Will the one get android 5.0?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the next version is 4.4 and I bet the one will get it. I would be surprised if it didn't.

Noted via tapatalk

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Google updating Android is a good thing. Says they are committed to it. With that said.....

I'm actually sick of Google putting out updates before phones that are 2 updates behind catch up that are capable and/or scheduled to be updated. I understand that it's not all Google's fault because the carriers hold them back. But this fragmentation has to quit. So my feeling is that GOOGLE needs to let other phones catch dafuq up before releasing updates like they are going out of style. Not all of us can buy a new phone every 6 months to a year just to get the latest update that SHOULD already be on our current phones...

/end rant

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Google updating Android is a good thing. Says they are committed to it. With that said.....

I'm actually sick of Google putting out updates before phones that are 2 updates behind catch up that are capable and/or scheduled to be updated. I understand that it's not all Google's fault because the carriers hold them back. But this fragmentation has to quit. So my feeling is that GOOGLE needs to let other phones catch dafuq up before releasing updates like they are going out of style. Not all of us can buy a new phone every 6 months to a year just to get the latest update that SHOULD already be on our current phones...

/end rant

Insert standing ovation here

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked HTC One will get it after the Nexus devices and GPE phones, I assume. My AT&T HTC One will see 4.2.2 at best, never ever getting kit Kat but that's what I have my Nexus 4 for.

Sent from my HTC One

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It seems to me that its slowing down. We all thought 5.0 would be key lime pie, but it wasn't, they just made 4.4 kitkat. So it seems to me that from here on out it'll be small incremental updates. Like BB used to do ex: 7.034.110 to 7.034.117. Just a thought. Kitkat was a huge surprise, or was it just a way to get all androids on the 4.? track.

To answer the question I believe the HTC One has a very good chance seeing 5.0. It would probably be in HTC best interest to do so.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked HTC One will get it after the Nexus devices and GPE phones, I assume. My AT&T HTC One will see 4.2.2 at best, never ever getting kit Kat but that's what I have my Nexus 4 for.

Sent from my HTC One

afaik US carriers are skipping the 4.2.2 update and going straight to 4.3 by the end of September.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

/end rant

Exactly why I came back to iOS cause of the ridiculous update situation on Android. If I bought last years flagship like the SGS3 or HTC One X there's no guarantee it would get updated which is unacceptable.

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

wanted198

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting an unlocked HTC One. Will I get my update faster depending on which carrier's SIM I use, or as it's unlocked do I get it the fastest regardless of whether I get a T-Mobile, o2, giffgaff, or whatever other SIM carrier?

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
As far as my opinion goes.. Buy a phone for what it is and not what it will be. I understand that getting updates and getting a new phone that may get updated is nice, but in reality we don't know where technology will be in a year.. It moves too fast. I hope my phone will get 5.0 but to be honest giving it too much thought is ridiculous because your supposed to buy a phone for what it is.

There's been talk in the past about how people keep wanting the updates so fast, and then when it gets pushed people complain that it isn't what they thought. This time last last year I was happy to see ICS 4.0 on my RAZR maxx, in 12 months or less it has become outdated for the most part.. And I remember people complaining they didn't have jellybean yet when the percentage of phones with ICS was actually pretty low.

As far as not being able to afford a new phone every six months or a year I understand, which makes it more important to buy a phone you like knowing you will probably have it a while.

If you think about the idea of a two year contract, then pretty much figure that when you buy a phone your going to have it two years, so also figure you will get every other android release.. The only reason I have 4.2.2 now is because I spent extra money to get new phones, and I'm on the third one I in 12 months.

I'm happy with mine but in reality I see it for what it is, and I figure by next year if I get a new one I I'll get a new version of android.

Maybe my thinking is off, but while its nice to get the updates, remember the phone companies make money when we have to have the newest and greatest, that's marketing for you.. As long as I get update fixes to what little things need adjusted than I'm good.

You have to remember that when a new version of android comes out it has to be compatible with a lot of varieties of phones.. Something apple doesn't have to deal with. Between on screen buttons and captive buttons, cores and what nots.. It takes time to roll out a good version to the masses.. And we don't want them too early... And THEY want to keep us wanting more.

Just my two cents..
Using my Moto Droid Maxx

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Exactly why I came back to iOS cause of the ridiculous update situation on Android. If I bought last years flagship like the SGS3 or HTC One X there's no guarantee it would get updated which is unacceptable.

So you switched because iOS gets such rapid updating, yet is so far behind Android it's not even funny? Or is it because you prefer once a year makeovers to a phone that is falling further and further behind Android? Apple usually rolls out security updates and tweaks between full versions of iOS, and last I looked that full iOS update that's coming out only goes back to iPhone 4, so there's never a guarantee of an update from Apple, either. BTW, the new iOS looks so much like Android, I'd sue them if I were Google just because I have more money..But, Google has too much class to do anything so trivial.

But, to answer the OP's question, I think we'll get "Kit Kat"...I'd put money on it if I were a betting man, but what would you do if Android said the update numbers aren't making sense, so we're going to start over with "Android 1.0 Kit Kat"? Would you feel ripped off because of a numbering convention?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

I dont see how it is ridiculous, iOS has the same problem. Its just handled a little differently as apple actually enforces their carrier update deadlines.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Your AT&T phone won't even see 4.2.2 did you forget HTC is going straight to 4.3 with the phones in the US? You don't pay much attention do ya.

Posted via HTC One on their cool app

cookiesnfooty

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

/end rant

The fragmentation is often caused by carrier altered updates and often manufacturer specific updates, unlike IOS designed for apples own device there are a lot of devices receiving android.

Posted via Android Central App

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

To think that the sgs3 won't get updated is totally bonkers. The sgs2 ok but the 3.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

And iOS gets killer updates for the 1 phone they have.

iphone 5s = s is for same

iphone 5c = c is for cheap

There's your choice's.

Last edited: