Rooted HTC One Bricked

huckle_bearer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody,

I've had my HTC One for about 2 months now, rooted the whole time, no problems. Earlier today I had Spotify running when suddenly the app stopped being able to access the internet. I checked and other apps were acting the same. I held the power button and pressed "Restart phone". About 3 minutes later it still had not restarted. I held down the power button again and clicked "restart phone" again. This time it shut off. I haven't been able to get it to turn on since. Plugged in to wall or PC, no charging LED comes on and the computer doesn't recognize any device is connected. I've tried holding down the volume and power button, no signs of life. I've also tried holding it under a bright light as that seems to work in some of the threads I've browsed, but absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

huckle_bearer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey man, thanks for the quick response. I can't even get past the first step on that, it doesn't recognize my phone as being connected to the computer. The phone was actually plugged in and 100% charged when this happened.

StingDrop

May 3, 2012
Visit site
most likely your phone could have died ore fryed battery let me check on that real quick i had a similar user come to the shop a week ago did u flash any kernels or is it stock ect?

huckle_bearer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had rooted it and flashed a custom ROM. This was when I first got the phone, 2 months ago. Haven't had a single issue with it until now. I have full insurance on the phone but I'm worried about getting it replaced- if it's this fryed will they be able to tell I had it rooted, etc?

StingDrop

May 3, 2012
Visit site
most likely no if the motherboard is the issue they wont be able to but if the battery died then yes did you try other chargers ? most likely youll be safe i returned phones that had custom roms and clients never got in trouble

huckle_bearer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I've tried other chargers. I'll give it to tomorrow for a miracle to happen. How thoroughly do they check to see if it's been rooted? What is the penalty for that?

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I've tried other chargers. I'll give it to tomorrow for a miracle to happen. How thoroughly do they check to see if it's been rooted? What is the penalty for that?

I had my GNex rooted and unlocked and they noticed. They just didn't fix my phone until it was locked again. I had to re-lock it and go to a different VZ store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

StingDrop

May 3, 2012
Visit site
well if the motherboard is bad most likely they wont and if its just the battery then theyll charge you a full phone price i believe give it a go tho im pretty sure its a bad motherboard

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This happened to my DNA. It did the exact same thing. I left it off the charger for 3 days. And I plugged it back up and it started working

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Is your insurance through your carrier? If so you should be fine. The battery on the one is so hard to get to chances are they will never get the device to power on again so you should be good.
Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

huckle_bearer

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
She lives! Should anyone with same problem come across this thread in the future, I held down the power button along with holding down both volume up and volume down buttons. This took about 3 1/2 minutes; don't give up. Everything I had read before only said volume down, not sure if that made any difference. The battery needed to be reset. Thanks for all the comments, hope this helps someone in the future.

chrisxpierce

Banned
Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
She lives! Should anyone with same problem come across this thread in the future, I held down the power button along with holding down both volume up and volume down buttons. This took about 3 1/2 minutes; don't give up. Everything I had read before only said volume down, not sure if that made any difference. The battery needed to be reset. Thanks for all the comments, hope this helps someone in the future.
\

Good for you, glad it worked out!! I was reading all this and starting sweating myself, and I didn't have the issue! I got half way through all the comments, stopped and got a tissue, popped some pop corn, then completed it with happy tears!!! YAYYYY