How to backup/transfer data to warranty replacement

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just got my replacement phone. What's the best way to transfer a carbon copy of all my data to the new one? Photos, wallpaper, desktop layout, home feeds, contacts etc. Or am I going to have to manually set it up again?

Also should I move the sim card from the old to the new?

Posted via Android Central App

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Easy answer first. Yes, move your sim card...but not until you've backed up your phone.

You have a couple of options:

1. Carbon backup - it requires a PC and you have to CAREFULLY follow the directions - but it will back everything up. This does NOT require root access.
2. HTC Sync/Backup tool - I haven't used this to restore data - so I have no clue about the effectiveness of it.

Obviously, your contacts are probably in gmail so that is a non-issue.

So, backup your phone - then switch your sim card to the new one. Log into your new phone with your google account, then restore your data from whatever program/app you used.
Factory reset your old phone then chuck it into the ocean. Or send it back. Whatever.

Good luck.

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Easy answer first. Yes, move your sim card...but not until you've backed up your phone.

1. Carbon backup - it requires a PC and you have to CAREFULLY follow the directions - but it will back everything up. This does NOT require root access.
2. HTC Sync/Backup tool - I haven't used this to restore data - so I have no clue about the effectiveness of it.

So, backup your phone - then switch your sim card to the new one. Log into your new phone with your google account, then restore your data from whatever program/app you used.
Factory reset your old phone then chuck it into the ocean. Or send it back. Whatever.

Good luck.

Thanks! Came across htc transfer via blue tooth on htc's site as well (since their Android app that does it o ly works on android 2.3 and above. Huh?)

Unfortunately, the stupid thing doesn't list the one as one of the models to transfer from. Go figure. Anyways I will try your suggestions.

cstrasz

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Good luck.

Well the htc route sucked. Restored from cloud backup and while sure, it gets bookmarks and apps and some phone settings, it does nothing to home screens and my mail apps need to have accounts all reset up (not to mention each app is freshly installed so each of those need to be recognized figured) so I'd advise anyone to skip this route.

Trying the carbon route next.