Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Blacklisted HTC ONE/update 4.3

Hi everyone,
    I just have a quick question my friend wants answered. he recently purchased an HTC ONE from someone and found it was blacklisted by rogers but also unlocked so his BELL CANADA sim card works perfectly fine. Anyways his question is will he still receive the update andriod 4.3 when it hits Canada next month?
    Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Blacklisted HTC ONE/update 4.3

blacklisted as in stolen?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Burnatowski View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just have a quick question my friend wants answered. he recently purchased an HTC ONE from someone and found it was blacklisted by rogers but also unlocked so his BELL CANADA sim card works perfectly fine. Anyways his question is will he still receive the update andriod 4.3 when it hits Canada next month?
    Thank you!

Is it really blacklisted? Typically that prevents it from working on any carrier (they share the list specifically to help stop theft).

Quote Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
    blacklisted as in stolen?
    That's not the only reason something can be blacklisted. Not paying your bill is a good way to get a device blacklisted also. Blacklist != stolen phone all of the time
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

the update is being pushed directly by htc onto unlocked phones.

if your friend's phone works and its unlocked, he should be getting the update.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

He was with rogers first, and the seller never said it was blacklisted only that its unlocked and would work on any carrier but when he put in his rogers sim card he got no network signal so he tried my bell sim card and it worked perfectly fine(note that seller had been using this phone with telus sim card). So he went to an unlocking kiosk and they told him the phone was already unlocked just blacklisted to rogers so he could use any other carrier but rogers/fido. So he went and ported his number to bell.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Friend has another question lol think i might just make him get an account on here jesus. Anyway his top speaker has started crackling and sounds really distorted, he called HTC and they are sending him a box in the mail to have it repaired but in the conversation with HTC employee said the phone will come back locked to rogers and he will have to re-unlock it to use his bell sim. The phone is blacklisted so is it possible to unlock the phone again so his sim works?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Burnatowski View Post
    Friend has another question lol think i might just make him get an account on here jesus. Anyway his top speaker has started crackling and sounds really distorted, he called HTC and they are sending him a box in the mail to have it repaired but in the conversation with HTC employee said the phone will come back locked to rogers and he will have to re-unlock it to use his bell sim. The phone is blacklisted so is it possible to unlock the phone again so his sim works?
    Thanks

I wouldn't see why not. Whoever unlocked the phone the first time would be able to do it again, and I'm willing to bet there's a walkthrough on XDA, here, or somewhere else online that will show you exactly what to do. A phones blacklisted status has nothing to do with its unlockedness. It could still be locked to rogers and blacklisted from them as well.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So we found a new problem, my buddy paid 3.99 on imei checker to see if his phone was blacklisted and everything came back clean. So now hes confused and doesnt know why his rogers sim card wasnt working and the guy at the unlocking kiosk said it was blacklisted. Real confused

"UPDATE" He called rogers and they confirmed that the phone is indeed blacklisted. so how its working on bell and telus sim cards is beyond me. :S

Anyways, thank you everyone for answering my questions!
    - Yes his phone should still receive update even tho its blacklisted because its unlocked and working.
    - Yes he can unlock his blacklisted phone again after being relocked.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Michal Burnatowski; 09-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Also, I wonder if they will just send him a different phone. Anyone know if HTC actually fixes the phone you send in, or do they just send you a "new" one and then use the other for parts/refurb it?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thats a good question. I will definitely update when he gets it back. If they gave him a new one he'd be pretty happy since he has a few dings and scratches.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app