Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By vasekvi
  • 1 Post By amroa
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it ok to use a 2A charger?

Just wondering if it's ok to use a 2A charger with the HTC one or will it damage the battery or phone?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Is it ok to use a 2A charger?

The phone will only draw as much power as it needs, which is maximum 1 A. The 2 A charger is fine; it's just capable of providing additional power for multiple devices.

Global Posts
    17,406 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Club Paradise View Post
    Just wondering if it's ok to use a 2A charger with the HTC one or will it damage the battery or phone?
    Too fast of a charge may damage the battery. It looks like a 1A came with the phone, it's best to stick with using that.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Too fast of a charge may damage the battery. It looks like a 1A came with the phone, it's best to stick with using that.
    As Darth said the battery will only pull what it needs. So no worries .

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

The battery can't get messed up using different chargers. It's a usb cable aby chargers work and the phone will pull what ever is needed. No way to pull more and ruin it. Not even remotely possible.

Posted via My Developer's Edition HTC one
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

Do it. Do it. Do it...

Just kidding no harm to the phone as others state the phone will draw what it needs.

My recommendation is to use this widget to actually see what your phones current rate of charge is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....currentwidget

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    cgardnervt likes this.

Vasekvi - I just installed that widget, and I'm not sure it's accurate. I'm using the one amp HTC charger that came with my phone. There's no decimals in the display, and it's currently showing 570000 mA (plus change). I'm assuming 2 implied decimal points. This would significantly exceed the stated output on the charger.

A mA = milliAmp = thousandths of an Amps = .001 Amps

So,
    1000 mA = 1 Amp

Therefore,
    570,000 mA = 570 Amps

You don't have to be a Electrical Engineer, although I am one, to figure out there's a problem with the app's scaling.

Also, you could hook your phone to a 10A source and it would not make things any better or worse. The phone is supposedly current limited to 1 Amp, which many of us are not happy with. "Current Limited" means the phone will never pull more than the amount stated. Many of us would like to see the One be able to pull around 2A, but HTC has limited it for some odd reason.

Finally, if you go to your Power settings, you can see what charge mode your phone is in right underneath the "<Power" label at the top of the screen. It will either say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it's charging USB, I think its limiting itself to 500 mA (1/2 Amp) as that is the USB spec for computers, etc. If it charging AC, then it's getting one full Amp, which you tend to get off of wall chargers and some cigarette lighter adapters with the right "charge cable".

For those of us who use this for navigation, you have to get the right cigarette lighter adapter and a "charge cable" to get a full amp charge for navigation while screen is on.
    Gator352 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by amroa View Post
    A mA = milliAmp = thousandths of an Amps = .001 Amps

So,
    1000 mA = 1 Amp

Therefore,
    570,000 mA = 570 Amps

You don't have to be a Electrical Engineer, although I am one, to figure out there's a problem with the app's scaling.

Also, you could hook your phone to a 10A source and it would not make things any better or worse. The phone is supposedly current limited to 1 Amp, which many of us are not happy with. "Current Limited" means the phone will never pull more than the amount stated. Many of us would like to see the One be able to pull around 2A, but HTC has limited it for some odd reason.

Finally, if you go to your Power settings, you can see what charge mode your phone is in right underneath the "<Power" label at the top of the screen. It will either say "Charging (USB)" or "Charging (AC)". If it's charging USB, I think its limiting itself to 500 mA (1/2 Amp) as that is the USB spec for computers, etc. If it charging AC, then it's getting one full Amp, which you tend to get off of wall chargers and some cigarette lighter adapters with the right "charge cable".

For those of us who use this for navigation, you have to get the right cigarette lighter adapter and a "charge cable" to get a full amp charge for navigation while screen is on.
    So which charger do you recommend and the right cigarette lighter adapter and a "charge cable" to get a full amp charge?