Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By holz75
  • 1 Post By Antitryptic
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Default HTC One Developer Edition and AT&T radios, signal strength and signal indicator

I just bought an HTC One Developer Edition (DE). When I put my AT&T SIM card in I am able to use LTE, H, 3G, and Edge, but it does not say ATT LTE or ATT 4 G. I have used unlocked phones with my SIM card and I always get the AT&T splash page and ATT signal indicator, but with the DE I do not see the AT&T splash page. Is that ok?

My concern is that I do not see ATT 4G for my signal and I notice that my bars are one or two lower than my Z10. Unfortunately I can not check my signal strength with the Z. I know that the number of bars is not always the most accurate way to measure signal strength. Does H on the DE equal AT&T 4 G?

Is there any thing I should down load to make sure that the radios for the DE are optimized for ATT's network or am I all set? Is there anything else I should load on the phone to make it run better for AT&T?

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Default Re: HTC One Developer Edition and AT&T radios, signal strength and signal indicator

it is my understanding that you'll only get the ATT splash screen if you buy the ATT version of the phone. that's also where the '4G and 4G LTE' icons come into play. those are programmed in from ATT. LTE = 4G LTE and H = 4G. as for the signal and everything, i'm not sure...

Default Re: HTC One Developer Edition and AT&T radios, signal strength and signal indicator

Nothing to do. There's no 4G indicator on AT&T, I think. I get either LTE, H, 3G, 3 or even G for GSM. LTE is the real 4G.

Note, when you make a call the indicator should switch from LTE to 3G since there is no voice over LTE yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amroa View Post
    Nothing to do. There's no 4G indicator on AT&T, I think. I get either LTE, H, 3G, 3 or even G for GSM. LTE is the real 4G.
    that's incorrect. On ATT phones, 4G = H+. 4G LTE = LTE. It displays a 4G icon without the LTE below it when you're not in an LTE area.
    adriandb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by holz75 View Post
    that's incorrect. On ATT phones, 4G = H+. 4G LTE = LTE. It displays a 4G icon without the LTE below it when you're not in an LTE area.
    Oh. Okay. Cool. I've never seen that in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I think I get the H+ indicator now that I think about it. Maybe that's a difference between Developer edition and AT&T edition.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

My concern is that I only see a capital H nit H+. Does H equal H+?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giper54 View Post
    My concern is that I only see a capital H nit H+. Does H equal H+?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes h+ is never displayed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by amroa View Post

Note, when you make a call the indicator should switch from LTE to 3G since there is no voice over LTE yet.

"G" doesn't mean GSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Only1Z View Post
    "G" doesn't mean GSM.
    Yeah, meant to say GPRS.

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I have a friend that bought the developers edition and had it on AT&T and he returned it due to poor signal/data. He then told me he read reports that the developer edition did not run as good on AT&T as the actual AT&T model. He is now rocking a normal AT&T HTC One like I am and he says it was night and day.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmxjago View Post
    I have a friend that bought the developers edition and had it on AT&T and he returned it due to poor signal/data. He then told me he read reports that the developer edition did not run as good on AT&T as the actual AT&T model. He is now rocking a normal AT&T HTC One like I am and he says it was night and day.
    My eyes want to believe what you say. My bars are definitely lower than my Z10. I can't test what my dbm is on the Z but the DE dbm is right there with my wife's iPhone 5 on AT&T. I had a regular HTC One from AT&T and it would go down to Edge on occasion in my office and the DE has not yet. I returned the AT&T One because the captive buttons were so bad. The DE's captive buttons have been flawless. I think I just need to get over the fact that AT&T must be inflating their bar read outs on the AT&T hTC One and that I just need to rely on my signal strength reading and real,life usage.

My DE on AT&T easily gets as good or better reception than my previous device, an iPhone 4S. Granted, that wasn't an LTE device, but signal strength wasn't an issue for either.

I'm in the DC area so I have great coverage, YMMV.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The bars that you see on the signal indicator doesn't really mean anything. As long as the dBm you're getting is the same, you should be good. The reason behind this is that the Developer's Edition is essentially an international phone. I flashed an international ROM on my One, and there was definitely a difference in the number of bars that I got. I wasn't really worried, though, since I got the same data speeds and was always on LTE. Unless you're getting dropped calls or degraded data speeds, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

From what I understand,

H = 3G
    H+ = 4G (HSPA+)
    4G = 4G LTE
    adriandb likes this.

Can you tell me what your HTC One DE settings are for your AT&T GoPhone service. I can't get anything faster than Edge "E" on my similar phone. Thanks!

Global Posts
    5,206 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I have found the DE does do much better than my previous GS4 or Optimus G Pro in terms of getting a signal at my house. I at least get 2 bars of Edge on the H1 where I got nothing with the other two. Sadly I am supposed to be in a 4G area and there are other factors interfering with 4G reception so I don't worry as much. Sometimes I do drop signal completely though which is odd.