This seemed to be working fine until I downloaded the update for the HTC one, and upon installation and reboot, all of my apps did a global sync and gmail started ticking again.

I know that I can turn off gmail notifications as a (temporary) workaround, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent solution.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Default Re: Disabling/deleting the gmail app

Quote Originally Posted by RedSwedishFish View Post
    Is there a way to permanently disable the gmail app (or better yet, delete it)? Basically, I want to use my gmail account for gtalk and google voice only. (By way of background, I don't use gmail for email, but i do have some email accounts that will forward mail to my gmail account, so I do wind up having "new mail" in gmail every now and then.)

I already have the sync setting turned to OFF under settings -> accounts & sync -> auto sync is OFF and under "manage accounts," my google/gmail account is set to OFF for sync. This seemed to be working fine until I downloaded the update for the HTC one, and upon installation and reboot, all of my apps did a global sync and gmail started ticking again.

I know that I can turn off gmail notifications as a (temporary) workaround, but I'm hoping there is a more permanent solution.
    Settings ===> Apps ===> Gmail ===> Disable
    tim
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Settings ===> Apps ===> Gmail ===> Disable
    Thanks, I will try that! Didn't realize you could disable individual apps via the settings like that.

Global Posts
    683 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedSwedishFish View Post
    Thanks, I will try that! Didn't realize you could disable individual apps via the settings like that.
    Yep! Do that with ALL apps that you don't want to take the chance of wasting system resources and / or bandwidth, especially those that might cost you money, such as navigation apps.

Cheers!
    tim