HTC One Camera problem: static live view but still takes photos and video

James Godden

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I'm another one who was having the same problem with their camera for quite a while and this simple 'Restart' has solved the problem, well chuffed as was having to take my bulky Canon camera with me when I wanted to take a simple snap but not anymore!

Even went into Vodafone shop and the software the tech guys said they had to completely wipe my phone to solve it. Thought this was a bit unnecessary so 'googled' the problem and saw this thread which has remedied it.

Well done miken1972, a big thankyou!! :)

hotglueman

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi there Sir
My hTC One has just started this frozen live image too... So pissed right now. I'm with Telstra but the phone was delivered, so how am I supposed to get any support?

Jidd

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Your solution to camera freeze is all over this thread, latest is the quote in post #40.
Reading a thread the whole way usually helps ;)

rodentnoir

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. I was ready to change my phone because of this problem until I found this thread.

'Restart' worked for me. I had previously tried 'shutdown', clearing caches, killing processes, uninstalling 3rd party camera apps, etc. but none had fixed the frozen camera display.

Simple fix to this issue after calling HTC support.

Go to settings, apps, camera, clear catche. Don't worry when warning comes up as all your pictures will still be there.

Then go back to settings, power, un-check the fast boot.

Return to home screen and restart your phone.

It will work!

Good luck :)

I think the cache clearing part of HTC support's advice (via Miken1972) probably serves no purpose. It is the 'restart' that does the trick. As weird as that seems!

My phone is HTC One (Black) with stock HTC sense 5.5 and Android 4.3. Not rooted. Phone is not tied to any particular provider but I'm using GiffGaff (O2 network) at the moment.

2350Angel

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Had this problem today (23/1/14). Shut down several times but didn't fix it. I have all the updates and am on 4.3. Saw other posts about re-starting rather than shutting down completely. Ta da! It now works again. Bizarre problem that is clearly still happening despite having the latest software. Let's see if it throws a wobbly again.

anon(8477752)

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Simple fix to this issue after calling HTC support.

Go to settings, apps, camera, clear catche. Don't worry when warning comes up as all your pictures will still be there.

Then go back to settings, power, un-check the fast boot.

Return to home screen and restart your phone.

It will work!

Good luck :)

This did indeed work. Thanks for the tutorial. Now my boss is happy again, as it was her phone that did the camera freeze.

Thanks!

pjackson58

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Miken1972.
I had issues with the camera not providing a live updates, like everyone.
I did not clear the camera cache, but I did un-check the fast boot and restarted my phone.
My Camera Worked Fine!!!
(To restart your htc one, hold the power button for a good 10 seconds.)

Emimonster

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
March 2014 and this still happens (US ATnT)

I had tried leaving it off and that hadn't resolved it for me. I did the restart as suggested in this thread and it resolved it. Thanks guys. I hadn't done that as I thought leaving it off would be better. I guess we can all expect this to just start happening when the phone has cached too much data.

Gillian Gill

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guy's, :) My HTC is only a few months old, my head was wrecked when the camera went blank last week. I could still take photos, but I couldn't see anything on the screen. The weird thing is that the screen was fine when I went onto the camcorder was, but went blank again when I switched back to camera. :confused:

Anyway, thankfully I found this very helpful tread and followed everyone's wonderful advice, and as if by magic my camera is working perfectly again! YAY! :D Thanks a million, threads like this are so handy. I imagine if I'd brought my phone back to the shop where I'd bought it, they would have taken it and sent it for "repair." I would have ended up without a phone for four weeks. (That's how long they always take, I think they try to put people off bring their phones in for repair. Very sly!).

Its strange that so many people have this same problem with the HTC (mini). I live in Dublin, Ireland, but it seems like people from everywhere are having the very same problem, it seems quite a common problem. So, its not just a bad batch or anything. Awww.... I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't found this thread.

Thanks again for the great advice, you guys saved me a whole lot'a hassle! :D

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guy's, :) My HTC is only a few months old, my head was wrecked when the camera went blank last week. I could still take photos, but I couldn't see anything on the screen. The weird thing is that the screen was fine when I went onto the camcorder was, but went blank again when I switched back to camera. :confused:

Anyway, thankfully I found this very helpful tread and followed everyone's wonderful advice, and as if by magic my camera is working perfectly again! YAY! :D Thanks a million, threads like this are so handy. I imagine if I'd brought my phone back to the shop where I'd bought it, they would have taken it and sent it for "repair." I would have ended up without a phone for four weeks. (That's how long they always take, I think they try to put people off bring their phones in for repair. Very sly!).

Its strange that so many people have this same problem with the HTC (mini). I live in Dublin, Ireland, but it seems like people from everywhere are having the very same problem, it seems quite a common problem. So, its not just a bad batch or anything. Awww.... I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't found this thread.

Thanks again for the great advice, you guys saved me a whole lot'a hassle! :D

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you found a solution for your camera woe's

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

artisansUK

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Same problem occurred with my HTC one today for the first time. Most frustrating. Tried restarting phone having read this thread and camera functioning as normal again. Long may it continue.

Thanks very much.

somasundarak

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: HTC One Camera problem : static live view but still takes photos and video

This is great. It just worked by restart option instead having shutdown. Thanks

tim baird1

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your input in regards to the HTC ONE M7'S camera "freeze". The camera would do everything except take pics in negative, B & W, et cetera. And, obviously freeze {not move with the subject} PIA. Thanks again for the sanity saving info, Tim.

ranman505

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Can't tell you how many times this has happened...Really HTC this problem has been around for a long time. How about reading the forums and fixing the problems with your current phones before you shove another model down our throats . Denying it really does no one any good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois