Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Default Re: So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

This is a very good question and one that I struggle well as I decide if i'm going to keep the phone. It is FACT and undeniable that these batteries over time do give out. If the didn't then the stores wouldn't keep replacable batteries on deck. My GN2 has shown tremendous wear and tear and can barely muster through 8 hours without needed a charge. My friend has and HTC phone with a non removable battery and she can't even get past 5 hours without needing to charge. I truly believe that Li Ion batteries have a most a 1 year life spand. Especially for those of us who charge overnight.

Use it has a nice looking paper weight. Lol. the battery is a li-po ion. They usually have a 600-800 recharge cycle rate before they start to die. It should be good for two years. U might have to email htc about the cost of replacing it. Usually carries have a warranty/repair center and they might be able to replace it there.

But with how often phones change they might nor carry batteries for ut in a year or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by truthteller10 View Post
    This is a very good question and one that I struggle well as I decide if i'm going to keep the phone. It is FACT and undeniable that these batteries over time do give out. If the didn't then the stores wouldn't keep replacable batteries on deck. My GN2 has shown tremendous wear and tear and can barely muster through 8 hours without needed a charge. My friend has and HTC phone with a non removable battery and she can't even get past 5 hours without needing to charge. I truly believe that Li Ion batteries have a most a 1 year life spand. Especially for those of us who charge overnight.
    That's just not true at all. I've always been able to get over two years of decent battery life on my phones including the one I am using now. But yes, at some point all batteries need replacing. But none of us are going to be using the same phones five or ten years down the road. At least I hope no one here will be!
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    That's just not true at all. I've always been able to get over two years of decent battery life on my phones including the one I am using now. But yes, at some point all batteries need replacing. But none of us are going to be using the same phones five or ten years down the road. At least I hope no one here will be!
    You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.

You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.
    Read the article I linked in this thread and change your charging habits and you may find your battery health exceeds your previous experience. As anecdotal evidence my two year old EVO 3D battery has probably 80% capacity which is pretty good in my mind considering I only discovered the best way to maintain battery health a year into ownership. Best luck.

He's not the one with the special case. It is not normal, and is certainly out of spec, for a battery to have the issues you describe after that period of time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Htc ain't exactly got the best reputation for battery life
    Generalizations are bad, mmmkay?

Edit: Looks like I was more or less right in my first reply...

"All around me a familiar faces
    Worn out arguments
    Worn out faces
    Bright and early for their races
    (this thread is) Going nowhere
    Going nowhere..."

Last edited by Rndomuser; 06-10-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    They only have a bad reputation from people that have never actually used an HTC device. Their devices for the last several years have all had exceptional battery life.

Not true at all

Htc evo 4g
    Htc evo 3d
    Htc evo shift
    Htc Thunderbolt
    one x
    Droid DNA
    Evo 4g lte
    htc one s (was great when it was new, but died pretty quickly)
    Htc Rezound

All have bad battery life.

I've owned a couple of those devices and either me or a lot of customers or people close to me can attest that those devices have terrible battery life.

And with battery life it doesn't get better over time, no it goes the other way around...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Not true at all

Htc evo 4g
    Htc evo 3d
    Htc evo shift
    Htc Thunderbolt
    one x
    Droid DNA
    Evo 4g lte
    htc one s (was great when it was new, but died pretty quickly)
    Htc Rezound

All have bad battery life.

I've owned a couple of those devices and either me or a lot of customers or people close to me can attest that those devices have terrible battery life.

And with battery life it doesn't get better over time, no it goes the other way around...

Now I know you're just making stuff up because the DNA does not have anything resembling terrible battery life.

Topgonzo likes this.

That would be Verizon's fault, not HTCs.
    I thought we were talking about battery life.
    Why is it Verizon's fault the TB had bad battery life?
    Device: Verizon Note2

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I thought we were talking about battery life.
    Why is it Verizon's fault the TB had bad battery life?
    Because Verizon's demands crippled that device from the get go.

Certain trolls that are continually posting baiting threads.
    Yeah so instead if letting them get to you, ignore them.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
    JeffDenver likes this.

My wife and I have both been using iPhones through 2 year cycles since the first one and have not experienced significant battery loss over time.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by ipeaches View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth. This is my plan as well. I was either going to do this or bring a charger every where I go. LOL.

I haven't bought insurance for any of my phones for almost 10 years and I've never regretted it.

Also, with Verizon's insurance plan, after paying the deductible you may not even get a new phone, more often than not, you get a refurbished phone. I think I could do better with a phone off eBay.
    Same here! Even my release day Palm Pre- still has the same battery and not an issue wrong with it. Its going on 4-5 years old now. (I think?)

I have 4 batteries for my Thunderbolt, and I easily need 2 to get through the day.
    With the HTC One you will only need about half of its battery with Google Now, GPS/Google Maps data connection all turned off. No complaints from me in the battery dept.

That would be Verizon's fault, not HTCs.
    How was it Verizon's fault? Sorry I do no know much about the back story here. However I'd like to know.

As far as anyone worried about the HTC One battery...Don't be. It's pretty solid thus far!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Based on my 2 daughters and 3 sons experience with the iPhone I would have to agree. They are always charging their phones in the afternoon when they come to visit. On a recent vacation my one daughter's iPhone 5 needed charging at about 4pm every day. I know that is anecdotal information but it is odd that 5 people with iPhones have the same battery problems. But then again:

Quote Originally Posted by tohio View Post
    Based on my 2 daughters and 3 sons experience with the iPhone I would have to agree. They are always charging their phones in the afternoon when they come to visit. On a recent vacation my one daughter's iPhone 5 needed charging at about 4pm every day. I know that is anecdotal information but it is odd that 5 people with iPhones have the same battery problems. But then again:
    Same with my coworker.

He's always charging his iPhone 5 in the middle of the day

tohio likes this.

It can be a real pain when you watch your battery drain, and you're no where near a power source.
    I know my days are numbered, but as long as a phones with removable batteries are available, that's what I'll be buying.
    Device: Verizon Note2

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by tohio View Post
    The problem with complaints could be a lot of issues. Like with the HTC Evo 3D/4G I never really had an issue that I blamed on HTC. It was Sprint's crap network in Vermont. You would tops get 1-2 bars of 3G data service. The same with my Palm Pre-. So with personal experience with these phones I do not blame HTC. Thats not to say that no one had battery problems.

Now with att my HTC One at the end of the day will have around 50% of its battery left. So I have only been charging at night so far. But no matter what at the end of the day you will always have complaints about batteries. Just the nature of the beast I guess.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)

It can be a real pain when you watch your battery drain, and you're no where near a power source.
    I know my days are numbered, but as long as a phones with removable batteries are available, that's what I'll be buying.
    Or you can get an external battery. There is that option.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by mrbootcrm View Post
    True fact.

There is the HTC official one. But if you look on Amazon you will find many more options as well.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Thanked by:

Read the article I linked in this thread and change your charging habits and you may find your battery health exceeds your previous experience. As anecdotal evidence my two year old EVO 3D battery has probably 80% capacity which is pretty good in my mind considering I only discovered the best way to maintain battery health a year into ownership. Best luck.
    That's some good information (in the article), although I'd say it's much more relevant to devices with sealed/embedded batteries. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery, I can use it however I wish knowing it can be easily replaced any time. No need to change my use or charging habits to try to maximize battery life or longevity.

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

OK, I first went to their warranty page, and was unable to find a policy regarding battery. I have emailed HTC asking what they would do should the battery faily to hold a significant charge at 6 months, or 18 months, and am awaiting their reply. Once I get that reply, I will post it here, and then we'll all know for sure what their position on battery replacement is.

In all likelyhood the battery will easily last you more than 2 years, and should still give good life at 3 years. My concern is though that is usually the case - what recourse do I have if I get a battery that is a lemon? I'll post a reply once they reply to me.

Here is the warranty I was able to pull for their Android phones in the US:

Their limited warranty is for 12 months, but nothing in the warranty talks specifically about the battery, except voiding the warranty by shorting the battery or other mallicious means.

It would be a shame if the warranty for the battery was only 12 months, when most people are on a 24 month contract. As badly as I want this phone, It also makes me hesitant knowing that I have no recourse should the battery fail at 18 months, which is even more punishing because verizon/att are scrapping their 20 month upgrade renewals and pushing it even further to 24 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    That's some good information (in the article), although I'd say it's much more relevant to devices with sealed/embedded batteries. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery, I can use it however I wish knowing it can be easily replaced any time. No need to change my use or charging habits to try to maximize battery life or longevity.
    Why be wasteful? Because you can? Wouldn't it be smarter to keep your battery as healthy as you can for as long as you can? You change the oil in your car right? It's the same idea.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Noremacam View Post
    OK, I first went to their warranty page, and was unable to find a policy regarding battery. I have emailed HTC asking what they would do should the battery faily to hold a significant charge at 6 months, or 18 months, and am awaiting their reply. Once I get that reply, I will post it here, and then we'll all know for sure what their position on battery replacement is.

In all likelyhood the battery will easily last you more than 2 years, and should still give good life at 3 years. My concern is though that is usually the case - what recourse do I have if I get a battery that is a lemon? I'll post a reply once they reply to me.

Here is the warranty I was able to pull for their Android phones in the US:

Their limited warranty is for 12 months, but nothing in the warranty talks specifically about the battery, except voiding the warranty by shorting the battery or other mallicious means.

It would be a shame if the warranty for the battery was only 12 months, when most people are on a 24 month contract. As badly as I want this phone, It also makes me hesitant knowing that I have no recourse should the battery fail at 18 months, which is even more punishing because verizon/att are scrapping their 20 month upgrade renewals and pushing it even further to 24 months.
    I just called HTC. They confirmed that they do cover the battery and it can be found within the paper work of your phone's warranty. (12 months from the date it was bought.)
    HTC One (ATT GSM)

Of course with a removable battery he doesn't need an external battery.
    Thanked by:
    JeffDenver and The Hustleman like this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast