Bit of confusion

Ekiiia88

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
When I want to close any apps using, we just double tap the home button and swipe up to clear all right? So now everything is empty. But when I go to settings, apps, running, I still see some apps that are running? I don't get it, is it draining my battery?

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
My understanding is that Android keeps your most used apps in memory to speed up opening them. There's apparently some mechanism to reopen apps even if they've been closed. My guess is that reopening them is probably more battery intensive than just keeping them in memory.

IMO, the best use of task killers is to stop an app that's gone "rogue" and is using up your CPU/draining your battery or closing an app that you want to clear the memory on (e.g. a browser with a bunch of open tabs you don't need) or some other pretty specific use. In general there's no need to close apps. The memory will be kept alive either way and the apps are suspended, not actually running. If you have apps that use too much battery it's better to either find new apps or change their settings so they refresh less often.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Garublador is correct. Even though you close an app in the running apps section (multi task window), some apps will be kept alive by the system. The OS will handle the processes and to be honest, there's no reason to even clear your running apps, Just let the OS handle it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Garublador is correct. Even though you close an app in the running apps section (multi task window), some apps will be kept alive by the system. The OS will handle the processes and to be honest, there's no reason to even clear your running apps, Just let the OS handle it.

My understanding is that Android keeps your most used apps in memory to speed up opening them. There's apparently some mechanism to reopen apps even if they've been closed. My guess is that reopening them is probably more battery intensive than just keeping them in memory.

IMO, the best use of task killers is to stop an app that's gone "rogue" and is using up your CPU/draining your battery or closing an app that you want to clear the memory on (e.g. a browser with a bunch of open tabs you don't need) or some other pretty specific use. In general there's no need to close apps. The memory will be kept alive either way and the apps are suspended, not actually running. If you have apps that use too much battery it's better to either find new apps or change their settings so they refresh less often.
This.

You can't force stop certain apps because they'll start back up. They are needed to keep the OS running smoothly.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon