Today at my local Best Buy: Samsung vs. HTC

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing I find more disappointing is the lack of HTC ONE accessories. They only had 2 cases and Zagg screen protectors. Both of the cases were sold out, so the demand is there, but they just don't have crap. I have long felt Best Buy was going down hill. Wouldn't be surprised if they had another round of store closings due to the way they are ran.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Here is the difference in presentation. I'm not saying HTC should put more money here, or even that they can. Samsung has so much money compared to HTC that I'm sure HTC has to be selective with its marketing dollars. I am just saying the difference is stark.

First, Samsung's mini-store. (Pay no attention to the weird guy with the rep.)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/ldater/IMAG0227_zpsbb09e465.jpg

Next, the HTC display, in its entirety. (Oh, they didn't even have the tags correct...showed the black as "silver" on the label.)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207/ldater/IMAG0228_zps1374e425.jpg

I talked with the Samsung chick for about ten minutes. We had a pleasant conversation, but she definitely had her script.

Her: "HTC has inferior hardware. Just look at the Inspire."
Me: "Aside from a couple of missteps, most people in the know consider HTC hardware to be high-end. The One X was/is outstanding, and the One is simply breathtaking."
Her: "Yeah, it's nice."

Her: "Samsung has a better camera."
Me: "Debatable. It is nice, but the One is much better in indoor and low lighting. And you should see my video highlights with Zoes!"
Her: "Yeah."

Her: "The display and colors are so much better on the GS4."
Me: "Really? I guess if you like oversaturation and a more cartoonish appearance. The One has much more realistic colors, and you can see it in daylight"
Her: "Oh."
I did acknowledge that the GS4 has a very nice display, and I like that you can set different display modes to match your preferences or type of media you're viewing.

Me: "One thing I don't like about AMOLED is the propensity to get burn-in if you don't watch it."
Her: "Really" I've never seen burn-in on one of them."
Me: "My GN2, which I absolutely LOVE, has some slight burn in from my weather widget. It's not *bad*, but you can definitely see it if the background is white and nothing is covering the area."
Her: "Well, you could turn down the screen brightness."
Me: "Yeah, I could, but I prefer to enjoy it at its maximum brightness and glory, especially in bright settings. I don't worry about that on my One."

As I said, it was not in any way a debate or argument. They're just phones, and I don't own stock in either company. I just wanted to engage her in conversation for a while to see what the Samsung script would be. Nothing surprised me.

TIFWIW...

Actually GSM arena rated the gs4 camera as better, even in low light.

Plus the Samsung is clicked higher, bigger battery, bigger screen. I'm in the know and I'd buy the Samsung over the HTC any day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigtnew

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually GSM arena rated the gs4 camera as better, even in low light.

Plus the Samsung is clicked higher, bigger battery, bigger screen. I'm in the know and I'd buy the Samsung over the HTC any day

You're in the know, lolz. I guess we're all lucky just to be in the same forum as you. GFY!

Posted via Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You're in the know, lolz. I guess we're all lucky just to be in the same forum as you. GFY!

Sometime implied that people in the know would pick the one, my point is in in the know and I wouldn't.

One is a great phone no doubt, but I'd go with Samsung

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
OP, if I'm walking into a store and see someone getting paid specifically to push a particular product, it would immediately occur to me that engaging in a debate would be a pointless waste of time. What did you accomplish?

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
OP, if I'm walking into a store and see someone getting paid specifically to push a particular product, it would immediately occur to me that engaging in a debate would be a pointless waste of time. What did you accomplish?

Well, if "get into a debate with a paid rep" was on my to-do list for the day, I'm golden! :D

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sometime implied that people in the know would pick the one, my point is in in the know and I wouldn't.

You're not anymore in the know than anyone else that's here.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
This guy again with false info. Best buy associates don't work on commission. If that was a Samsung employees which I doubt cuz of the shirt then maybe but the sale would go to a BB employee.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

The Samsung guys have blue shirts too, but they're a brighter shade with a Samsung logo. They're also completely useless at answering questions. And they work on commission.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Those pics look exactly like the store by me. Including the way the Samsung area looked like a Ghost Town. I found most people still in the mobile phone section. Not sure these mini-stores are having the impact they wanted or thought they would. Though I think they would be great at Christmas time.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much traffic this one is getting. I was there from shortly after they opened for about 30 minutes. Only saw 3-4 people wander into the area during my brief visit. It may have gotten pretty busy later.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What part of "As I said, it was not in any way a debate or argument" in my OP did you fail to understand? Let me be clear: this was a friendly discussion about the devices. Very casual and relaxed.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Wrong. I said, "Most people in the know consider HTC hardware to be high-end." What you said was not even close.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
What part of "As I said, it was not in any way a debate or argument" in my OP did you fail to understand? Let me be clear: this was a friendly discussion about the devices. Very casual and relaxed.

My mistake then. You corrected all her points, and inside she was thinking "god I hope this odd man leaves soon" and humoring you to speed that wish up. That's much more accurate than my last post, thanks for the correction.

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung guys have blue shirts too, but they're a brighter shade with a Samsung logo. They're also completely useless at answering questions. And they work on commission.

So they are getting the commission for a phone that a bb associate has charged a customer for? Even when they don't work for bb directly.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
My mistake then. You corrected all her points, and inside she was thinking "god I hope this odd man leaves soon" and humoring you to speed that wish up. That's much more accurate than my last post, thanks for the correction.
I agree. He was very odd. Paisley and camo rarely flatter, and they are an especially poor choice after Memorial Day.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
At the Best Buy by me, the Samsung display was totally done by a Samsung employee. He told me I couldn't buy from him but that he was there to inform people about the products and if I wanted to buy, he could get a Best Buy employee to help me. I'm just not that impressed by the whole Samsung thing and in kind of a hurry so I moved on after fiddling with an S4 for a couple of minutes.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So they are getting the commission for a phone that a bb associate has charged a customer for? Even when they don't work for bb directly.

Probably not a commission per se but I'm sure their pay is at lease in part dependent on how well the store sells Samsung products.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Wrong. I said, "Most people in the know consider HTC hardware to be high-end." What you said was not even close.

This. He did say count it as high-end. He didn't say they would chose it.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.