Today at my local Best Buy: Samsung vs. HTC

Sterling147

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The thing I find more disappointing is the lack of HTC ONE accessories. They only had 2 cases and Zagg screen protectors. Both of the cases were sold out, so the demand is there, but they just don't have crap. I have long felt Best Buy was going down hill. Wouldn't be surprised if they had another round of store closings due to the way they are ran.

Amazon.com has a large selection of cases and screen protectors for the HTC ONE, at cheaper prices. You can also find cases and screen protectors on manufacturer's and other web sites. You can also search for cases using Google or other search engines

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com has a large selection of cases and screen protectors for the HTC ONE, at cheaper prices. You can also find cases and screen protectors on manufacturer's and other web sites. You can also search for cases using Google or other search engines

And shopandroid.com

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not the questions but more so his response, but I guess a convo is a convo

"Her: "The display and colors are so much better on the GS4."
Me: "Really? I guess if you like oversaturation and a more cartoonish appearance. The One has much more realistic colors, and you can see it in daylight""

That's not being a jerk. He would have been a jerk if he responded to that with: "the s4 screen is over saturated ****. How can you tell people to buy that?"

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
My question is why the hell do people goto Best Buy to get new phones ? I've always had good service buying from the carrier or manufacture.

One of the biggest reasons is that you can compare phones and plans from all the carriers in one place as opposed to running all over town store to store. Also they have a fairly good warranty program.

I live in New York City and also have not seen a working ONE in any of the Best Buys I have gone to. Furthermore, I have not seen a live black ONE demo in any Sprint or AT&T store I have gone into. More than one Sprint sales rep told me that they were not given a demo model for the black model (presumably by HTC).

Interesting, I had no trouble at all in finding an AT&T store with a demo model of the One. In fact they were using it to play music on for the whole store.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
My question is why the hell do people goto Best Buy to get new phones ? I've always had good service buying from the carrier or manufacture. (Back in the day I was well pleased with the pricing and service I got buying directly from Motorola.)
For us? Money. I got $120 for my Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch at Best Buy, Sprint wanted to give me $70. My wife got $280 for her 16GB iPhone 4S, Sprint was going to give $170. It was economically advantageous to go with Best Buy. We don't have the $400 laying around to be able to buy new phones first then try to sell them on Swappa or Ebay or Craigs List. At Best Buy, she got her new 32GB iPhone and I got my One for about $40 (I also traded in my Motorola Photon, got $60).

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Plus best buys insurance is much better IF you are accident prone. 160$ up front with unlimited replacements.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If you know what you're looking for BBY stores are a good deal IMO. I generally try to support them so I have a place to check out tech if I can find what I want there. They price match everything, even major online retailers, you can sample multiple devices in one place and their trade in prices on phones are very competitive. Order online, pick up at counter. What could be easier?

I don't use them for advice on anything 'cuz employees don't have the product depth in most cases. I always know what I want or at least have it narrowed down to a few choices. My latest favorite over the weekend was the mobile lady trying to tell me Beats Audio on the One only worked with Beats headphones. Oy! :confused:

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Not to be mean, but you were kind of being a jerk in a way
You were downing the GS4 when you knew she was a Samsung representative
I would have probably had the same responses if I was her

And of course Samsung's station would be bigger...they had the money to pay for it
Not at all. It's difficult to accurately portray our conversation in a few lines on a message board. I really wasn't "downing" the GS4, though I could see how someone might interpret it that way. We were honestly just having a friendly discussion. I wasn't brusque or snarky as my OP may have sounded. I spoke very highly of the GS4 and about Samsung in general. Conversely, I pointed out areas where I thought the HTC One was better.

I really like Samsung products and own many of them. I absolutely LOVE my Note II. However, I'm not afraid to respectfully disagree with someone if the general tone of the discussion makes it reasonable to do so.

Last edited:

andresgalvan98

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Classic case of false promotion.
At Best Buy about a month ago, I was looking at a 32" 720p TV. One of the blue shirts saw me interested in it, and probably seeing my age, she informed me that it had one of the highest resolutions of any display. I told her that wasn't possible because 1080p and 4K exist. Then I really showed her and pulled out my One and said "Even my phone has a higher resolution, it's 1080p" I could tell I surprised her, because she replekd with "Ohh, that's right, Nevermind. Do you like this one?"

I love proving people wrong :)

Posted via Android Central App

andresgalvan98

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you know what you're looking for BBY stores are a good deal IMO. I generally try to support them so I have a place to check out tech if I can find what I want there. They price match everything, even major online retailers, you can sample multiple devices in one place and their trade in prices on phones are very competitive. Order online, pick up at counter. What could be easier?

I don't use them for advice on anything 'cuz employees don't have the product depth in most cases. I always know what I want or at least have it narrowed down to a few choices. My latest favorite over the weekend was the mobile lady trying to tell me Beats Audio on the One only worked with Beats headphones. Oy! :confused:

Not true. I turned Beats Audio on and off while listening to #thatPOWER by will.I.am and it's REALLY noticeable. Try it out yourself with a piece that's sort of bass heavy.

Sterling147

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the biggest reasons is that you can compare phones and plans from all the carriers in one place as opposed to running all over town store to store. Also they have a fairly good warranty program.

Interesting, I had no trouble at all in finding an AT&T store with a demo model of the One. In fact they were using it to play music on for the whole store.

That is possible. I use Sprint and have gone to many Sprint stores to try to see the black model. I have only gone to one or two AT&T stores, just to try and see what they look like since I purchased my silver phone before the black model was released. Actually, I haven't been to an AT&T store in a while, so that may have changed. I will look again today since I am still curious.

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Apples are blue...really? Violets are Red...I guess...Anyhoo....We have one of the new Samsung booths at our Best Buy... The chick (girl/woman) I talked to was semi-knowledgeable about her wares...However, when we got to talking about other stuff and it came down to getting her number, she whipped out an HTC One... I am NOT making it up. When I went to T-Mob to inquire about service in my area, the guy said "I don't really know, dude, man, I'm on Verizon" and was using an S3....When I went to the Sprint store, the guy was using a One as his personal phone.... hmmm

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Exactly the same. Att had The One's music playing last visit I made there

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly the same. Att had The One's music playing last visit I made there

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. In addition, they're one of the few remaining places I can go to look at gadgets hands-on and compare to online prices. If I can get them to price match or at least be close to what I can get online, I try to support them. We NEED a Best Buy or other brick and mortar establishments to be able to touch and feel things before buying.

Same here. In fact, the same Best Buy in my OP had two working models, one black and one silver.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
For us? Money. I got $120 for my Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch at Best Buy, Sprint wanted to give me $70. My wife got $280 for her 16GB iPhone 4S, Sprint was going to give $170. It was economically advantageous to go with Best Buy. We don't have the $400 laying around to be able to buy new phones first then try to sell them on Swappa or Ebay or Craigs List. At Best Buy, she got her new 32GB iPhone and I got my One for about $40 (I also traded in my Motorola Photon, got $60).

No kidding... I'll have to check that out next time. I got $ 100 from AT&T for my 9810, and it had a few 'beauty' marks. Gazelle had said $80 and I don't ever feel like dealing with EBay, CL, or Swappa either. I wonder what BB would have given.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

Did not know Best Buy did this. Hopefully I'll get a little something for my 4S when the Verizon One launches.

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Not true. I turned Beats Audio on and off while listening to #thatPOWER by will.I.am and it's REALLY noticeable. Try it out yourself with a piece that's sort of bass heavy.

You're misread my post. The woman said Beats Audio only works with Beats headphones which of course is inaccurate. No doubt Beats Audio changes the audio profile.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
One thing about the whole best buy knowledge base in general.

I was in the camera section about 11 years ago. The manager was there along with a couple other employees. Somebody was looking at 3 cameras and asking which one would have the best picture quality. (They were all 3 or 4 megapixel I believe). The employee wasn't sure and asked the manager, the manager told him to pick a specific camera because it had the best digital zoom even though it had less optical zoom than the other ones.

So your Antagonist (me), told the manager that digital zoom distorts the picture the larger the amount is, and he would wanted the camera with the best optical zoom. I also told her that If what she said was true, there would be no reasons for people to sell any cameras with optical zoom. No reason for camera lenses anymore.

She proceded to argue with me and instead of saying anything like here are the reasons why digital zoom is better.

She said "I'm the manager and I know the products in my department. Digital zoom is better".

So another person steps in and states to her "I understand you are the manager, but I am a professional photographer. That person is right, optical zoom is better and that is what you should have recommended. You might want to learn more about the differences between the two before you recommend any more cameras."

Being the Antagonist I am, I went off to complain about her and her lack of knowledge to the Store Manager.

What is the moral of this story.

First after that day, I learned never to trust what a Best Buy employee has told me. In fact in my experience they continue to misinform people. Don't trust their Geek Squad either.

Second do some research first or maybe ask your "nerd" friend. They could be completely wrong but it is better to take your chances with a friend than some random employee.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
She said "I'm the manager and I know the products in my department. Digital zoom is better".

What's funny is that somehow being in management would bestow product knowledge in a way that education or experience could not. Management is about managing people, it's just easier if you know what their job is.