what's the deal with updates??

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
seeing how apple is pushing iOS 7 worldwide, i am again trying to understand what on earth is HTC's (and other android manufacturers) problem with updates.

if google sends an update to HTC and other manufacturers, and then HTC modifies it and tests it with Sense, what is the problem of putting it on a friggin SERVER for people with unlocked phones to download it at their earliest possible convenience?

likewise, why dont they send the update right away to the carriers so that HTC may free themselves from any blame and/or accusations related to update delays?

can someone who better understands the concept please explain to me why is it such a big problem to send updates or how is it in their interest to delay them so much?

i CAN live without 4.3 (or 4.2.2) and this is not a "i want 4.3 NOW" thread, but i just want to understand why an update which has obviously been ready and available for almost 3 months can't find its way to people's phones.

thanks.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about HTC but with Motorola, the hold up was at the carrier level. At least that is what they said.
Yeah, the updates that HTC makes then go to the carriers who make their own modifications. The carriers then push the updates out themselves. Apple has the pull to make deals with carriers that prevent the carriers from messing with the OS but apparently none of the OEM's who make Android phones have been able to pull this off. The best they've been able to get is non subsidized phones that work on some carriers.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
From my understanding, that isn't how the update process works. The chipset manufacturers are also involved in the update life cycle. I read that's why the One S could not be updated, because Qualcomm would not update and release the necessary drivers.

I also read that the update needs to be certified by each respective carrier. Truth be told, HTC isn't as slow with updates as people would have you to believe. If you look at the update turnaround for most European and Asian markets, they are pretty good. Stateside is another story. For example the One X in other markets, is already at 4.2.2.

Some of my info may be wrong since I'm writing this from memory, but I'm sure the process is along the same lines.

Posted via Android Central App

garyft

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
And if you use an MVNO (like I do) you then have to wait even longer because the carriers won't push the updates to MVNOs as fast as they do to their in house customers.

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
seeing how apple is pushing iOS 7 worldwide, i am again trying to understand what on earth is HTC's (and other android manufacturers) problem with updates.

if google sends an update to HTC and other manufacturers, and then HTC modifies it and tests it with Sense, what is the problem of putting it on a friggin SERVER for people with unlocked phones to download it at their earliest possible convenience?

likewise, why dont they send the update right away to the carriers so that HTC may free themselves from any blame and/or accusations related to update delays?

can someone who better understands the concept please explain to me why is it such a big problem to send updates or how is it in their interest to delay them so much?

i CAN live without 4.3 (or 4.2.2) and this is not a "i want 4.3 NOW" thread, but i just want to understand why an update which has obviously been ready and available for almost 3 months can't find its way to people's phones.

thanks.

Why Do Android Updates Take So Long Compared To iOS And Windows Phone?

mkhall

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, that's not good news for me, since I just switched to CREDO when I got my One.

What happens when I press this?

touchthatpad106

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
The carriers slow it down the most IMO though and sometimes they don't even release the update even though they have it and it has been fully tested. That article was very good though and spot on.

Twitter= MobilePowerUp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke