So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.
My wife and I have both been using iPhones through 2 year cycles since the first one and have not experienced significant battery loss over time.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
You took the words out of my mouth. This is my plan as well. I was either going to do this or bring a charger every where I go. LOL.

I haven't bought insurance for any of my phones for almost 10 years and I've never regretted it.

Also, with Verizon's insurance plan, after paying the deductible you may not even get a new phone, more often than not, you get a refurbished phone. I think I could do better with a phone off eBay.

Same here! Even my release day Palm Pre- still has the same battery and not an issue wrong with it. Its going on 4-5 years old now. (I think?)

I have 4 batteries for my Thunderbolt, and I easily need 2 to get through the day.

With the HTC One you will only need about half of its battery with Google Now, GPS/Google Maps data connection all turned off. No complaints from me in the battery dept.

That would be Verizon's fault, not HTCs.

How was it Verizon's fault? Sorry I do no know much about the back story here. However I'd like to know. :)

As far as anyone worried about the HTC One battery...Don't be. It's pretty solid thus far!

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You have a very special case then..Just about everyone I know that has an Iphone has battery that basically is depleted and can't hold a charge for long.

Based on my 2 daughters and 3 sons experience with the iPhone I would have to agree. They are always charging their phones in the afternoon when they come to visit. On a recent vacation my one daughter's iPhone 5 needed charging at about 4pm every day. I know that is anecdotal information but it is odd that 5 people with iPhones have the same battery problems. But then again:
iOS 6.1.4 Battery Life Complaints Mount

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Based on my 2 daughters and 3 sons experience with the iPhone I would have to agree. They are always charging their phones in the afternoon when they come to visit. On a recent vacation my one daughter's iPhone 5 needed charging at about 4pm every day. I know that is anecdotal information but it is odd that 5 people with iPhones have the same battery problems. But then again:

Same with my coworker.

He's always charging his iPhone 5 in the middle of the day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
It can be a real pain when you watch your battery drain, and you're no where near a power source.
I know my days are numbered, but as long as a phones with removable batteries are available, that's what I'll be buying.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

The problem with complaints could be a lot of issues. Like with the HTC Evo 3D/4G I never really had an issue that I blamed on HTC. It was Sprint's crap network in Vermont. You would tops get 1-2 bars of 3G data service. The same with my Palm Pre-. So with personal experience with these phones I do not blame HTC. Thats not to say that no one had battery problems.

Now with att my HTC One at the end of the day will have around 50% of its battery left. So I have only been charging at night so far. But no matter what at the end of the day you will always have complaints about batteries. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It can be a real pain when you watch your battery drain, and you're no where near a power source.
I know my days are numbered, but as long as a phones with removable batteries are available, that's what I'll be buying.

Or you can get an external battery. There is that option.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Read the article I linked in this thread and change your charging habits and you may find your battery health exceeds your previous experience. As anecdotal evidence my two year old EVO 3D battery has probably 80% capacity which is pretty good in my mind considering I only discovered the best way to maintain battery health a year into ownership. Best luck.

That's some good information (in the article), although I'd say it's much more relevant to devices with sealed/embedded batteries. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery, I can use it however I wish knowing it can be easily replaced any time. No need to change my use or charging habits to try to maximize battery life or longevity. :)

Noremacam

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, I first went to their warranty page, and was unable to find a policy regarding battery. I have emailed HTC asking what they would do should the battery faily to hold a significant charge at 6 months, or 18 months, and am awaiting their reply. Once I get that reply, I will post it here, and then we'll all know for sure what their position on battery replacement is.

In all likelyhood the battery will easily last you more than 2 years, and should still give good life at 3 years. My concern is though that is usually the case - what recourse do I have if I get a battery that is a lemon? I'll post a reply once they reply to me.

Here is the warranty I was able to pull for their Android phones in the US:

http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Manual/Warranty/Android/0525_G_WarrantyEULA_76x126_US-BP.pdf

Their limited warranty is for 12 months, but nothing in the warranty talks specifically about the battery, except voiding the warranty by shorting the battery or other mallicious means.

It would be a shame if the warranty for the battery was only 12 months, when most people are on a 24 month contract. As badly as I want this phone, It also makes me hesitant knowing that I have no recourse should the battery fail at 18 months, which is even more punishing because verizon/att are scrapping their 20 month upgrade renewals and pushing it even further to 24 months.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
That's some good information (in the article), although I'd say it's much more relevant to devices with sealed/embedded batteries. Whereas with a user-replaceable battery, I can use it however I wish knowing it can be easily replaced any time. No need to change my use or charging habits to try to maximize battery life or longevity. :)

Why be wasteful? Because you can? Wouldn't it be smarter to keep your battery as healthy as you can for as long as you can? You change the oil in your car right? It's the same idea.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
OK, I first went to their warranty page, and was unable to find a policy regarding battery. I have emailed HTC asking what they would do should the battery faily to hold a significant charge at 6 months, or 18 months, and am awaiting their reply. Once I get that reply, I will post it here, and then we'll all know for sure what their position on battery replacement is.

In all likelyhood the battery will easily last you more than 2 years, and should still give good life at 3 years. My concern is though that is usually the case - what recourse do I have if I get a battery that is a lemon? I'll post a reply once they reply to me.

Here is the warranty I was able to pull for their Android phones in the US:

http://dl4.htc.com/Web_materials/Manual/Warranty/Android/0525_G_WarrantyEULA_76x126_US-BP.pdf

Their limited warranty is for 12 months, but nothing in the warranty talks specifically about the battery, except voiding the warranty by shorting the battery or other mallicious means.

It would be a shame if the warranty for the battery was only 12 months, when most people are on a 24 month contract. As badly as I want this phone, It also makes me hesitant knowing that I have no recourse should the battery fail at 18 months, which is even more punishing because verizon/att are scrapping their 20 month upgrade renewals and pushing it even further to 24 months.
I just called HTC. They confirmed that they do cover the battery and it can be found within the paper work of your phone's warranty. (12 months from the date it was bought.)

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Of course with a removable battery he doesn't need an external battery.

We've gone over this. Anyone can read the removable battery thread. You've stated your opinion several times and it really doesn't have bearing in this thread. The op already has a phone with a sealed battery and wants to know what options they have. You saying another phone is not really an option. I'm trying to provide options to them or someone contemplating buying the phone who might have concerns.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
We've gone over this. Anyone can read the removable battery thread. You've stated your opinion several times and it really doesn't have bearing in this thread. The op already has a phone with a sealed battery and wants to know what options they have. You saying another phone is not really an option. I'm trying to provide options to them or someone contemplating buying the phone who might have concerns.

I posted that because you replied to a guy who said, "It can be a real pain when you watch your battery drain, and you're no where near a power source.
I know my days are numbered, but as long as a phones with removable batteries are available, that's what I'll be buying." If you had said the "OP could...." Then I would not have replied. You are going to have to help me out here, where did I say another phone was an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.