Verizon HTC One

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
So the HTC One finally has come to Verizon. I went to the 59th street Verizon in NYC to get one and it was pushed way the back with the Windows phones and the S4. The Droid line was upfront with tons of advertising. Not too much of surprise but disappointing to see that the One will get very little support from Verizon.

The phone only comes in 32GB and silver for now. For me 32GB is fine and the silver is the only color I truly wanted and like but for some people 64GB is essential. Either way 32GB is better than the Galaxy 16GB even with the fact that you can use an SD card.

I was a little worried about what kind of HTC One I would actually receive since I have heard the One sometimes has gap issues, protruding glass, or unfinished plastic. The good news is that my One has no gaps and the glass is flush with the phone but the USB port and power button has sub par finished plastic that is rough. These are slight defects and minor compared to the four iPhone 5's I went through with nicks, dents, and scratches before I got a decent one, so no I will not be exchanging my HTC One.

So compared to my last two phones iPhone 5 and Galaxy Nexus (Both on Verizon) the One is fantastic because it seems like a combination of the Galaxy Nexus and the iPhone. The One has the Galaxy Nexus's large high definition screen, curved back, and Android platform and the One also combines elements from the iPhone with its aluminum build, quality camera, and similar battery life. With that said my biggest complaint for my Nexus was the battery life which the One so far seems to surpass with its 2300 mah battery and efficient quad core processor and it solves my issue with the iPhone's small 4" screen by providing a vibrant 4.7" 1080P screen.

My first experience with Android was my brother Droid Incredible which by all means was a very good phone at the time but had terrible battery life and a heavy heavy dose of Sense. From that point on I have steered away from HTC until this point because I thought Sense was way too heavy and I have always thought HTC and good battery life don't mix well. HTC Sense 5.0 is much better, they have trimmed it down and really the main part of Sense is now Blinkfeed which for better or worse is one of your main home screens which you can't delete. For me Blinkfeed is a good idea but just not practical since it doesn't sort content into categories and is feed overload . If I want to read about politics, sports, etc I will go to Pulse and if I want to see what my friends are up to I open up Instagram or Facebook which all organize content much better. Blinkfeed is too much of a mumble jumble of feed overload for me. I understand why HTC implemented Blinkfeed because they needed to differentiate Jelly Bean somehow compared to competitors, but honestly I most of the time I skip over Blinkfeed and wish I could delete it. For the battery I have only had the phone for two days which isn't enough time to properly test and calibrate the phone but so far the phone's battery is much better than my Galaxy Nexus which would probably have 75% battery by the time I got to work.

So the One has a 1.7 GHZ quad core 600 processor which by all means is fast, not S4 fast or 800 fast but fast enough to do mostly anything. The Boom Sound speakers on first glance seem gmmicky but really they are great. They are probably 20%-30% louder than other speakers and as much as I hate Beats by Dre the software actually makes a difference is bass and volume. The camera has gotten good review for it's 4 MP Ultrapixel and for me the camera just doesn't live up to the iPhone 5. Don't get me wrong it is a very good camera and smacks the iPhone in low light performance but immediately you can tell the difference between the two cameras because the iPhone has much more detail and less noise compared the HTC One. So it comes down to whether you take more low light photos with the One or take more day or well lit photos with the iPhone. The 4.7" 1080P screen is the perfect size but it does have a sizable bezel compared to other phones but the phone still feels great because the curved back. The quality is great and the colors are as rich as the S4 but they are more accurate.

Overall the phone has given me a powerful and fun Android OS while in a iPhone esq build. Blinkfeed is annoying but it is not as overwhelming as the S4's millions of feature which probably you will never will use. My main concern is what kind of battery life I really will get. I am hoping after a full battery cycles I will get 12-14 hours so I can last through my hole day and commute 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.

The One is late to the game on Verizon but I still think it is the best phone in their current lineup and future lineup because the iPhone 5S adds nothing I want or crave, the upcoming phablets of the Note 3 and HTC One Max are way too big at 6", the LG G2 is just a faster S4 with the same plastic build, and the Nexus 5 would seem the best pick but we know nothing about the phone and as a person that had to suffer through Verizon neglecting the Galaxy Nexus I will pass.

So for Verizon HTC One customers I am asking what kind of battery life are you getting? And why did you buy the phone?

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to post. Welcome to the htc one family here at Android Central.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon HTC One was fun while it lasted . . . only one day after its launched and you could get the HTC Dev site it has been removed. I hope the users will enjoy waiting for an unlock tool. I sent my GS4 back to Verizon, I am waiting for the GN3 to be announced (hopefully it will be what I want) and if not I will try and seek out a GS4 that has MDK so I can root and get custom recovery.

To me this is the real "unlocking" that the carriers should be forced to open up on. T-Mobile and Sprint have shown time and again the bootloader issue has nothing to do with network security, since they don't lock their bootloaders down. Only the two largest carriers do this.

jrasero23

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
What are you guys getting for battery?

My Verizon phone:
4G on, medium cignal while at work
Wifi on
auto brightness
GPS off
BT off
auto sync off
unplugged my phone at 7:00AM now it is 2:44PM 51% left 7h 42m
I listened to some music, sent few emails, texts, played flick golf for 15 minutes, took a few photos but overall moderate use.

Does this sounds right? By the time I get home at 7:00PM I estimate I will have 10%-20% left?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
What are you guys getting for battery?

My Verizon phone:
4G on, medium cignal while at work
Wifi on
auto brightness
GPS off
BT off
auto sync off
unplugged my phone at 7:00AM now it is 2:44PM 51% left 7h 42m
I listened to some music, sent few emails, texts, played flick golf for 15 minutes, took a few photos but overall moderate use.

Does this sounds right? By the time I get home at 7:00PM I estimate I will have 10%-20% left?

Kill the auto brightness and set it to 30 - 40%. It uses more battery trying to differentiate light sources when screen is on. But yeah, sounds about right on par.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan