HTC One and storage editing.

nashligo

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I like to use my phones for storage, and had a One X until last week when I upgraded to a One. I poked the internet a bunch for this problem and either can't find an answer, or can't find the right wording to get good search results.

I can transfer files to and from the phone easily, but it will not let me edit files already on the phone or create files on the phone. It's a minor hassle, but it seems like a pointless one that if I have a document I'm working on, I need to copy it to the computer, work on it, save it on the computer, and then copy it back onto the phone. It would be a lot nicer to be able to just work on files directly on the phone. This is compounded in that I can't do things like create folders on the phone, right click -> edit, or other such fun things, and it makes managing the phone's storage feel like my hands are tied. Is there a setting in the phone I have flipped wrong, or is this a limitation to the MTP system vs Mass Storage?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you need a file explorer with a built in text editor. Try es file explorer, it has a text editor bundled with it as well as a few other extra features.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
What type of files are you working out? You might need some type of office app. Also, get a file manager like ES file explorer or Astro File manager.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

nashligo

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I mean like.. if I am working on a school paper. I can't open Word (on the computer) and edit files on the phone directly. They need to be copied to the computer, edited, then copied back.

Same goes for photo editing and such. It seems like MTP should work like Mass Storage which allowed me that functionality. It's just weird I can copy files onto the phone, but not edit them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463