Proximity sensor - Screen turning off when you're about to key something in while on call

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have an issue with the proximity sensor shutting the screen off when you're about to key something in or multi task while on a call? The phone keeps shutting the screen off while I'm on call. This usually happens when I have to use the phone to search for something or enter in a number, multi task, enter extension ...

Any fixes out there?

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It happens on every phone I think it may think that your hand is your face possibly so it shuts the screen off

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine does it. When ever I go close to the sensor it will shut off the screen when on a phone call. Kinda annoying when trying to Swype down on the status bar when on a call.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

br3ndo702

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Just turn your speakerphone on when trying to multitask on a call. It turns off the proximity sensor.

Sent from my HTC ONE. Via Android Central App

FDanis

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
the proximity sensor turns off any screen if my hand goes close to it, and not only when the phone app is running - very annoying. I turned off smart stay, and turned off proximity sensor for the phone, and still it turns off the moment I go to swipe down the status bar or tap on something near the top of the screen. Any suggestions on how to turn it off?
FD - galaxy note 3

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
hey, i just had this problem and found this thread:
i don't get it, doesn't the phone suppose to turn off the screen while you talk, and turn it on when you move it from your ear???
how come it get turned off completely?? at first i thought it's some kind of settings i need to tweak, but no option available.
i thought it's a standard in any phone today! this NEVER happened to me on the Iphone 4. always turned on when i took it off the ear.

hope someone have some fix!
thanks.

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem on my Xperia play. I was using a screen protector and there was a dust bunny under the screen protector right over the prox sensor. I cut out that part of the screen protector and the problem went away.