Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default Restore WhatsApp messages to other phone

I'm thinking of getting a new phone now since my screen is broken but before I do, I have got many important messages on WhatsApp so I have been wondering if it's possible and how to restore them all to the new phone? Does the "App data and settings restore" feature in the Backup & reset setting of the phone will do the trick? Or do I have to do the manual way which is locate the chat history file in the WhatsApp folder, copy it to my laptop and then paste it later in my newly phone?

Default Re: Restore WhatsApp messages to other phone

I simply copied the whole whatsapp folder using dropbox onto the new phone. installed and opened whatsapp. It prompted it has found a backup and wish to restore. Click yes and you're all up and running.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbasra View Post
    I simply copied the whole whatsapp folder using dropbox onto the new phone. installed and opened whatsapp. It prompted it has found a backup and wish to restore. Click yes and you're all up and running.
    Okay and did you copy the WhatsApp folder before or after installing the WhatsApp app itself?

it's doesn't matter. Just don't open WhatsApp until the whole folder has been copied from one phone to the another.

I've tried doing this, but whatsapp only restores my group chats, but not my single-person chats. I've deleted the folder and tried again, but nothing seems to work. help!

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

You can also use Helium to back up all your app data in addition to Whatsapp.

I am trying this right now, but how will it help me with installing whatsapp and retrieving all chat data?

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Yes, the default option will just save just chat data, however you can tick an option to back up the app itself although that takes up more space, and time.

maybe I have to explain in more detail with what my problem is: I cannot restore history successfully in Whatsapp
    I have a backup file named "msgstore.db.crypt" in the Whatsapp folder in SD card, which I copied from my old phone (HTC Senstion) to my new phone (Nexus 5). When I first installed WhatsApp on my Nexus 5, it will prompt me whether I want to restore History.
    After I clicked "Yes", but nothing was restored except the group names, but no single chats.
    I restarted my phone, reinstalled WhatsApp, deleted the folder from my phones SD and copied it onto it again - everything several times. But nothing happens!

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?

I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution to it?

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Isn't the app itself restoring the messages?
    I always thought so. Does it only restore contacts etc?
    I was under the impression that it does.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Reinstall WhatsApp on your Nexus 5 and try again. If you can't see the chat messages in WhatsApp on your Android after restored from backup file, please go "Settings -> Apps -> All -> WhatsApp" and then choose Clear Cache and App Data. Or use a 3rd party WhatsApp Transfer program to restore whatsapp chats to Android device.

Hope it helps.

hey hii. I am facing the same issue. Were you able to solve the issue. If so, please do let me know. Its kind of urgent. Thanks in advance.

Same problem happen with me.
    I just follow these steps
    Recover WhatsApp Chat History

Even iam having the Same Problem . I Bought New Motog Mobile , Transfered all the Whatsapp Saved file to Moto g Internal Storage . Opened whatsapp , nd it asked u want to Restore , I Clicked Yes , it ook few Minutes nd then Showed only group names . Didnt showed the Chats of Single names . Find me a Solution

Fortunately, the developers of WhatsApp have made this pretty easy and provide a way for you to do this yourself without much hassle. All you have to do is head to the main view of the app where all your chats are showcased. From there, click the three dots in upper right corner and choose Settings. From there, simply choose Chat Settings and then choose Backup Chat History. This is usually done automatically and it will show the timestamp of the last time it was complete. However, without being able to transfer it off your smartphone, it may not be able to do you any good if you have any of the issues listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by kirsimaiteli View Post
    maybe I have to explain in more detail with what my problem is: I cannot restore history successfully in Whatsapp
    I have a backup file named "msgstore.db.crypt" in the Whatsapp folder in SD card, which I copied from my old phone (HTC Senstion) to my new phone (Nexus 5). When I first installed WhatsApp on my Nexus 5, it will prompt me whether I want to restore History.
    After I clicked "Yes", but nothing was restored except the group names, but no single chats.
    I restarted my phone, reinstalled WhatsApp, deleted the folder from my phones SD and copied it onto it again - everything several times. But nothing happens!

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem?
    I had several backup files in my Database folder named
    "msgstore.db.crypt7",
    "msgstore-2014-11-22.db.crypt7", "msgstore-2014-11-23.db.crypt7", "msgstore-2014-11-24.db.crypt7" etc.
    When I copied all the files and put it into my new phone, nothing was restored.

Follow the steps:
    1. Make a new backup from the option: Settings> Chat Settings> Backup Conversations.

2. Copy the latest backup file ('msgstore-2014-11-29.db.crypt7' in my case)

3. Paste it into the Database folder while renaming it to 'msgstore.db.crypt'.

4. Install Whatsapp & it'll prompt for Restoration, agree to it, then continue.

5. Every chat will be restored, as expected to be.