Vibrate Turns to No Sound At Random Without Being Touched. HELP!

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This seems like an incredibly bizarre issue and despite a decent amount of searching around, I can't quite find an on point discussion about my issue that could lead to a resolution which makes me think it isn't a common problem. Basically, I try to keep my phone on vibrate mode but I keep noticing that when I go to use it, it is often showing the sign for no sounds at the top and vibrate is off. I have a case that makes changing the volume involve a fair amount of force so it isn't a pocket problem and this issue is also happening when my phone sits untouched on my desk so it has nothing to do with bumping into volume buttons or anything like that.

A couple of other tidbits. When the phone has volume on, it stays that way and doesn't change over time and the same holds true for when no sounds are on. It is only one direction and that is from vibrate to no sounds. The timing of the problem seems really hard to gauge and I don't think it is fully consistent. Basically, I put the phone on vibrate, and any time between a few minutes to around 12 hours later, it will be back on no sound through no choice of my own. Most of the time when I go to bed with it on vibrate, it is on no sound by the time I wake up, but not always. I can't recall going days with vibrate staying on ever.

All I can think of is that something running in the background has some very strange setting that is doing this but I can't imagine what. I don't really have any unusual apps or anything of that nature and the vibrate does work on the phone seemingly fine when it is still on.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or possible fixes to try. I am hoping (ignorantly) that the 4.2.2 update will somehow resolve this problem, but I have no clue and that is mostly just wishful thinking. Please let me know what you think!

edit: the only other potentially relevant info I can think to add is that I bought a locked at & t phone but have unlocked it and swapped the sim to a european sim. I can't see why that would be relevant but figured I'd put it out there.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have any possible ideas for a solution here? Is there any chance it is a defect or does it sound totally software related since the vibrate does work properly when it is on.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry to be new here and possibly doing something wrong but can anyone else reply here? I don't know where else to turn...

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having this same issue so I wanted to add a reply in case someone has found a solution besides completely restoring the phone or being stuck with the constant hard reboot.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about @backup3 - but that I really don't want to do. I use my phone for business so there's too much important data that I don't want to lose. I wonder what caused the problem in the first place. My phone is a few years old now, but it's never been dropped, wet, or abused in anyway. I don't have a bunch of apps installed either. I know I can return my contacts, but I keep texts for several weeks with important information at a time and a factory restore will erase all those. I also have VZNavigator which loses all stored locations upon a factory reset which is very frustrating. Thank you for your input.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Update:

I went away to a place where I had no mobile data service. My phone could only be used for it's GPS and emergency calls/texts and offline apps. For the entire week the vibrate never turned itself off to no sound. The second I got back home and my phone was connected to 4g, the problem started again. What would this mean? That an app is to blame? I even loaded a sound manager app that has a lock in place settings feature but that doesn't work.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't say for sure that it's not an app causing it, but I only have just a couple apps on my phone and still have the problem no matter where I am. I was actually in a no service area this weekend and still had to keep rebooting so my sound would work. I'm sure doing a factory reset would work at least for a while, but like I said before - I don't want to do that and lose so much info. It's getting very frustrating though because in the last couple weeks it happens quicker and quicker. I've been having to do the reboot every few hours. If I don't notice right away and someone calls you can't hear the caller and they can't hear you. Everything goes to the vibrate only mode except when a gmail arrives - it still makes the sound set for it.
I don't know that it could have anything to do with the problem, but it had only happened once or twice over a period of a couple months - then I made a trip to florida. On the flight down, the phone wouldn't stay shut off, I even tried airplane mode, but ended up having to take the battery out. When we landed it took over an hour to get the phone to come back on and stay on. It just kept restarting. Since then, I started having the sound problem constantly. The thing about the flight I thought might have played a part was that we chose seats that were right beside the engine (we didn't know the plane we were going to be on had engines beside the windows LOL). The huge vibration actually caused earaches. I know when you drive through a blasting zone it can cause cell phone damage if you don't turn them off. But once the damage is done, I suppose the only option is to buy a new phone.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Heather, your problem sounds different than mine :(

I have one more symptom I can add for people. It seems to happen more (or possibly exclusively) when I am connecting via 4g mobile data rather than wifi. Could that help anyone here give me any advice?

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I have my wifi turned off because it was making the battery drain too fast. I believe mine is 3g mobile data, but I never really paid attention to notice if the sound goes when it's connecting to data. I have the facebook app on it, so it does connect a lot whether I'm looking at the phone or not. So I guess that's something else to look into.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
YES! I do have Onavo Extend installed. Now it feels like we are getting somewhere! The only question is where to go from here?? I am looking through the app's settings and don't really see what to change. Should I just uninstall it?

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I've never heard of Onava Extend and don't see it in my apps list - unless I should look elsewhere for it.

I have a new development on my end though. Now when someone texts me, it takes a terrible long time for it to finally display - same happens when I reply. So I'm wondering if there's a memory issue causing all these problems. I can't find the available space for the phone itself, but the SD card has 6.97GB available. I assume the text messages are stored on the main phone memory? If there's a way to copy all the text messages onto my pc, I could try deleting all of them and see if there's a difference after freeing up space.

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Heather, it may be better if you start a separate thread with your issue. Based on what you describe, it is a different problem and thus a totally different solution and discussing it itt just derails it. As for Xeron or anyone else that may be familiar with Onavo Extend (it is a very popular app), what could be the cause and is uninstalling it the only solution? Searching around for my issue with Onavo in the search isn't yielding any results..

backup3

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It's really darn frustrating that I got a lead with the "do you have Onavo installed" but then no follow up on what to do. Is deleting it the only answer? Are you still here? Anyone else have a clue?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis