Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146
Like Tree103Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default gaps still present in current batches

    I went into look at HTC One phones today and was at the point of buying one. I am a big tech geek and have spent time with the Galaxy S4, Nexus 4, Note 2 among others and have been so impressed with the aluminum build quality of the HTC One that I almost had to have one.

    I no longer feel that way LOL. Here is what happened......

    I went into my local Best Buy and she opened one up so I could inspect it before buying. It had a clearly noticeable gap above the power button at the top of the phone. When I mentioned it and showed her she immediately noticed it. She offered to open up another and guess what? Same thing but the gap was even more noticeable. Needless to say she opened up 4 phones in total and ALL 4 had gap issues. Not what I expect when I am paying $650 plus tax to buy the phone outright. One thing for me to buy the phone and do something to cause cosmetic or physical damage but when I am spending that much money on a phone I expect pristine out of the box.

    It was unfortunate because I REALLY wanted one BUT the positive is I am totally over the phone now after experiencing that. Some may feel/say it is minor and they don't care and to each their own but I really do care for a few reasons:

    1. As noted when spending that kind of money on a premium top tier device I expect premium and top tier
    2. A few of the gaps were very slight but two of them were quite significant and my concern would be about dust and the like getting in.

    I know there are "zero gap" HTC One phones out there, I tried to find one but couldn't but those who do have one I am sure LOVE their phones because really it is the only negative I can say. If I had found a zero gap phone I would have walked out with one.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  2. #2  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    I don't have one? Sorry your store had the bad ones... Maybe these were the ones tossed by that FedEx employee? .

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I don't have one? Sorry your store had the bad ones... Maybe these were the ones tossed by that FedEx employee? .

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    LOL yes, quite possible! Funny - the demo phone also had the gap and when I went to a 2nd Best Buy store their demo had a significant gap too. Seems very wide spread and I would have thought that an early production issues like this would have been addressed in current batches.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  4. #4  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Man my two friends here at my house don't have new phones... Old cameras

    Here is an attempted picture.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gaps still present in current batches-1375143021525.jpg  
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Man my two friends here at my house don't have new phones... Old cameras

    Here is an attempted picture.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    LOL it is a little hard to see it but I am super glad you do not have any gap issues man. I noticed the top left is tight and flush but as you move to the right and approach the power button that is where the gaps were located.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  6. #6  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    So you don't own one and because you weren't happy with the zero gap design you decided to come into the one forum and rag on a phone that all of us own? Why not pic the phone you did decide for your needs and not tell us?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thanked by:
  7. #7  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    LOL it is a little hard to see it but I am super glad you do not have any gap issues man. I noticed the top left is tight and flush but as you move to the right and approach the power button that is where the gaps were located.
    I'll take a better picture tomorrow at work with a buddies S4. So you can compare to it to what you saw.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    BobR1908 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    So you don't own one and because you weren't happy with the zero gap design you decided to come into the one forum and rag on a phone that all of us own? Why not pic the phone you did decide for your needs and not tell us?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I did not rag, in fact in my post I talked about how I really wanted one, took the time to look at several of them AND clearly noted that anyone with an HTC One that doesn't have the gap issue is I am sure loving their phone.

    Not once did I say the HTC One was crap, in fact I used the words "premium" and "top tier".

    Sorry if I offended but this forum is not solely for the owners of this phone. It is a public forum and I chose to share my experience with the product today.

    Thanks.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    I'll take a better picture tomorrow at work with a buddies S4. So you can compare to it to what you saw.

    Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Thanks, I really appreciate that. Maybe my technology OCD was in high gear so it would be cool to see a clear photo. The gap issues I saw today were clear to my eye and the eye of the sales reps so I did not feel comfortable paying for one.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  10. #10  
    ne0ne's Avatar

    Posts
    537 Posts
    Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    My friend had a gap on his and got a replacement. The htc one I got from Costco is perfect. Zero gaps. It's flush as can be. No other issues to speak of. They obviously had some production issues. But that's not to say there are not quality build ones.

    I should mention I know eleven htc one owners. Only one had a gap. All the others were fine.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Gator352 likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Can someone show a pic if a bad gap?

    from what ever phone I feel like using today
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ne View Post
    My friend had a gap on his and got a replacement. The htc one I got from Costco is perfect. Zero gaps. It's flush as can be. No other issues to speak of. They obviously had some production issues. But that's not to say there are not quality build ones.

    I should mention I know eleven htc one owners. Only one had a gap. All the others were fine.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    I agree, there are HTC One phones out there completely flush with no gaps. And, those who are experiencing those phones must be in their glory because it truly is an impressive looking and functioning phone. I had some real bad luck today when looking at them - unfortunately.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyStoleMyName View Post
    Can someone show a pic if a bad gap?

    from what ever phone I feel like using today
    Unfortunately I do not have a photo to share (hopefully someone else does) as I discovered the gaps on phones in Best Buy that I naturally didn't purchase today. My personal opinion is that the gap does not need to be "bad" in order to be a potential problem. Dust and sand do not need much room to get in.
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  14. #14  
    ne0ne's Avatar

    Posts
    537 Posts
    Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Gap and flush power button. My friends that had it. Right out of the box.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gaps still present in current batches-uploadfromtaptalk1375150447160.jpg  
    BobR1908 likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    I have the gap on the top edge of my phone. I forgot about it after a week. I'm just not one to take a 100% functional device back over something I wouldn't have noticed unless it was previously discussed. I do hold HTC to a higher standard, since they seem to be the only ones who put thought and effort behind the presentation of their products. Jokingly, I did say to myself "there's a gap in my zero gap phone". I'm my eyes, for the money (paid full price) there isn't another Android smartphone on the market that comes close to matching the HTC One's design and engineering. Hopefully they have the assembly process a little more precise by now.

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default

    Not a troll, thanks.

    Clearly there are people over sensitive about ones experience with a phone.....yes a phone lol.

    People like myself come to Android Central before buying phones to read up on the plus and minus of the phone they are looking at buying. I had a poor experience today yet still clearly say the HTC One is a great phone and those without gap issues have a super great device.

    To make you feel better I will list the pluses:

    1. Best in class aluminum build
    2. Excellent sound
    3. Great low light photos

    Shall I continue? If I did not want this phone would I have gone to Best Buy today with the plans to spend $700 of my hard earned money on one?

    As they say on NFL Countdown - "come on man! "

    Enjoy your phone and if the thread upsets you then refrain from checking it out. I wrote it for those who come here to read up on experiences with and the plus and minus of phones.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by ne0ne View Post
    Gap and flush power button. My friends that had it. Right out of the box.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for sharing this photo.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  18. #18  
    ahaxton's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by BobR1908 View Post
    I had a poor experience today yet still clearly say the HTC One is a great phone and those without gap issues have a super great device.
    Here's the problem: those WITH a gap have a super great device. It does not affect usage, case fitting, or anything. Most people, without posts like this, would never even know or think about the gap. They would just happily use their phone. It's like the "light leakage" on the Evo, "Oreo twist" on the Palm Pre, or current "lag issues" on the S4. In a VERY few, select cases these issues would impact use of the phone. But in 99.99% of phones, it's a minor cosmetic, or in the case of the S4 usage, non-issue.
    Thanked by 2:
    Gator352 and decypher44 like this.
  19. #19  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    Here's the problem: those WITH a gap have a super great device. It does not affect usage, case fitting, or anything. Most people, without posts like this, would never even know or think about the gap. They would just happily use their phone. It's like the "light leakage" on the Evo, "Oreo twist" on the Palm Pre, or current "lag issues" on the S4. In a VERY few, select cases these issues would impact use of the phone. But in 99.99% of phones, it's a minor cosmetic, or in the case of the S4 usage, non-issue.
    You hit the nail right on the head. Zero gap does not mean that there isn't ANY small crack in the body it simply means the way the phone is made its one piece of aluminum on the back.
    Part of the problem is people, some people are so picky with ocd that they look at anything that could not make a device perfect then complain about it. Yes my phone is very slightly raised in the top part of the phone if I run my finger over it. I don't really notice it and have a case on most of the time. It doesn't affect performance in the least and is still a beautiful device.

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  20. #20  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    I'd pass on it too if it had a gap. It's like buying a new car with a dent in it. Used car = ok. New car = not ok.
    Gator352 and BobR1908 like this.
  21. #21  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Yeah mine has one but I don't really mind too much. It would be a different story if it was on the sides. My biggest complaints about the phone are lack of quick charge and recessed power button.

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    My black htc one is perfect.. No flaws! With AT&T..

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    BobR1908 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by swimmaholic View Post
    Yeah mine has one but I don't really mind too much. It would be a different story if it was on the sides. My biggest complaints about the phone are lack of quick charge and recessed power button.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Don't you find that the recessed power button keeps you from accidentally powering up your phone? I agree with the slow charging time...I guess I was lucky....I have a zero gap HTC One! Don't think it'd make a bit of difference if it did have one...just my 2 cents!

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by rowdys03 View Post
    I'd pass on it too if it had a gap. It's like buying a new car with a dent in it. Used car = ok. New car = not ok.
    Rowdy - could not agree more. Finally some sense lol!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Phone: HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Gray)
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013
  25. #25  
    HalizDad's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,099 Posts
    ROM
    Stock for once.

    Default re: gaps still present in current batches

    Quote Originally Posted by MONDINGO View Post
    My black htc one is perfect.. No flaws! With AT&T..

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Same here...Black One from Sprint
    Topgonzo likes this.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 4 in venezuela
    By blazer236ix in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 02:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 04:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 03:37 PM
  5. Are google now reminders 100% in the cloud...eg, completely useless when offline?
    By alskdcoi in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions