iOS is in my rear view mirror

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an HTC One yesterday after spending over 5 years with iPhones. I have read through many of your posts regarding expectations, etc. when moving from the apple ecosystem over to google's. I must say that your advice has been so good! I knew exactly what to expect and actually found that getting used to android was easier than I expected. I feel 95% acclimated to my new phone in less than 24 hours. I have figured out how to get the OS working for me how I like, downloaded all my favorite apps from the iphone (only 2 of my favorites weren't available for android), and downloaded a bunch of new apps for the first time, like those for customizing widgets and launchers. Syncing my music was a cinch. I am amazed by the seemingly endless possibilities of how I want to set up my software, and even though I am so new to Android, my android can handle just about everything my iphone can and do it better and faster, with fewer taps, swipes, etc. required by me. So thank you to everyone for all your help to us Apple converts!

The only thing I miss are the notifications and Siri knowing where my "brother" lives, etc. so it's easier to pull up directions, etc. But it's nothing I can't work around.

I know it's early but I'm hoping this is the beginning of a great partnership!

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations. I've also had the HTC One for about six weeks and it's a very nice phone, the first Android I've decided to keep for more than two weeks.

However, there are things I miss from iOS. For instance, micro-scrubbing in the music app, and the fact that I had to research and find a third-party music player app that would allow gapless track playback properly. Also, how in the heck do you switch input from Bluetooth to the phone? The only way I've found to do it by choice is by turning off my Bluetooth device.

Text handling is a bit dodgy as well, at least on AT&T.

Several of my apps, such as MLB At Bat and Comcast Remote, aren't as full-featured as their iOS equivalents.

Not dealbreakers, to be sure, but a bit frustrating.

All in all, though, I'm enjoying my One. Love the 4.7" screen, stereo speakers, and automatic text formatting in the browser.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just bought an HTC One yesterday after spending over 5 years with iPhones. I have read through many of your posts regarding expectations, etc. when moving from the apple ecosystem over to google's. I must say that your advice has been so good! I knew exactly what to expect and actually found that getting used to android was easier than I expected. I feel 95% acclimated to my new phone in less than 24 hours. I have figured out how to get the OS working for me how I like, downloaded all my favorite apps from the iphone (only 2 of my favorites weren't available for android), and downloaded a bunch of new apps for the first time, like those for customizing widgets and launchers. Syncing my music was a cinch. I am amazed by the seemingly endless possibilities of how I want to set up my software, and even though I am so new to Android, my android can handle just about everything my iphone can and do it better and faster, with fewer taps, swipes, etc. required by me. So thank you to everyone for all your help to us Apple converts!

The only thing I miss are the notifications and Siri knowing where my "brother" lives, etc. so it's easier to pull up directions, etc. But it's nothing I can't work around.

Glad you are loving Android!! There is always something more to learn. Every now and then I learn something on Android.
Cheers!!

Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I also came from 5 years of iPhones, not giving up my iPad yet though! I miss the swipe to delete function and a mechanical mute button. There are a few other things that aren't necessarily worse, just different. Now if Apple loosens up on iOS 7 AND releases a 4.8" iPhone I'd have a hard time not going back...

Gathomblipoob

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I also came from 5 years of iPhones, not giving up my iPad yet though! I miss the swipe to delete function and a mechanical mute button. There are a few other things that aren't necessarily worse, just different. Now if Apple loosens up on iOS 7 AND releases a 4.8" iPhone I'd have a hard time not going back...

If there was an iPhone with a 4.7" screen and permanently jailbroken, I'd go back and never look back. :D

Grizzly_Atoms

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm hopeful that with iOS 7 Apple loosens up on some of the customization options, that's one of the things I really like about Android. I continue to think that the perfect OS is a hybrid of Android and iOS.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Very glad to hear you made the transition smoothly. Keep digging. I think there are ways to get iPhone like notifications (this will drain battery a bit by turning on the screen) so you might find something in the Play store. I'm also glad you found the posts on here helpful. I never use them but try out some launchers. People seem to love them. It's funny, I think you've proven, to me at least, that if an iPhone user does their research before switching they are much more satisfied with Android than those who buy a phone on a whim thinking it will be a bigger iPhone. Welcome and feel free to ask more questions. Like I've stated before, you would not believe how people customize these phones. I really like the minimalist setups people have done that look so integrated and slick. It's almost art sometimes.

Edit: oh you tried launchers! Good deal. Ignore that part then.

Antitryptic

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to have you around these parts! I was very much in the same situation as you, but two years ago with the iPhone 4S. I'm glad I made the switch to the HTC One X back then... things have never looked brighter. Congrats with the switch and I hope you enjoy your time with the HTC One; I know I am.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Glad to hear you switch to Android the free and open OS. A couple tips for Androids prettiest new user. First off play in the play store not just apps but everything they give away a lot of music and TV shows so check that out. I have a great app for you its call app sale its shows what apps are on sale and you can have it watch apps and show you when the apps are on sale. Also you should get the Amazon.com app store.
Amazon.com has their own app store for android where they give away a free paid app every day once you "purchase" it once you can delete it off your phone and download it any time again for free. There are a few easy steps that you need to do to get the app store on your phone. Please note that Amazon.com has 3 apps for Android. First is the Amazon.com app which is a app for shopping Amazon.com The second is the Amazon app store which is where you get free apps. To get the app store you have to download the app for shopping Amazon.com from Google Play Store. The third app is Amazon.com's mp3 store where you can buy songs from Amazon.com.

You need to set your phone up to download apps from non play store sources. To do that go to settings on your phone its usually found under security there will be a setting for "unknown Sources" make sure that's checked.
After you've checked "unknown sources" download the Amazon store on your phone. Go to Google Play store on your phone and search for Amazon and download the store app.
Then open the app and search for any android any application like "cut the rope" click on the app. It will then take you to the apps page and at the bottom it says "buy now from Amazon App store click on it.
It then downloads the Amazon app store file to the phone. You can find the download progress in the status bar. So drag down the status bar from the top and you'll see the download its small so it doesn't take a long time.
once its down downloaded press on the download then it will go to a screen that tells about the app and at the bottom it has two buttons "cancel" and "install" click install and the Amazon App store will install.
Once you open the app you'll need to log in with an Amazon.com account. If you don't have one you can go to a computer and go to amazon.com and create one.

If you have any other questions please let me know

Chosen414

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Happy for you, not sure if you've got accustomed to Google Now yet but i first used it with my one and its extremely helpful as far as directions to places and what not, kind of like a voiceless siri...(loosely)

ipeaches

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
^I haven't gotten accustomed to Google now but so far I am pretty impressed by it! I'm pretty excited to see what else it has in store for me since I've only had the phone a couple of days and Google Now hasn't had that much time to show me what it can do.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci