Omg! Stop saying the one looks like the iphone 5!!!!!!

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
That the same patents would not be granted for clothing in that vague of terms, that's what. They'd require degrees of curvature, lengths, materials, etc.

Actually they are, they are called ornamental patterns. Just like the patent Apple got on the iPhone.

If what you stated was true, why aren't call the car manufacturers copying each other? Ford has a very distinctive look, I can only imagine if Toyota released a model that looked just the F-150, they would be sued quickly.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Same court system that allowed for slavery, abolishment of slavery, upheld segregation, then abolished segregation, upheld women inferiority in the workforce, then worked to bring equality to the workplace.
Again, we're not talking about the court system. We're talking about the patent process. Since you can't focus, it's easy to understand why you don't know anything about it.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
That the same patents would not be granted for clothing in that vague of terms, that's what.
So in your world soda companies can't put their pop in a bottle, because Coke-Cola has a patent on its Coke bottle? LOL... Shoot yourself in the foot much?

ANY manufacture that wants to have a product with rounded corners can. If you had the slightest notion of what a patent was, then you'd understand that.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
They are. If they were just rubber stamping, they wouldn't actually review patents.
Given some of the patents that have been discussed in the tech media over the past 5 years I don't think they're doing enough to understand the technology. If they were we wouldn't see tech patents invalidated, we wouldn't have as many patent trolls and we wouldn't have the big tech companies stockpiling patents in a cold war-like effort to avoid costly legal battles over the patents.

The recent case of the so called "podcasting patent" is a good example. If the patent office had realized that "prior art" existed in this case or that the patent was overly broad they never would have issued it. The patent office and its procedures were designed for a era that doesn't exist any more. Real change is needed to adapt this system to the world of software and the IP that organizations are trying to patent these days.

It's called having a moral compass. Some companies would rather do the right and fair thing than to find a loophole, or a sham.
If you think morals have anything to do with the decisions these companies make about whether or not to defend their patents you're deluding yourself. The companies that have been in the press about these cases are all publicly owned, they have a nearly singular goal; to increase shareholder equity. If that means they have to defend their patents then that is what they will do. To think that any company would let their patents be willfully violated for the betterment of all is silly.

I'm not saying I like the way the system is working now, quite the opposite actually. I also don't think the cause is the companies who are playing by the rules and the solution isn't that these same companies need to just start acting in a more "moral" way (whatever that means). The answer is to reform the patent system.

Originally Posted by adriandb
Yep, and it was their "moral compass" that helped them to decide to rip off the iPhone. LOL...
Must be easy being you. Don't think for your self. Hand off that responsibility to others to work out.
You quoted the wrong person there. I never said that.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Close is close enough for most people. Then don't get me started on iPhone users constantly looking for validation for being an iPhone user. Try playing charades, describe without words the One then the iPhone, chances are you will use many of the same gestures, and if there are enough players there will likely be someone who guesses the Z10.

Almost all smart phones look similar from a distance. The HTC might look, for argument sake, 50% like the iPhone but it looks 85% like the Z10 -- from the front.

I think part of Apples reason for changing up the look of iOS 7 is to bait the competition to move towards the new look as they can sue them. I say let Ives have his way with the look and feel of iOS and lets see what share of the market Apple has 6 months later.

The interesting thing about the reports for the new iPhones is that they will be much bigger -- anyone want to wager if they sue Samsung for copying them with larger phones?

Brian

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Almost all smart phones look similar from a distance. The HTC might look, for argument sake, 50% like the iPhone but it looks 85% like the Z10 -- from the front.

I think part of Apples reason for changing up the look of iOS 7 is to bait the competition to move towards the new look as they can sue them. I say let Ives have his way with the look and feel of iOS and lets see what share of the market Apple has 6 months later.

The interesting thing about the reports for the new iPhones is that they will be much bigger -- anyone want to wager if they sue Samsung for copying them with larger phones?

Brian

They won't. They also won't sue over the looks of iOS 7 unless someone blatantly copies them, Samsung style.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

kingseanrocks

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the HTC first kinda looks like a iPhone and the bb z10 looks almost exactly look iphone

Sent from my Huawei u8650 using AC Forums mobile app

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the front of the HTC One looks like the BlackBerry Z10, and the back looks like the Sony Xperia ion.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I was obviously joking, but given Apples penchant for abusing the patent office its not beyond the possible. I don't see it happening but wouldn't be shocked if it did.

Samsung has been in the cell phone and smart phone business much longer than Apple but when the first iPhone came out Samsung tried too hard to ride Apples coat tails. In subsequent years Samsung made great strides at there own identity but that didn't stop Apple from suing them.

Apple rode there own bandwagon too long and fell behind in both hardware and software and now Samsung appears to be copying that as well as there recent tablet offerings look like they could be from two years ago.

HTC has made a couple interesting phone in the last 6-8 months with the Butterfly/DNA and now the One. Some say the One is copying the iPhone, but that's a real stretch in my book. The One looks nothing like any iPhone beyond the overall thin rectangular slab and in fact bears a much stronger resemblance to the new Blackberry.

Brian

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21