HTC One screen has yellowish tint... Are the newer ones like this now?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint, where I had a One. Never had any complaints about the screen. However, the One I got on T-Mobile has this yellowish tint. Looking around online it seems to be a common issue. From what I've been reading, the yellowish ones seem to be more common now vs. when the phone released, when I originally got mine. Are all of them like this now? Is it worth exchanging to see if I get one with a cooler screen?

Posted via Android Central App

BobR1908

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I just switched to T-Mobile from Sprint, where I had a One. Never had any complaints about the screen. However, the One I got on T-Mobile has this yellowish tint. Looking around online it seems to be a common issue. From what I've been reading, the yellowish ones seem to be more common now vs. when the phone released, when I originally got mine. Are all of them like this now? Is it worth exchanging to see if I get one with a cooler screen?

Absolutely, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to exchange it. A premium phone should not have yellowish tint to the screen - don't settle!

The HTC One is a great phone, exchange it if you happened to get one with a defect as significant as that.

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Yup return it right away for sure. I've heard of some of these issues but I haven't had any. If I did a problem like yours I would immediately get it exchanged.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Hope this works. Here is a thread that is already out there about this subject. I think a lot of the T-Mobile HTC one's suffer from this. Given that they are under sold at $500 compared to brand new at other places at $700. My belief is that a lot of T-Mobile HTC one's are refurbished. Hope this thread helps. I would return or exchange it as fast as possible. Check new exchange for the same problem before exchanging.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/293978-yellow-tint-my-htc-one-screen.html

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's soley because you switched to T-Mo from Sprint. Bad Karma.

T-Mo in my area (Central Florida) sucks sweaty donkey balls. The T in T-Mo stands for Trash. :)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Cool, I may go to the store then and see. From what I was reading in the linked thread and on XDA, it seems that more recent Ones have the yellowish tint because of the supplier of screens. Someone else mentioned something about how they're manufactured and that over time the yellowness goes away.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Cool, I may go to the store then and see. From what I was reading in the linked thread and on XDA, it seems that more recent Ones have the yellowish tint because of the supplier of screens. Someone else mentioned something about how they're manufactured and that over time the yellowness goes away.

I just got a new replacement through AT&T for a different issue. This one was made recently in August. From the serial number. HT38 It's brand new and no yellowish tint here. Bright white. I would exchange it right away.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine was made in August also, but with an FA38 serial.

So yours was manufactured in a different factories in Taiwan. I know that HT serial numbers were made in Taiwan. Not sure about FA. But I know different areas where they manufactured them used 2 different screens. All the HT phones seem to be very white. All the FA are yellow. Which I would not be happy. Might be different carriers get them made from other areas. You can take another chance at getting another new phone. If the serial number starts with with FA, might have the same issue. I don't know if t Mobile has serial number HTC ones beginning with HT Might be an AT&T thing.

Last edited:

joshwithachance

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My red HTC One that I got from Sprint doesn't have any yellow tint to the screen, but if it did I don't think I would even mind it at all. The yellowish tint will make whites appear more yellow, but is that really a bad thing? A warmer screen is easier on the eyes :)

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
FA refers to a different factory in Taiwan, it's just not the one in Hsinchu.

Ahhhh, thank you. Couldn't remember different factory or country. Thank you for letting me know. Do then it seems different factories use different screens then. I'm happy with my bright white one..

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Can confirm my One's screen from AT&T is bright white and HT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint one I bought back in June/July was FA34 I believe and it was white.

The store didn't see enough wrong with it to change it, and I showed it to my wife and she didn't think it was a big deal either. I'm gonna try it out and see if I get used to it over the next couple of days. I guess it was the difference between the two that caught me off guard.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My Sprint one I bought back in June/July was FA34 I believe and it was white.

The store didn't see enough wrong with it to change it, and I showed it to my wife and she didn't think it was a big deal either. I'm gonna try it out and see if I get used to it over the next couple of days. I guess it was the difference between the two that caught me off guard.

That's the problem with stores. If you're not happy with the device you should be entitled to replace it with another new one. Not because they don't see a problem with it. I would have made something up like the speaker doesn't work all the time or something like that and demand a new phone. I've heard Sprint is very hard on customers to return phones . I'm with AT&T never had a problem returning a phone. I once returned a phone to the same store four times before getting one that worked right with no problems.

Hackett00

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Mond, did you ever figure out your display type? I'm guessing your serial number starts with HT (not SH or FA)? My replacement with the Sharp display and serial HT is not quite as nice as my original Samsung display/serial FA...although I don't really think it's got much of a yellow tint. I've gotta say, the first One I had was pretty much perfect. The new screen is passable, but not nearly as sharp. It's hard to describe, but it's noticeable even without having a side by side comparison.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Mond, did you ever figure out your display type? I'm guessing your serial number starts with HT (not SH or FA)? My replacement with the Sharp display and serial HT is not quite as nice as my original Samsung display/serial FA...although I don't really think it's got much of a yellow tint. I've gotta say, the first One I had was pretty much perfect. The new screen is passable, but not nearly as sharp. It's hard to describe, but it's noticeable even without having a side by side comparison.

Not yet Hackett! Sorry. But I was having some issues with my one. So when I called AT&T warranty, I told the lady please make a note to send me a phone with a serial number starting with HT36 OR higher. Because a lot of earlier models had problems. I received it on Tuesday. The phone is an HT38 and it was even sent with the white paper/ sticket that also has the IMEI number and serial number that you get with new phones. I called and found out that when I ordered it, the black version was on backorder for a replacement . So low and behold they took a new one out of the box and sent one to me. They confirmed it.
Also this one is flawless! And the screen is as bright white as they get. I will found out about the screen soon also. Thanks!

omegajb

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I bought the HTC One when it came out on T-Mobile and had to do a warranty exchange this week. The replacement had a yellow tint that was visibly noticeable when transferring data from one phone to another. I called and they send me a second phone with the same yellow tint. I wouldn't mind if it was muted white but the yellow looks dingy. Maybe after some time it will brighten up but I'm not feeling good about this right now.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I bought the HTC One when it came out on T-Mobile and had to do a warranty exchange this week. The replacement had a yellow tint that was visibly noticeable when transferring data from one phone to another. I called and they send me a second phone with the same yellow tint. I wouldn't mind if it was muted white but the yellow looks dingy. Maybe after some time it will brighten up but I'm not feeling good about this right now.

I don't really mind my screen anymore. I'm not sure if I got used to it or if the yellow tint just went away. Might be a mix of both. That and I don't have another to compare it to like I did before.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought my HTC One for Sprint from Amazon.com in October 2013. My serial # starts with FA. I do not have a problem with yellow tint. My white are perfect. I also do not have the purple tint on the camera or any other problem with my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy