Screen Crack

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I always go naked with my phones and since my first smart phone with the 1st iphone I have never cracked my screen or received any real damage to my phones. That's even with a kid in the house. I had a Zagg shield on my phone, but hated how the shield would always peel so I used the same material as clearbra (what they put on cars) and it works amazingly well. I don't have anything on my screen as I like the feel of a naked screen. I was browsing on my phone the other day and noticed a 2 1/2 crack in my screen. I am extremely careful with my phone and I have not dropped it once so I am completely baffled by this crack. Is my best bet to send it back to HTC and have them fix it? I have heard that costs around $180, but then I will be without a phone for a week or so. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

jdjhere

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey livetoride4666. I recently bought a Galaxy S3 in January 2013 and HAD a protector on it. I never dropped it, loaned it or did ANYTHING to it and noticed one day that it was cracked from the top middle halfway down to the botton left. I have no insurance on the phone but thought I would try to get it repaired under the factory warranty. After 2 phone calls to Verizon Warranty and visiting two different Verizon stores (where they admitedly told me these things crack from the underside sometimes) they are telling me basically that I am lying and dropped it. I am very careful with my phone and did NOT drop it. (So much for "indestructable gorilla glass!) Long story short I am now forced to use a broken phone that I did not break for the next 18 months and at the end of this time will be dropping Verizon for another carrier. I have been a LONG time faithful customer as my wife has (who admittedly dropped her iPhone 4S this month and could not get it repaired through Verizon because there was a $180 "deductible" on her insurance through them which was MORE than she paid for the phone!) so we are done with Verizon when our contracts are up. So, yes, sometimes the Samsung Galaxy S3 can break by itself (not sure about the HTC) and if you have Verizon as a carrier beware, they probably wont fix it.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just sent mine in for a screen repair. The cost ids$180 and it takes about two weeks. If there's no marks on the glass then you could send it back and argue with them that it was not dropped and maybe they'll fix it or at least reduce the price.

Posted via Android Central App

losergeek

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Always good thing to have insurance no matter what.
Not necessarily - in canada we have 3 year contracts. Insurance is 7$ a month X 36 months = 252$ which is more than the cost to repair the phone, not to mention the 100$ deductible. At this rate it only makes sense if you loose your phone completely or bust it beyond repair.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey livetoride4666. I recently bought a Galaxy S3 in January 2013 and HAD a protector on it. I never dropped it, loaned it or did ANYTHING to it and noticed one day that it was cracked from the top middle halfway down to the botton left. I have no insurance on the phone but thought I would try to get it repaired under the factory warranty. After 2 phone calls to Verizon Warranty and visiting two different Verizon stores (where they admitedly told me these things crack from the underside sometimes) they are telling me basically that I am lying and dropped it. I am very careful with my phone and did NOT drop it. (So much for "indestructable gorilla glass!) Long story short I am now forced to use a broken phone that I did not break for the next 18 months and at the end of this time will be dropping Verizon for another carrier. I have been a LONG time faithful customer as my wife has (who admittedly dropped her iPhone 4S this month and could not get it repaired through Verizon because there was a $180 "deductible" on her insurance through them which was MORE than she paid for the phone!) so we are done with Verizon when our contracts are up. So, yes, sometimes the Samsung Galaxy S3 can break by itself (not sure about the HTC) and if you have Verizon as a carrier beware, they probably wont fix it.

Look, I don't like Verizon anymore than you do but look at it from their perspective:

Phones don't just crack open. There has to be something you did in order for that to occur. If the issue was a manufacturing issue, then I am sure they would have replaced it through Apple, but cracked screens are the fault of the user. You probably dinged it on something and it cracked and you didn't notice.

I had a guy once that nicked his phone with his seatbelt and the whole front cracked from that. You probably just didn't notice when it happened.

If you were in the same position as Verizon, you would do the same thing.

Also, there is always confusion amongst consumers as to why there is a deductible. My insurance has no deductible but the reason that you sometimes pay more for deductible than what you paid for the phone is because the price of the phone off contract is about $600. A $150 deductible is a fraction of that cost. You sign a contract because the carrier is subsidizing your handset, and they can't be profitable if they just exchange every broken phone every time.

Every carrier insurance has the same exact rules.

As I said, I am no fan of Verizon so I am not defending them, I am simply stating how this works. And why.

Posted via Android Central App

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Always good thing to have insurance no matter what.

I was planning to get insurance but I don't have a plan so I chose to get a quote with my parents Home and Contents insurance. It worked out to be about $170 for one year with a $100 deductible fee. I broke my screen only once, I'd be paying about $270 compared to $180 without insurance. The only time it would pay off would be if you lost your phone or if it got completely smashed or soaked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR