Why is my battery so bad?

Zork Champion

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I've had my phone for almost 2 months now. It just clicked to me a few days ago that my battery life isn't that great after looking at a friend's One. We were at the same battery percentage but he had about an hour more screen time than me. I use a low screen brightness.

BKcXfwb.png

Lots of activity with no screen on
JiyBH65.png

Is this normal?
E5fUeuI.png

Phone idle?
vHZiTN4.png

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
I've had my phone for almost 2 months now. It just clicked to me a few days ago that my battery life isn't that great after looking at a friend's One. We were at the same battery percentage but he had about an hour more screen time than me. I use a low screen brightness.

http://imgur.com/BKcXfwb.png

Lots of activity with no screen on
http://imgur.com/JiyBH65.png

Is this normal?
http://imgur.com/E5fUeuI.png

Phone idle?
http://imgur.com/vHZiTN4.png

Well, lots of things can be happening. Are you on the same carrier? Did he turn auto sync off? Do you play a lot of video intense games? Does he use wifi?

Zork Champion

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Well, lots of things can be happening. Are you on the same carrier? Did he turn auto sync off? Do you play a lot of video intense games? Does he use wifi?

Yes, I've been with AT&T the whole time. I turned auto sync off midday today. I don't play any games or do anything really intensive. I use wifi when I'm at home. One of my concerns is my Held Awake time and the huge discrepancies between screen on and awake.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-14-23-28-10.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-14-23-28-10.png
    243.7 KB · Views: 83

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I've been with AT&T the whole time. I turned auto sync off midday today. I don't play any games or do anything really intensive. I use wifi when I'm at home. One of my concerns is my Held Awake time and the huge discrepancies between screen on and awake.

The awake times don't seem so bad. I looked at all your stats again and Google services seems to be a culprit. Also Facebook but not as much.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
NlpWakeLock and NlpCollectorWakeLock appear to be the top users from Google Services. Any idea what to do about this and/or facebook?

Unfortunately, no. Play Services, you can try going into Settings>Apps>swipe over to all and scroll down to Play Services and even Facebook and clear cache. But I really don't think that will work. Uninstall Facebook. If it ain't there, it won't wake your device.

But look at it this way: YOu are getting 9 hours on 50% battery and I would guess at 75% used you are pushing 13 hours? That really isn't all that bad....

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another thought: These devices can be compared to cars. Take the exact same car. They both will have different fuel mileage. Sometimes, it just happens.

Zork Champion

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. Play Services, you can try going into Settings>Apps>swipe over to all and scroll down to Play Services and even Facebook and clear cache. But I really don't think that will work. Uninstall Facebook. If it ain't there, it won't wake your device.

But look at it this way: YOu are getting 9 hours on 50% battery and I would guess at 75% used you are pushing 13 hours? That really isn't all that bad....

If you extrapolated from my first picture, I would be getting under 2 hours of screen time. I've seen pictures in that battery thread life where people are getting 4+ hours. I even saw as high as 5.5 hours. I'm also just concerned with the wakelocks. I created a new point in gsam. In 22 minutes, I've had google services keep it awake for over 2 min.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you extrapolated from my first picture, I would be getting under 2 hours of screen time. I've seen pictures in that battery thread life where people are getting 4+ hours. I even saw as high as 5.5 hours. I'm also just concerned with the wakelocks. I created a new point in gsam. In 22 minutes, I've had google services keep it awake for over 2 min.

The screen hours are again what carrier, signal quality, WiFi...etc? Your device will fight to keep a horrible signal. That drains the battery.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What... Is the issue? 10 hours and you went from full to 75% is what I'm seeing from the first screenshot... How is that bad?

Also the activity in the next screenshots is simply google services running.. Aka your email contacts, etc. Syncing. The phone idle is so high because that was the biggest drain... Nothing else used the battery except the phone just idling.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Zork Champion

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I was just concerned with the amount of wakelocks with Google services. Also, how come htc power in settings says HTC Sense has used 20% of battery while gsam says .7%?

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was just concerned with the amount of wakelocks with Google services. Also, how come htc power in settings says HTC Sense has used 20% of battery while gsam says .7%?

I will be honest, I do not know.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Battery use really is different user to user. No two people use the same apps, or have the same configuration, so your phone and your friends will always use at a different rate.
Best advice is root and load greenify. It will ensure apps are not running uselessly in the background (at least the apps you tell it to " hibernate." )
You can still use all the apps. . greenify just ensures that they only run in the background I'd you want them to. ..
Good luck!

Edit: also Google Apps (maps, Google now, Google+) use an extraordinary amount of your battery. .
unless they do a lot for you, I recommend you freeze them or find substitutes. ..( mapquest is very good and uses much less Battery for example)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My guess... To the HTC power meter in settings it used a lot more... Whereas gsam sees it used less because gsam takes into account phone awake time AND screen time.. Whereas I don't believe the HTC power meter does take this into account.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Battery use really is different user to user. No two people use the same apps, or have the same configuration, so your phone and your friends will always use at a different rate.
Best advice is root and load greenify. It will ensure apps are not running uselessly in the background (at least the apps you tell it to " hibernate." )
You can still use all the apps. . greenify just ensures that they only run in the background I'd you want them to. ..
Good luck!

Edit: also Google Apps (maps, Google now, Google+) use an extraordinary amount of your battery. .
unless they do a lot for you, I recommend you freeze them or find substitutes. ..( mapquest is very good and uses much less Battery for example)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

I also would recommend root. It can do wonders for battery life.
Thanks for the advice

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Zork Champion

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Even more wakelocks than yesterday. 5k+ for dialer and google services???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-15-18-27-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-15-18-27-46.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2013-08-15-18-27-26.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-15-18-27-26.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 31

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry when 5k wakes is 44 minutes. Also it could be off on how many wakes it is doing.

Either way 1d+ battery is nothing to worry about. I mean regardless of stuff waking up you are getting awesome battery... You're worrying over nothing that needs to be worried about since it's obviously not affecting performance at all.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
My guess... To the HTC power meter in settings it used a lot more... Whereas gsam sees it used less because gsam takes into account phone awake time AND screen time.. Whereas I don't believe the HTC power meter does take this into account. Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

I no longer have an HTC, but it could be that one battery metric is showing you the relative use (20%) compared with all apps using power, while the other metric is showing you the absolute use (7%) as a percentage of total available battery.. . Not sure, but that sounds likely to me. You can read a good article posted by Jerry Hildenbrand today on this site --it's titled " Google Services, battery usage and other areas of confusion," and it sort of make that very point. Good read and relevant here I think!

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My experience is that location services does a real number on battery life. If you have any sort of Google Now card checking your location at all you can expect it to use a pretty decent amount of battery for the day for something that happens when your phone is supposedly "asleep." You can go into Maps and prevent Google apps from using location data to see how much that helps. I monitored mine and it checked my location on an average of once every 42 seconds when enabled. They really need to either optimize it a lot more or give us options on how often to check location.

There's also a thread where a couple of us talked about how to optimize synching and which program to use to do it (spoiler: Llama is easiest to use and most efficient, Tasker also works, but isn't as efficient but way more powerful):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...omation-apps-save-battery-one-works-best.html

You also have to keep in mind that the more you use your screen, the more screen time you'll get per battery charge. I can get anywhere from 2 to 4 hours per day extrapolating down to 0% battery depending on how much I actually use the screen. The more stuff you have going on in the background while idle (location services, syncing, etc.) the more pronounced this effect will be.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My experience is that location services does a real number on battery life. If you have any sort of Google Now card checking your location at all you can expect it to use a pretty decent amount of battery for the day for something that happens when your phone is supposedly "asleep." You can go into Maps and prevent Google apps from using location data to see how much that helps. I monitored mine and it checked my location on an average of once every 42 seconds when enabled. They really need to either optimize it a lot more or give us options on how often to check location.
Thanks. That's good to know. This bothered me a lot when I first got my One. Although it's nice to have Google Now show me how long it'll take to go to work/home, the frequent location checking seemed to drain my battery. I just turned that off, and (dunno if that's directly related but) my battery life has been pretty great. It idles with low usage, and I can get through the day without ever worrying about recharging my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith