Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree230Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default not happy - at all

Coming from having a Nokia Communicator over ten years ago (when flip phone owners laughed at my "brick) I am disappointed with the phone, and the Sprint service. This is a toy compared to the Communicator and nothing more. I need to use these for ACTUAL work and not to post whatever I'm eating or doing at the time. Here is an example.

A customer texted two photos of machinery I need to duplicate. You can look at the photos, but you can't zoom up on them in messaging. Why not? Why can't I zoom in until it pixilates? Could with my ten year old phone. So there is the option to save the file - but where is it saved? It doesn't come up in the Gallery app. (Instead useless facebook photos take over). I plug the phone into the PC so maybe I can look through files but that option, for whatever reason, is grayed out in the HTC sync manager. Well I didn't want to sync anything anyway - the memory is too small for something like this. I still have my Nokia phone browser in my drive browser, but no HTC one. Who really has the time to find apps that should come with a phone? And where, under "Google play" can you find serious productivity apps and not games and garbage? Google play? Really?

Then there's the old phone blank screen when you need to enter a companies automated phone system. "For sales press 3" - except there is no keypad on the screen. This is one of my biggest pet peeves on these types of phones.

I don't live for the phone, so I don't care to post every problem, glitch, crash, etc. I do wish Nokia would have kept the communicator series going. Now that was a tool and not a toy.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Default Re: not happy - at all

If you need to use it as a productivity tool, then you need productivity apps. Get yourself a file browser app to interact with your files (two good choices are Solid Explorer and ES File Explorer).

As for the keypad issue, if you had spent about a half second looking at the screen instead of just jumping to the conclusion that it didn't have a keypad, you would have seen that there is a keypad button. Pretty much every single touchscreen phone works this way.

Android phones are extremely versatile. They can be toys or they can be tools, it's up to the user to customize it to his/her needs. Instead of coming here and complaining about how things don't work the way your older phone did, next time make a post asking for help with the issues you're having. There are lots of people on this forum who are very willing to help with all of your issues, but you have to ask nicely :-P

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm really not here to ask questions or get answers. As I stated I've had "smart" phones before they were called that. I'm considering writing an app to help with some of my tasks, and have been in computers since Unix days. But quite obviously the way the phone comes it is meant merely as a toy. If I wanted a "kid mode" I would go find it, instead of having to find something as basic as a file browser.

And with the screen having gone to black how am I to find the keypad? (I'm not asking). Power is another issue. I could run several apps all day on the Communicator and the battery would last minimum two days. This one drains out in less than a day. It must be common as I see many people plugging in their "smart" phones wherever they can. Its a toy.

I would stick with your Nokia then, sounds like a good option.

Or take the time, and put in the effort to read how to use the phone correctly.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 11:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
    raremage, 10SE, bp3dots and 25 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by workingguy View Post
    I'm really not here to ask questions or get answers. As I stated I've had "smart" phones before they were called that. I'm considering writing an app to help with some of my tasks, and have been in computers since Unix days. But quite obviously the way the phone comes it is meant merely as a toy. If I wanted a "kid mode" I would go find it, instead of having to find something as basic as a file browser.

And with the screen having gone to black how am I to find the keypad? (I'm not asking). Power is another issue. I could run several apps all day on the Communicator and the battery would last minimum two days. This one drains out in less than a day. It must be common as I see many people plugging in their "smart" phones wherever they can. Its a toy.
    You're not here to ask questions or get answers? Then why are you here?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

You didn't catch that part where I mention they didn't keep the Communicator line going? Sure make all the snarky comments you care to - and not directly answer the obvious shortcomings, the biggest shortcoming being that this is a toy for a narcissistic child and not a tool.

You didn't catch that part where I mention they didn't keep the Communicator line going? Sure make all the snarky comments you care to - and not directly answer the obvious shortcomings, the biggest shortcoming being that this is a toy for a narcissistic child and not a tool.
    Goodness, have I just been diagnosed with DSM IV TR? Has this phone turned me into a selfish egotistical monster? And here I thought that I was getting a very loud phone to help with my hearing disability. Who knew? I wonder if I would get a better diagnosis with the Galaxy S4. I will check with my therapist.

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Rather begs the question why you bought it in the first place, or didnít you do your research before switching OS?

Obviously not, so itís rather late to start complaining now. And speaking of toys, stop throwing yours out of your pram (oh, and just for reference I was an S60/Nokia user for approximately 6 years so I do know the difference).
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    Thanked by 3:
    bp3dots, netcub, bembol and 3 others like this.

Yes but there is nothing that can be done here to change or fix that.. So you want us to just listen to you cry. You want us to agree with you and throw our toys away..?

It *is* a tool, but it needs a lot of tweaking to make it suit the individual's needs. I've had the One for almost two months now, and it has taken me quite a while to tweak it to my tastes. I've had to install a lot of apps to get it close to my wants and needs. I'm not dissing the phone; I'm just saying that I've had to spend a lot of time getting it up to what I need out of it. Getting closer...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Sure I compared phones and found this one to be easy to write apps for. Plenty of online stuff for that. I learned that others don't like the on switch location, or the home button, or the power consumption before I bought it. Apple products are even more of a toy - engineering apps are rarely ported over, so wouldn't even consider those products.

But the method to close an app is silly at best, and there is no guarantee the app is shut down. While listening to music I went to close the app - it disappeared yet the music continued playing. So I ask how often is this happening where the app isn't shut down and instead sapping power? reboot every other day? Or download a task manager that should already be there under productivity tools?

But really, are some of you out there so personally offended that you need to make personal attacks at me? Fairly thin skinned if you ask me. Yes I came to rant regarding obvious lackings - if you can't take it then continue to anonymously attack another - it is such an endearing quality.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Another reason for purchasing the phone is the up facing speakers. I thought the phone would be loud but my kids iphone is louder, and in fact my old Communicator is louder. Plus, being 6'4" I find the headphone cord too short to carry the phone in my pocket while listening to music. Not a problem with the Nokia headphones. I'm not here to talk up Nokia - because again I am mentioning discontinued technology that was better ten years ago. I'm not seeing it so much here with the exception of touch screen.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I paid for it I get to rant about the shortcomings. If complaining is crying to you, then why did you reply?

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts

i'm still just baffled as to why these threads are started. if you're not here to ask questons or get answers like you said, no one really wants to hear your rant of why you don't like the phone. just sell it or return it, and move on. it's that simple. you may think people are attacking you, but we're all just frustrated as to why these threads are started in the first place if you're simply not here to ask questions.
    Thanked by 4:

Then go back to your communicator and stop whining about this. It doesn't work for everyone. If you think we're going to try to convince you to keep it, surprise, we don't care what you do with it. Use what works for you and then feel free to not post on an Android forum since you aren't using one then.
    Thanked by 2:

It's understandable that you're frustrated, and I would hope that you came to ask for help with the OS to better set up productivity tools. Instead, it sounds like you wanted to vent and complain. Again, understandable--you're frustrated. However, I have yet to see any HTC representatives on this forum (whether or not they lurk is another story, though I would be surprised if they did), so I'm not sure how productive it is to tell people who have this phone and enjoy it that it's a toy and you hate it, and that you don't want help to change your experience. We didn't make the phone. We didn't sell you the phone. We just also happen to use it. This place is best used as a resource for help from fellow users and for discussion.

If that was indeed not what you were looking for, and if your posting intent was never to get help, perhaps your frustrations would be of more use if they were shared with HTC themselves. I'm sorry if you came here looking to do that, as this forum is not officially related to HTC in any way, shape, or form. Here is HTC's contact page, if you choose to share your experiences with them.

I wish you the best in your future experiences with phones and hope you are able to find a solution that more intuitively works with and for your business needs.

Dude I think you should try other android phones with slide qwerty keyboard if the keyboard is your thing . I know some people get upset when you bash their fav gadget but trust me once you get used to it its much more advanced then Nokia com. Good luck

neonworm and Grizzly_Atoms like this.

I get it. I think

You bought something, you're not happy with your purchase, you're pissed and what to blow off some steam. No harm no foul

Many of us Are happy with android and specific phones that run android and we dial in our phones to the best of their abilities. Does any phone fill our needs 100%? I doubt it

I'm not about to sit and chastise someone for their their likes or dislikes. To the op, i hope you find a way to get what you need from your device.
    Grizzly_Atoms and BobR1908 like this.

If a person has a problem, yet isn't here to get help or answers to questions then there really is no point to the post in the first place. Whining about it here changes nothing. It will not magically make your phone work the way you wanted it to. And the point about the keypad and screen being black is well..silly. Move the phone away from your head. Screen comes on. Problem solved.

Bottom line, you have a window of time to make a return on a phone if it isn't working out for you. If you chose to ignore that and keep it despite the problems, then that is your fault. No one else's.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

You are correct about missing the keyboard. One problem when purchasing these phones from a store like Sprint is the tech person bypasses setting up the keyboard - and this is a big disservice on their part. I went back and did this and it helped a bit. Thanks for letting me rant - I guess the internet is supposed to be all roses for some LOL.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    I get it. I think

You bought something, you're not happy with your purchase, you're pissed and what to blow off some steam. No harm no foul

Many of us Are happy with android and specific phones that run android and we dial in our phones to the best of their abilities. Does any phone fill our needs 100%? I doubt it

I'm not about to sit and chastise someone for their their likes or dislikes. To the op, i hope you find a way to get what you need from your device.
    Thanks. Hoping to take my Excel and DB stuff and make some apps - and possibly through Wi-Fi I can control and monitor some machinery. For now I am trying to set up automated quoting as attachments for email (happy fathers day). Lots of possibilities but first some frustration at unmet expectations.

If you wanted a phone for productivity then why didn't you get a note 2? I'm not trying to push the note 2 but seems to me like it would be the better choice for someone that uses a lot of productivity apps because it's basically built for that. Your file explorer and office apps and all of that comes already in the phone. And the pen makes it easier to work on spreadsheets and such. I just think if I was in your shoes that's what I would have went with. I view phones like the Htc one as more of a media consumption phone like videos and music and such.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I think OP's goal in writing this post was to let people like him know about his experience. If you aren't using the phone the way he intends to use his or aren't coming from a Nokia Communicator, you're probably not going to relate. I don't know that there is any denying that the phone is designed for people that are something like "narcissistic children," though I might put it a little more delicately. I can understand that he may be annoyed having to customize every aspect of the phone to his needs; I'd imagine he'd rather have had more of a blank slate than a phone that was souped up for a high schooler.

That said, I hope he does put the time in and find the phone to be rather enjoyable once he finishes these growing pains getting it set up.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jlongrc View Post
    I think OP's goal in writing this post was to let people like him know about his experience. If you aren't using the phone the way he intends to use his or aren't coming from a Nokia Communicator, you're probably not going to relate. I don't know that there is any denying that the phone is designed for people that are something like "narcissistic children," though I might put it a little more delicately. I can understand that he may be annoyed having to customize every aspect of the phone to his needs; I'd imagine he'd rather have had more of a blank slate than a phone that was souped up for a high schooler.

That said, I hope he does put the time in and find the phone to be rather enjoyable once he finishes these growing pains getting it set up.
    I have had a Nokia communicator. When they first came out actually, years ago. I know he started this thread to vent his frustrations about the One. I was just throwing that out there as an alternative that he may find more useful.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Ok , so this phone does not meet your requirements. Have you considered the new Blackberry Q10 or Z10? from what I hear they are a little more work focused and less play (toy) focused

DestinedtoGame likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast