Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By LindtChocolate
  • 1 Post By kostnkost
  • 1 Post By gvndeb60
  • 1 Post By legaldeejay
  • 2 Post By Kdroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A question about the HTC One's power button.

Try pressing the right side and then the left side of your One's power button. Are they both the same or do you need more of a push for one of the sides than for the other?

Default Re: A question about the HTC One's power button.

There was a big power button gap issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another issue.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

No, no, no. There's no such thing as cheap and cheerful. It's cheap and nasty & expensive and cheerful. - Jeremy Clarkson

ROM
    Stock

The right side is very slightly harder to press.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    I've watched Android since day 1 and I can't believe what it has become.

Phones: LG Optimus G Pro, LG Optimus L9, HTC Droid Eris, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Evo 4G LTE, HTC Incredible 2, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note, Motorola Droid 2
    Tablets: Archos 7, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab+ 7.0, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air

I can't feel a difference but then again I have heavy manly hands so...there's that.
    dave3389 likes this.

I find the so called power button a problem. Unlike my iPhone before it, it's so flush to the body it's often tricky to use. Why oh why couldn't HTC supply the phone with something a little prouder...

Ya the power button does seem to be a bit wonky. I use a case that covers it though and still allows the ir features to work so it makes it easier to press.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

One of the main reasons why I use Gravity Screen. Being in construction I needed a way not to fiddle with the power button, and have a screen pop up from my belt clip. This app is perfect for that, and now I never have to use the power button other than to power down, or restart the phone.
    Mohd Azwan likes this.

Just for a bit of balance here, my power button is fine. It's even, not harder to press on either side and isn't too flush to the body. It works exactly as I would expect it to. No complaints from this happy customer

The power button is my biggest gripe with this phone. I hate it but love everything else.

Posted via my HTC One or S4 using the Android Central App

My power button is fine..

Posted via Android Central App
    iPhone4->4s->5->Nexus 4->HTC One->HTC One GPE
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Lol splendid, mine's much harder to press on the right. I'm jealous of everyone who got a perfect One

Quote Originally Posted by naivetiu View Post
    Try pressing the right side and then the left side of your One's power button. Are they both the same or do you need more of a push for one of the sides than for the other?
    When I first got my One, I poured over it with a fine tooth comb. More because I have a little OCD and was in my return window. The power button and volume down button both seemed hard to press, but I was coming from a Note 2 and iPhone 5, both of which have nice buttons IMO.
    I decided to just use it and see if it passed, and after about 2 weeks I do not even notice anymore. Basically I think I was looking for a problem that wasn't there b/c the buttons felt different to me.
    Topgonzo likes this.

Completely fine on my unit.

It clicks a little better on the left than on the right, but as for ease of use, it's the same on both sides.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

The button on mine feels good.

It sinks a little to the left..

after some arduous testing, these are my findings:

if you decide to press the right side of the power button, you will need to apply a force of 78.45 kPa in order to successfully turn your phone ON or OFF.

if, on the other hand, prefer to use the left side of the power button, you will need no less than the pressure of 88.26 kPa to accomplish the same task.

keep in mind though, that these numbers may vary depending on the distance from the edge of the button. if the epicenter of your pressure is located at 3mm from the edge instead of 4mm the force will be slightly higher.

i hope you will find my findings useful in discovering the position of the button that best fits your needs. if you would like to know the exact pressure needed for a particular area of the button, just reply with the exact distance from its edges, and i'll be happy to fill you in.

Or you can reduce the use of the button by using apps such as Auto Screen On to wake it up and Screen Off to put it back to sleep.

JBeef likes this.

I don't have any discernable difference between left or the right side power button when depressed. Although the button is not flush with the ridge of the phone as others it seems to be working just fine. I have a later version if that makes a difference.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    legaldeejay and ram1220 like this.