Best SMS/MMS app for the One

Trekker

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I was trying out Textra but I don't see where it will give you a character count as you are typing out your message. Does this feature exist? I know Chomp had it, it would show up after you typed the first line. I don't see that option in Textra.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally hunting for a new SMS app, I've been using Handcent for a long time but I don't like the direciton it's going in (becoming a social app like G+ hangout, IM+, etc) and has gotten very laggy but it's one of the only SMS apps that lets me set up the way I like- I do not like bubble style conversation SMS as I prefer list type (or threaded), I always use list type texts and HTC's stock SMS is icky looking. I had ChompSMS on my Blackberry which was decent, but the Android version isn't even close.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I installed Textra but I can't find an option to change the date format so that the day comes first followed by the month. I'm not used to M/D and it confuses me.

slckofit

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Using textra here and it's great and very light weight. I was finally able to send pics after plugging in the mmsc url, but noticed that picture quality isn't so great. I've tried 1MB, 2MB and no limit sizes with the same results. I also noticed when I receive text from more than one person, the notification bar doesn't group the texts together and display the text count, instead I get separate icons per text.

MiguelZarz

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
While textra is light and simple, there's not much to it, the ui can use a few tweaks. Go is loaded with useless crap ( I used it for a long time so I know well) and chomp is good but doesn't give you a premium feeling. For me sliding messaging just works. It has like 4 UI's, all which are esthetically pleasing and comply to Google design guidelines. It just feels slick. If you like the ios look then try textra. But just test them out, everyone has different likes/needs.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I installed Textra but I can't find an option to change the date format so that the day comes first followed by the month. I'm not used to M/D and it confuses me.

Me too. Love the stock sms app. The only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was have a "resend" option. Minor inconvenience though...I just use forward if I need to resend now.

Posted via Android Central App

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Me too. Love the stock sms app. The only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was have a "resend" option. Minor inconvenience though...I just use forward if I need to resend now.

I have sent an email to the Textra SMS Team about having the option to change the date format and they said that it would take time to consider and then develop this feature to ensure it's done really really well but nevertheless they assured me that they have noted my feedback.

They were really helpful, so if you want, you can send them an email at help@textra.me
They're really quick in replying back.

emt981

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Handcent for a while now, just got the HTC One about a month ago, Motorola Photon prior. Handcent has worked well for me with little problem. While the stock messaging app is fine a necessity for me was repeat reminders of a received message, in case I didn't hear/feel it the first time. The ability to change the notifications (icons, vibrate and sound) based on contact is important to me (work overtime, etc.) I haven't used Textra so I can't comment on it, but did use GoSMS previously and it just became too bloated and uncomfortable.

Stevelopez91

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I am also using textra, but the one thing I miss about using the stock SMS app is the ability to check messages from the lock screen via the productivity setting. Anyone know of any possible solutions/alternatives? I'm not rooted, by the way.

eyoussef

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Installed Textra based on people's reviews, seems to be a good app, it's light, no ads, allows customizability, wakes up the locked screen which I wanted. So far I like it.

Is there a way to show who the message is from on the lock screen with NO message preview? I know the stock app shows a lock screen notification but the minimum is a 1 line preview. If not, do any of the other mentioned texting apps do this?

AMKhatri

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Been using Handscent which is pretty good, though slow in my opinion.
Tried Textra which is very fast, but just lacks some of the features that I needed, as I mainly send SMS to groups of people...

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
How do you make textra the default text app? Ive been using gosms pro for a long time and I cant seem to keep it from over riding textra for incoming texts. Help?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you make textra the default text app? Ive been using gosms pro for a long time and I cant seem to keep it from over riding textra for incoming texts. Help?

I think you might want to uninstall Gosms Pro. I wasn't able to located anything to make Textra default, it just did it over stock messenger for me. I find having multiple pieces of software that do the same thing will really make a mess (keyboards are a good example).

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I uninstalled gosms pro. One question...can I safely assume textra handles mms and group texting as well as gosms pro does?

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I uninstalled gosms pro. One question...can I safely assume textra handles mms and group texting as well as gosms pro does?

Yes, all the above work. from the Play store description:
Includes a bunch of great features like 800+ emoji's, animated GIFs, radically cool quick reply popup, better MMS and GROUP messaging! Plus oh so easy per contact customization for bubble colors, delivery reports and notifications (icon color, led color, sound, vibrate pattern, privacy and popup). Nice Dark Mode as well.

Trekker

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have sent an email to the Textra SMS Team about having the option to change the date format and they said that it would take time to consider and then develop this feature to ensure it's done really really well but nevertheless they assured me that they have noted my feedback.
Wow...that's the same word-for-word reply that they gave me when I asked about adding a character count. I now have to wonder if they actually read my email or just sent a canned response.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Wow...that's the same word-for-word reply that they gave me when I asked about adding a character count. I now have to wonder if they actually read my email or just sent a canned response.

I have sent some followup questions and from the responses I've had I assure you that they do actually read the emails ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: