Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

Batteries don't last forever. After two years, my HTC Evo battery collapsed, could only get about an hour of use out of it. What happens if that same issue plagues this phone after a year, year and a half? Would HTC exchange the phone?
    Thanked by:
    The Hustleman and decypher44 like this.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Re: So what happens if my HTC One battery goes bad?

...and here begins yet another pointless flamebait about "replaceable batteries, specifically in SGS4, vs. non-replaceable batteries in everything else"...

Seriously, though. You have factory warranty? Yes? You can exchange your phone during it if you'll start getting worse battery life. Factory warranty over? Tough luck, HTC won't do anything for you for free. Buy a new phone or get a slightly cheaper subsidized model from your cellphone provider if you qualify for it. Want to get a phone with replaceable battery by a "superior" brand instead? Get it, there's nothing wrong with that. Thread over.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I own the phone, I'm not trying to start and flame wars. I dislike the SGS4.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by WolffieC View Post
    I own the phone, I'm not trying to start and flame wars. I dislike the SGS4.
    Its a valid question. Everyone is just a little on edge due to the htc one vs s4 threads. I would suggest getting insurance on your phone. Then if your battery craps out after the initial one year warranty you can file a claim through insurance and get another. Probably should claim it lost or broken since they might not cover defective batteries. Probably not what you want to hear but that's probably the only way. Or you could try getting it replaced at your own expense but I hear it's next to impossible to open that phone up for service so it would probably be cheaper to get a warranty replacement anyways.

I say it's a good question that has been asked and talked about a lot.
    If the phone is under warranty, you return it for a new one.
    If not, I'm not sure what you could do.
    Device: Verizon Note2

My thunderbolt's original battery is long dead. $10 bucks later and it's back up and running with a new battery.
    Although I prefer Sense, this time I bought a Samsung for the removable battery and storage expansion of an SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post
    ...and here begins yet another pointless flamebait about "replaceable batteries, specifically in SGS4, vs. non-replaceable batteries in everything else"...

Seriously, though. You have factory warranty? Yes? You can exchange your phone during it if you'll start getting worse battery life. Factory warranty over? Tough luck, HTC won't do anything for you for free. Buy a new phone or get a slightly cheaper subsidized model from your cellphone provider if you qualify for it. Want to get a phone with replaceable battery by a "superior" brand instead? Get it, there's nothing wrong with that. Thread over.
    A bit of an over-reaction. Who cares about some juvenile debate, he/she's asking a legit question.
    Thanked by 2:

Thank God I never have to worry about this, I will sell it by September/October whenever hTc announces One Max (depressing, hope they don't stick with it), their 5.9" Note 3 killer.

My boy got his 2 year old iPhone 4 replaced for a Refurbished 4S at Apple Store for $179. I think he said it's their "Out of Warranty Replacement." This is why I love Apple, their Apple Store is 10 minute away and I don't have to worry about third party/shipping, etc.

We need a Google (android) Store to handle **** like this. LOL

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts

If these phones are popular enough, someone will figure out how to service them and set up a business repairing them and swapping batteries and so forth. Where there's a will there's a way. People thought iPods were impregnable when they first appeared, too.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    A bit of an over-reaction. Who cares about some juvenile debate, he/she's asking a legit question.
    ...and I provided a legit answer

IIRC according to iFixit, the battery is behind the motherboard and binded to the midframe. I don't think there's any battery failure that wouldn't result in needing a total new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rndomuser View Post

Settle down there, tiger.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

There is no need for the hostility that has been brought to this thread. Not every single person who posts about storage or battery on the HTC one is looking to start some super secret htc one/ s4 bash agenda. It was a legit question, and it has received an legit answer. The rest of the commentary was unnecessary.

OP, if for any reason your battery was to completely die in that time span, it qualifies as a hardware defect. Factory warranty may cover it, but insurance is also a very viable option.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

No hostility intended - I even put a smiley there... Was more of a sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    There is no need for the hostility that has been brought to this thread. Not every single person who posts about storage or battery on the HTC one is looking to start some super secret htc one/ s4 bash agenda. It was a legit question, and it has received an legit answer. The rest of the commentary was unnecessary.

OP, if for any reason your battery was to completely die in that time span, it qualifies as a hardware defect. Factory warranty may cover it, but insurance is also a very viable option.
    Not disagreeing with you, but everyone is certainly on edge. A thread like this is one that could quickly attract some unsavory elements of the forum and go downhill, which is why he reacted the way he did. But, since you've posted in here, I don't think it will now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Gathomblipoob likes this.

Batteries don't last forever. After two years, my HTC Evo battery collapsed, could only get about an hour of use out of it. What happens if that same issue plagues this phone after a year, year and a half? Would HTC exchange the phone?
    That's a bridge we have yet to cross. I'd imagine htc will have a program for out of warranty replacement like Apple does.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but everyone is certainly on edge. A thread like this is one that could quickly attract some unsavory elements of the forum and go downhill, which is why he reacted the way he did. But, since you've posted in here, I don't think it will now.

You don't have to worry about me; I have a *lot* of savor!

Quote Originally Posted by Suda View Post
    IIRC according to iFixit, the battery is behind the motherboard and binded to the midframe. I don't think there's any battery failure that wouldn't result in needing a total new phone.
    That doesn't sound good

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but everyone is certainly on edge.
    Why would anyone be "on edge?"
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Unless you are horrid to your battery I would assume it will last more than the two year upgrade time. HTC disabled fast charging to extend battery life so that is the first step. If you want to ensure your battery lasts the life of your contract some things you can do are: Never let your battery completely die. Avoid letting the battery getting very low as often as possible. To do these things it's pretty simple. If you have access to a means of charging, plug your phone in. Here is an article if you care to read more.How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    Thanked by 2:
    TomsAndroid and ipeaches like this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.
    ipeaches likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cgardnervt View Post
    Insurance is a waste of money. If a year passes and your battery becomes a nightmare just get the newest Nexus device. If your gonna spend $200 then just go all out. New device and a new battery! Thats what I will be doing. But I have a feeling I will sell my One in a year anyways. I seem to upgrade every year now a days.
    So your advice is to not get insurance, hope that you don't break your phone, then if the battery dies go out and get a nexus device? Oh, and you can buy a new nexus device for 200$? What if the op doesn't want a nexus device? Then what?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by chrscaley View Post
    So your advice is to not get insurance, hope that you don't break your phone, then if the battery dies go out and get a nexus device? Oh, and you can buy a new nexus device for 200$? What if the op doesn't want a nexus device? Then what?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Then at that point its on them to figure it out. I guess you could check out SWAPPA? i mean figure this...Insurance on average is around $6.99 on most carriers. So over the course of 1 YEAR when the batter will be covered will cost you....$83.88 before any tax. Not sure if they tax this or not. Check your bill. And if they do your gonna be pushing around or over $100 for one year. Then add a $200 deductible and you got your self old hardware at a new Nexus device cost all most. And a new Nexus device as it currently stands will cost you $350 for the 16gig version or $299 for the 8gig version. Now thats not to say with whatever the next Nexus device may have more space by default. So in MY best interested its best to just pocket the insurance money and get a new Nexus device if you drop, break or the battery ****s the bed.

But your correct the Nexus device does not fit everyone's need. So its up to the OP to check out what others are doing and do whats best for them.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Nexus devices are 350+ taxes...

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    Nexus devices are 350+ taxes...

No where did I say it was only $200. I said the detectible is $200 there for you should just go all out anyways. Read my second post with a simple break down. Sorry if its like a wall of text as I was typing it from my phone. I also said that my plan is not for everyone. I was just letting the OP know what I would do.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

No where did I say it was only $200. I said the detectible is $200 there for you should just go all out anyways. Read my second post with a simple break down. Sorry if its like a wall of text as I was typing it from my phone. I also said that my plan is not for everyone. I was just letting the OP know what I would do.
    Oh, I know. There is nothing wrong with sharing what you would do in the situation. I was just confused because you said if you are going to spend $200, do it all out. Perhaps I should have read it as, if you are going to spend >200, do it all out. I apologize if it seemed like I was accusing you of anything.

TomsAndroid likes this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast