Are the people who work for HTC USA brain dead?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I'm surprised more isn't made of this. I had no idea. The Moto X phone will likely have some tight Google+ integration, though I haven't heard if it will be a true Nexus device. I guess that can be assumed, but we'll see. It may be the way to go.

I guess this means I'll have to look into custom ROMs.

Google made a pretty big deal of it with the Nexus 4, but the actual technical reasons got buried in the OMGZ NO LTE reaction. Basically, att will test and certify any update to make sure it doesn't mess with their network.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
HTC stated when the One was released that it would receive a TIMELY update to 4.2.2 but even I'll admit I was foolish to fall for their nonsense once again. I'm done...I will never purchase another device from HTC again.

Do you mean "never purchase another device from HTC again" or "never purchase another device from HTC again until they release another pretty piece of hardware and I convince myself that they've learned their lesson and this time they're telling the truth about updating the phone quickly"? Because I feel like this is a familiar refrain among HTC fans...

Last edited:

despertador

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It's the same with Windows Phone over here in the US; HTC doesn't seem to care about their users (for example, my previous WP didn't receive the 7.8 update which redid the UI, I had to force it). Well, maybe the issue also resides with carriers.

Philip Pearl

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The below is HTC's response to my query regarding an update for my unlocked One purchased directly from HTC:

"Thanks for contacting HTC Technical Support Center in regards to the Android 4.2.2 update.

"Phillip; as much as I would like to give you a different answer, Jonathan provided you the actual official position of HTC regarding software updates: HTC no longer announces dates for release of software due to the nature of the software development process. At any point in the software development cycle a situation may be encountered that requires anything from some minor additional rework, to complete rewrites of the software base. Only after the final acceptance testing has been successfully completed will HTC release software.

"We work hand in hand with the carriers to make sure everything works fine. Regarding the update for the unlocked not branded version of the phone, the update will be rolled by the carrier the phone is running on. Until it is released by the carriers, I advise you to stay tuned for further news as to when is it going to be available for you."

Couldn't be any clearer -- or any more contrary to my understanding when I purchased this phone.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
After the updating debacle that has taken place with their previous phones, how in the world is it possible for HTC to take so long to release updates for the HTC One in the USA? It isn't like the update isn't finished yet b/c it's been available in other parts of the world for over a month now! They also can't blame the carriers b/c they haven't released the update for the unlocked 32 GB or the 64GB develop editions either! This can only be attributed to the fact that the people who work in their USA offices are either 1. brain dead or 2. are sitting on their hands and simply willing to let the company go into bankruptcy.

HTC stated when the One was released that it would receive a TIMELY update to 4.2.2 but even I'll admit I was foolish to fall for their nonsense once again. I'm done...I will never purchase another device from HTC again. If they want to know why they're continuing to lose market share even with the best device on the market, it's b/c their company has AWFUL customer support, they don't communicate with their customers at all, and they simply don't stand by their word or their products. They haven't even made a single statement regarding why the US release has been delayed...it's simply a joke.

I'm sorry for posting this simply to vent but at this point it's 100% justified and HTC deserves the backlash they're receiving.

Here.
http://gizmodo.com/5987508/why-andr...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Posted via Android Central App

Paul Rezendes

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Just get the update and do it manually if your using the international phone here in the US. Ive had mine at 4.2.2 since the day after it was released. Its a simple process and a lot safer than an OTA update in my opinion anyway.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm this? Everything I've read so far says that buying a device directly from the manufacturer means you get updates from them without carrier interaction.

I certainly don't know for sure one way or another, but would love some insight.

Also, on a more macro level, this os upgrade nonsense in the android world is seriously broken.

The OS upgrade nonsense exists on BlackBerry and Windows Phone, too. The only major OS that doesn't have this problem is iOS.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't be any clearer -- or any more contrary to my understanding when I purchased this phone.
Exactly my thoughts. I'll try out some custom ROMs, but if I'm not completely thrilled I'll be dumping this device as soon as there's a Nexus worth buying.

The OS upgrade nonsense exists on BlackBerry and Windows Phone, too. The only major OS that doesn't have this problem is iOS.
Exactly. Apple has this problem solved. I wish the Android world could too.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Exactly my thoughts. I'll try out some custom ROMs, but if I'm not completely thrilled I'll be dumping this device as soon as there's a Nexus worth buying.

Exactly. Apple has this problem solved. I wish the Android world could too.

No. If you read my article, Apple has to jump through the same hoops with validation and their respective carriers. The only difference is that apple announces the update when it's ready to be rolled out.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
No. If you read my article, Apple has to jump through the same hoops with validation and their respective carriers. The only difference is that apple announces the update when it's ready to be rolled out.

Ok, but the user experience is about a million times better with iOS. As I said, Apple has this problem solved, it shouldn't be that hard to emulate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
After the updating debacle that has taken place with their previous phones, how in the world is it possible for HTC to take so long to release updates for the HTC One in the USA? It isn't like the update isn't finished yet b/c it's been available in other parts of the world for over a month now! They also can't blame the carriers b/c they haven't released the update for the unlocked 32 GB or the 64GB develop editions either! This can only be attributed to the fact that the people who work in their USA offices are either 1. brain dead or 2. are sitting on their hands and simply willing to let the company go into bankruptcy.

HTC stated when the One was released that it would receive a TIMELY update to 4.2.2 but even I'll admit I was foolish to fall for their nonsense once again. I'm done...I will never purchase another device from HTC again. If they want to know why they're continuing to lose market share even with the best device on the market, it's b/c their company has AWFUL customer support, they don't communicate with their customers at all, and they simply don't stand by their word or their products. They haven't even made a single statement regarding why the US release has been delayed...it's simply a joke.

I'm sorry for posting this simply to vent but at this point it's 100% justified and HTC deserves the backlash they're receiving.

This is what happens with a company that doesn't have employees that know how to speak english. No communication at all.

Last edited:

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

This isn't true. Apple goes through about 5 rounds of beta tests every time they want to release an update and everyone knows about them in advance. They also ALWAYS release an update along with the release of every new iPhone. They make sure the carriers are ready to update when APPLE says they have to. It's part of the carrier's agreement that allows them to carry the iPhone on their networks.

EDIT: Unless you're saying they go through the carrier approvals before the update. Then maybe what you're saying is true.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Just get the update and do it manually if your using the international phone here in the US. Ive had mine at 4.2.2 since the day after it was released. Its a simple process and a lot safer than an OTA update in my opinion anyway.
How is this done? I have a US DE One. Is it the same as the international version?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
The below is HTC's response to my query regarding an update for my unlocked One purchased directly from HTC:

"Thanks for contacting HTC Technical Support Center in regards to the Android 4.2.2 update.

"Phillip; as much as I would like to give you a different answer, Jonathan provided you the actual official position of HTC regarding software updates: HTC no longer announces dates for release of software due to the nature of the software development process. At any point in the software development cycle a situation may be encountered that requires anything from some minor additional rework, to complete rewrites of the software base. Only after the final acceptance testing has been successfully completed will HTC release software.

"We work hand in hand with the carriers to make sure everything works fine. Regarding the update for the unlocked not branded version of the phone, the update will be rolled by the carrier the phone is running on. Until it is released by the carriers, I advise you to stay tuned for further news as to when is it going to be available for you."

The DE and GPE versions of the HTC One may still receive their updates before the carrier edition of the One does, though. I used an international HTC One X on AT&T. It received the Jellybean update months before the AT&T version of the HTC One X did.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

They actually really don't. Apple controls the update process from beginning to end, something that android manufacturers can't do because of the carriers.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The DE and GPE versions of the HTC One may still receive their updates before the carrier edition of the One does, though. I used an international HTC One X on AT&T. It received the Jellybean update months before the AT&T version of the HTC One X did.

So did I, with the same experience. The difference? It was GMS only and not "AT&T ready".

They actually really don't. Apple controls the update process from beginning to end, something that android manufacturers can't do because of the carriers.

Carriers have been testing iOS 7 for a while now. The difference? Apple won't release it until everyone is done, so no portion of the user base gets it before anyone else. They tried that with the iPhone 4 on Verizon, and the backlash was terrible when Verizon users had to wait about 4 months to get the same update everyone else had.

The testing precedure for users is also very different. When Google is done with in-house testing on the Nexus 4, they send out the update (no LTE or carrier optimization to fool with). It then takes 6 months for anyone else to see it.

When Apple is done with in-house testing, they release a developer preview that you have to pay to use. Six months later, others may see it.

Where Apple excels is small, patch updates. They move those out quickly as long as there is no vendor code involved. Android OEMs seem to take forever with them, although HTC having a 14 hour turn-around to patch the camera on the T-Mobile One was a promising sign.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Ok, but the user experience is about a million times better with iOS. As I said, Apple has this problem solved, it shouldn't be that hard to emulate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Because the user experience is minimal. You have rows and rows of icons and that's about it. Sure it's a phone. A good one at that. It has all the amenities a mobile phone should have.

So the only problem apple has solved is closing off the eco system so that everything is tied to them. I'm sure it's a great for anyone that wants a simple, straight forward, easy, no muss, no fuss experience that doesn't like customization and options that goes beyond the color of their case to look individualized. But you're saying that Google should emulate the apple user experience? I agree. With timely updates as well !! But Android has many different manufacturers that has many different phones with many different customizations so people have a choice. With Apple, you have no choice....white or aluminum. That's it. They are all the same. So it's not hard for Apple to have a great experience on the "one" phone they produce with one OS to take care of. I agree though that fragmentation has hurt the Android bottom line for timely updates but I will take customization and individualization over being locked down in a dungeon.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
So did I, with the same experience. The difference? It was GMS only and not "AT&T ready".

Carriers have been testing iOS 7 for a while now. The difference? Apple won't release it until everyone is done, so no portion of the user base gets it before anyone else. They tried that with the iPhone 4 on Verizon, and the backlash was terrible when Verizon users had to wait about 4 months to get the same update everyone else had.

The testing precedure for users is also very different. When Google is done with in-house testing on the Nexus 4, they send out the update (no LTE or carrier optimization to fool with). It then takes 6 months for anyone else to see it.

When Apple is done with in-house testing, they release a developer preview that you have to pay to use. Six months later, others may see it.

Where Apple excels is small, patch updates. They move those out quickly as long as there is no vendor code involved. Android OEMs seem to take forever with them, although HTC having a 14 hour turn-around to patch the camera on the T-Mobile One was a promising sign.

So you're saying in 6 years not ONCE has a carrier not finished approval of the iOS update prior to the next iPhone's launch? Come on...you don't really believe that, do you!? Apple has significantly more control and if the carriers want to carry the iPhone, they're going to play by their rules. That's why there has never been a delay for ANY iPhone update past the next iPhone's release date.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So you're saying in 6 years not ONCE has a carrier not finished approval of the iOS update prior to the next iPhone's launch? Come on...you don't really believe that, do you!? Apple has significantly more control and if the carriers want to carry the iPhone, they're going to play by their rules. That's why there has never been a delay for ANY iPhone update past the next iPhone's release date.
For most of those years, there was no carrier involvement. The iPhone you bought on AT&T was the same iPhone you got elsewhere, just like the Nexus phones.

When Verizon came into the picture, yes exactly that happened. Verizon's model was held back on updates, and people had a fit about it. Feel free to check iMore's forums for details.

But my main point is that Apple has these tests done before they release the update to anyone, and they release it all at the same time -- after it's approved. Anyone who thinks that any company, even Apple, can interfere with the close guard US carriers have on their IP is fooling themselves. Apple's just smarter about it than Google is.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
For most of those years, there was no carrier involvement. The iPhone you bought on AT&T was the same iPhone you got elsewhere, just like the Nexus phones.

When Verizon came into the picture, yes exactly that happened. Verizon's model was held back on updates, and people had a fit about it. Feel free to check iMore's forums for details.

But my main point is that Apple has these tests done before they release the update to anyone, and they release it all at the same time -- after it's approved. Anyone who thinks that any company, even Apple, can interfere with the close guard US carriers have on their IP is fooling themselves. Apple's just smarter about it than Google is.

That and apple has several billion dollars worth of extra motivation built into their contracts.