Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iOS user thinking of switching

Greetings all,

This will be my first post in a forum other than an Apple forum! I apologize for what may turn into a text wall but I need some help in my decision making and what better place to turn to than the Internet?
    I've been a long time Apple user (more than a decade) and an iPhone user since 2007. My house is running iOS and OSX on every device, my wife and son call me iDaddy and I'm thinking of switching to an HTC One in place of my iPhone 5. I know... the looks of betrayal I get everyday are something to behold. After annoying my Wife and the folks at my local AT&T store and prowling these forums for the last month I'm more than impressed with the HTC One. Build quality and OS seem on par with Apple and in many ways surpass them. It's become clear that the Android platform is where the innovation is happening and Apple has become stagnant. The iPhone is fundamentally unchanged since 2007 as well as iOS. I've played with the developers beta for iOS 7 and it is still essentially the same with some different icons. Nothing revolutionary there and certainly no one is "Thinking Different." With introductions out of the way, on to the questions.
    I don't want to ditch my entire ecosystem. I'd like advice on how to integrate an Android device with the rest of my Apple world (apps excluded of course). Obviously there will be differences but what's the most painless way to sync contacts, calendars, music, and podcasts with my prospective new device? How about backing up the device? I'm obviously an iTunes user and it performs well enough on my Mac so I'd like to continue using it for syncing purposes if possible. I'd also like to maintain my playlists as setting those up were a huge pain in the A**! Really, any advice on bringing an Android device into my world would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm getting left behind on the innovation front and being a self confessed lover of Tech I need some advice on how to get back in the game!
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: iOS user thinking of switching

I can't help but I recently switched as well. iPhone 5 user and now a Nexus user. What made you make the jump?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm still doing a ridiculous amount of reading and researching. I'm mainly bored to tears with iOS. Apple hasn't stepped up in response to the Android platform and is getting left behind. They still make great products, and the iPhone 5 is a great device it's just stale and judging by the iOS 7 betas, changing the system fonts and color palette isn't going to do the trick. It's essentially a multi-page app drawer. What it does it does very well, I just want something more out of the device I carry with me every day? What made you decide to "jump ship"?
    petaf and TomsAndroid like this.

If you are bored it can't hurt to switch. I feel reenergized by Android. My main reason was the ability to torrent.

TomsAndroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Android123 View Post
    If you are bored it can't hurt to switch. I feel reenergized by Android. My main reason was the ability to torrent.
    I love Apple and iOS and think its superior to Android by a decent margin for my needs. But to be able to consume all the media I want choosing a second place team is worth it. Same goes from my carrier. I got 5gb for att and still went over. Now I have tmobile with unlimited data for half price.

Sorry just got tapatalk still getting used to it

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

HTC has an iPhone to HTC One migration software. I didn't use it when I made the jump from my iPhone 4 to the One so I can't speak for how well it works, but it's available. I think you'll love the switch because android can do pretty much whatever an iPhone can do and more.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Funny enough I.made the switch from iPhone 4 to HTC one X when it was launched a while back.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

im also thinking about doing this. i was on iOS then switched my 4S for the galaxy s3 and eventually switched back to iPhone 5 after a couple of months of dealing with lag and other problems. Now i want to go back to android and get the HTC one but at the same time i feel the camera is a downgrade... i havent really tested it i have only heard about it on forums but i take a lot of pictures so i need me a great phone camera.
    Thanked by:
    imchipman likes this.

I had the 3GS, 4, 4S and 5, and I bought the One about a month after it came out for the same reasons you are thinking of switching. There is a learning curve, and you'll miss a few things for sure, but I love my phone. Besides I also have an iPad so I can still use many of my iOS apps whenever I feel like it. The only real drawback for me is the camera which isn't nearly as good as the iPhone's. That may be a total non-issue for many people though.

I did the same thing, and I say go for it. There are so many more options to customise, and the hardware is a lot better. It was a tad annoying not being able to sync with iTunes at first but there are also options, like iTunes syncr. I, however, never used them. The learning curve is nothing to think about if you're a "power user".

Funny because I am an Android user that was wanting to switch to iOS because I'm bored of Android, but ultimately I ended up getting the HTC One because I couldn't afford to wait until the 5s came out since my phone was on its lasts legs. But I think when my contract ends next time I'll def be switching

The HTC one camera really isn't that bad unless you are cropping photos. It actually looks better than my iPhone 4s did when the photos aren't zoomed in. The lighting and ois are amazing with the HTC one camera. Ever since I got the htc one ive taken more pics with this phone than any other phone I have had which is a lot.

Posted via Android Central App

I may answer some stuff out of order but here are my thoughts (mind you I am a Mac user and android fanboy, you can live in both worlds):

Music:
    First thing you need to do is download the Google Music Manager and start uploading all your music to Google Music. The manager should make this pretty painless because it will ask you if you want to keep sync with iTunes. If you say yes then you can continue to use iTunes as is and anytime you add a song to your library Music Manager will pick up on it and throw it on Google Music. After a while you may find that Google Music itself is all you really need and your dependency on iTunes will eventually fade. Some key advantages to Google Music is that you can access you library from any computer that has an internet connection. Have 4 computers in your house? You can access all your music from any of them. Go to your brothers house across the country? Pull it up on his computer. Also if you have multiple devices such as a phone and a tablet your music will sync across all of them. When you get your next android phone just log into your gmail account and all your music is there.

Contacts and Calendars

All your information should be attached to your gmail account. I believe you can export your contacts on your iphone as a CSV file and import it directly to your gmail contacts. By storing your contacts with gmail they will also sync across devices. So, once again, if you have a phone and tablet your contacts will show up on both and update on both anytime you make a change. All these goes on without doing anything other then ensuring sync is on. Same with your calendar. I use the calendar app on my mac and tie it to my gmail account and it syncs across everything.

The transition will definitely have some growing pains since you are so deeply into the iOS system. It's going to take a while for you to unlearn the iOS ways of doing things and learn the Android way of doing things. In the end it will be worth it, I made the switch a long time ago and never looked back. It's so nice to be researching something on my phone, put it on the charger, pick up my tablet and continue right off where I left off with no issues.

I personally think most people take this all too seriously. iOS and Android are two very different platforms, each with its own pros and cons. Personally I think the app quality is much better on iOS, I think my device is useless without apps that made mobile computing so popular. I think iOS still has that cake. On the other hand, Android is also nice, and it has most of the good apps. I think iOS works more fluidly, scrolls nicer, and apps just generally behave themselves more. Yes it is more customisable, but I have a Nexus7 and I love stock Android and found no need to change anything. I dont use widgets, because I think they are generally ugly and look out of place. Love the notification menu though. Love Google Now and Gmail.

At the end of the day, mobile platforms have come so far that your pretty much set on which ever you chose. I dont know what excitement a platform brings over another, but you must always choose the one that allows you to do what you need to do well. For some that is Android, for others it is iOS. Right now, I chose iOS as my daily driver (phone) and Android as my tablet OS. Why should I stick to only one?

I dont see why anyone should look at you funny because you decide to buy an Android phone. BTW, HTC One, seriously has my vote as best Android phone on the market right now. Get it and report back, maybe I might follow in your footsteps.
    ryanw183 and MFmonster like this.

From someone who used Android first and then switched to iOS I urge you not to make the jump! The two or three gimmicks that Android offers are not worth the stability, fluidity and reliability that iOS offers, just my two cents!

Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    From someone who used Android first and then switched to iOS I urge you not to make the jump! The two or three gimmicks that Android offers are not worth the stability, fluidity and reliability that iOS offers, just my two cents!
    U can take your two cents back bro. I'll take android over a locked down system like iOS or wp anyday.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    petaf, Gator352, hodan and 1 others like this.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    U can take your two cents back bro. I'll take android over a locked down system like iOS or wp anyday.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2
    People, keep your pennies. To each his own. Android isn't full of gimmicks as HTABBACH claimed. Additionally, having a locked down system is not necessarily a bad thing for many.

imsikotic- What are your needs for a device? That answer is a good starting point to decide on the OS and device that will work for you. Out of the four major OS's they are all good and each one has positives and negatives according to your needs and wants. I can understand getting bored with an OS or device. The nice thing about switching or buying another phone is you still own your old device (unless you sell it) and the applications, games, etc can still be utilized. Trying something new after researching is not a huge risk because there really isn't a "bad" choice and you can always go back if the OS or device just isn't for you. Either way it is fun to be looking and trying new things! ENJOY!

When I switched to the HTC One back in June (then switched back to the iPhone 5, & now going to the HTC One again), I used iSyncr to transfer my music from iTunes to the HTC One.
    As for the calendar and other stuff, I'm not so sure. Maybe HTC Desktop Manager thing will?

You'll enjoy the One tho. Great phone! Only reason I switched back to the iPhone 5 from it was to try out iOS 7 for a few weeks. Love it, but I was more happy & impressed with the One so I'm going back.

I've heard good things about iSyncr, though I've never had a reason to use it. Should allow you to sync your music and playlists from iTunes.

In my opinion, you do get the best overall experience on Android by actually using the services Google provides (Gmail, Drive, Hangouts, etc). Contacts and Calendar sync is seamless with your Gmail account. Having said that though, Android does support just about any email service you may need.

Also, before you switch (if you switch), be sure to un-register or whatever it is you have to do with iMessage service to make sure that texts going to to your phone number get delivered to your device. I see a lot of threads started in the forums from new converts to forget to do this, and then can't get text messages from other people with iPhones (because it's getting sent to iMessage instead of SMS). Seems to be easy enough to fix, just that a lot folks don't realize it's something they have to do. Not sure what exactly has to be done, but I'm sure a quick Google search can help you out.
    petaf likes this.

I had an iphone for 10 months.I soon tired of being dictated to by crapple.I much prefer android even though its my first android phone.I love it.
    hodan likes this.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kessen Sverdrup View Post
    I did the same thing, and I say go for it. There are so many more options to customise, and the hardware is a lot better. It was a tad annoying not being able to sync with iTunes at first but there are also options, like iTunes syncr. I, however, never used them. The learning curve is nothing to think about if you're a "power user".
    Nice, I've heard of Double Twist but I havent run across iSyncr. I'll check that one out too. Does anyone happen to have any experience with both?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Leavitt View Post
    The HTC one camera really isn't that bad unless you are cropping photos. It actually looks better than my iPhone 4s did when the photos aren't zoomed in. The lighting and ois are amazing with the HTC one camera. Ever since I got the htc one ive taken more pics with this phone than any other phone I have had which is a lot.

Posted via Android Central App
    Camera really isnt a selling point for me, I'm not a huge picture taker. As long as the pictures are clear and help me remember times in my life that I've enjoyed than it's doing it's job!

Quote Originally Posted by Still Mostly Harmless View Post
    I may answer some stuff out of order but here are my thoughts (mind you I am a Mac user and android fanboy, you can live in both worlds):

Music:
    First thing you need to do is download the Google Music Manager and start uploading all your music to Google Music. The manager should make this pretty painless because it will ask you if you want to keep sync with iTunes. If you say yes then you can continue to use iTunes as is and anytime you add a song to your library Music Manager will pick up on it and throw it on Google Music. After a while you may find that Google Music itself is all you really need and your dependency on iTunes will eventually fade. Some key advantages to Google Music is that you can access you library from any computer that has an internet connection. Have 4 computers in your house? You can access all your music from any of them. Go to your brothers house across the country? Pull it up on his computer. Also if you have multiple devices such as a phone and a tablet your music will sync across all of them. When you get your next android phone just log into your gmail account and all your music is there.

Contacts and Calendars

All your information should be attached to your gmail account. I believe you can export your contacts on your iphone as a CSV file and import it directly to your gmail contacts. By storing your contacts with gmail they will also sync across devices. So, once again, if you have a phone and tablet your contacts will show up on both and update on both anytime you make a change. All these goes on without doing anything other then ensuring sync is on. Same with your calendar. I use the calendar app on my mac and tie it to my gmail account and it syncs across everything.

The transition will definitely have some growing pains since you are so deeply into the iOS system. It's going to take a while for you to unlearn the iOS ways of doing things and learn the Android way of doing things. In the end it will be worth it, I made the switch a long time ago and never looked back. It's so nice to be researching something on my phone, put it on the charger, pick up my tablet and continue right off where I left off with no issues.
    Another excllent option! I'm not a huge cloud user as it is. I find the data connection where I'm located to be a bit spotty most of the time. Is there a way to be able to use the google music manager to download content to the device and store it locally?

Quote Originally Posted by MFmonster View Post
    People, keep your pennies. To each his own. Android isn't full of gimmicks as HTABBACH claimed. Additionally, having a locked down system is not necessarily a bad thing for many.

imsikotic- What are your needs for a device? That answer is a good starting point to decide on the OS and device that will work for you. Out of the four major OS's they are all good and each one has positives and negatives according to your needs and wants. I can understand getting bored with an OS or device. The nice thing about switching or buying another phone is you still own your old device (unless you sell it) and the applications, games, etc can still be utilized. Trying something new after researching is not a huge risk because there really isn't a "bad" choice and you can always go back if the OS or device just isn't for you. Either way it is fun to be looking and trying new things! ENJOY!
    And here lies the million dollar question. Honestly, most smart phones accomplish the same things, and are at their core, the same thing. The difference lies in how they accomplish those things. Any smartphone user can grab any handset and find that it meets their most basic needs. The real question is will the user enjoy using it? For a device that many of us spend an awful amount of time with the enjoyment factor shouldn't be overlooked IMHO. That's really why I want to incorporate Android into my Apple world if that makes sense. I'm not leaving the ecosystem entirely but I really like the idea of a brave new world where innovation still happens and boundries are still pushed. I've never been one to bash an operating system. That's a pointless exercise. So for those of you that have used multiple ecosystems how has it worked out for you?

I swapped two months ago

Love

Screen and size since 99% my use is web
    Widgets - have 8 home screens via nova all with widgets. - think I'm obsessed
    Being different
    Speakers and sound

Hate / miss
    *Bitesms (android has chip from the same developers) but not as slick and quick compose
    *Lock info / notification centre.
    Facebook app - just slow and jerky on android
    Twitter clients. (Best replacement has been falcon pro) - also use plume
    Safari browser - stick and chrome rubbish tried about 10 and finally stuck with boat browser
    Podcasts - used downcast and this synced with ipad. _ now using pocket addict does the job
    iMessage & free mms. - yes know viber what app can do. But try explaining that to the wife. Added about 5 ($7 odd) to our monthly bills

* jail broken features.

The one thing to consider just had a problem with charging so had to return to service centre and have been told could take 5 working days to return (may be longer if parts required). After t years if apple this could turn out to be a deal breaker for future purchased as is the ability to go instore and get an instant repair / swap. Driving me crazy waiting and bugging htc daily on live chat for an update and complainingabout the process. I'm in England So unsure of the process in other countries.

P to my charging issue I was living the phone and was considering the max as my next phone once specs etc released. If ou can w]live with the after care is applicable I Would recommend it !!

Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    These are the comments that perfectly illustrate what others have said regarding taking things too seriously.

If someone is trying to keep you on one platform or telling you to switch, you have to look at their motives. Have they had one bad experience with a cheap Android device because THEY didn't do their research? Did they think iOS was boring because they didn't accept it was different than Android? Usually when someone makes nonsense comments like Android only consists of 3 gimmicks, you can very quickly disregard their advice. And it often isn't worth the 2 cents to begin with.

The biggest issue you'll have to deal with is the ecosystem change as you mentioned. And I am very certain that will be painful. So make sure it's worth it to you before you jump in or you will then think Android sucks just because you couldn't sync it as seamlessly as your iPhone to other Apple accessories. In reality, that doesn't mean Android sucks it just means Apple doesn't want to help you have a positive Android experience. They know what they're doing.
    Thanked by:
    gdmin 
    Gator352 likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

So here's what I'm thinking so far. Migrate contacts and calendars to Google. That takes care of that. Use something along the lines of double twist or iSyncr to allow me to still use itunes to organize my music. As much of a beating as iTunes takes it performs exceptionally on my laptop and my library is flawless and free of missing artwork or lost or duplicate files. I like to tinker. Yet another benefit of Android. Google Play, if I'm not mistaken, will take care of any app history in the event I have to redownload something. As it stands now my laptop is the center of my digital world and there are indeed ways to keep it that way even introducing an Android handset. The vast majority of apps I use daily are actualy free and available on the Google Play store. I wrote them all down and went looking for them to make sure I wasn't about to dig a very deep hole!
    I know this seems like a ridiculous amount of effort and research just to try a new phone but the way I figure it, If I put forth the effort to answer my questions now, I'll have a much better time giving a new operating and ecosystem an honest try rather than feeling frustrated!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast