Rooting for the first time...

Superevangelist12

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T One. I'm new to Android and the terms like Custom ROM, Flash, and Root, are all new phrases to me.

What is the benefit of rooting, flashing, and getting a custom ROM on my One? How do I go about doing such things?

Thanks for the help.

Posted via Android Central App

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T One. I'm new to Android and the terms like Custom ROM, Flash, and Root, are all new phrases to me.

What is the benefit of rooting, flashing, and getting a custom ROM on my One? How do I go about doing such things?

Thanks for the help.

Posted via Android Central App

There are plenty of reasons to do it. And plenty why not to do it. Potentially voiding your warranty is your choice.

Benefits include being able to run a newer version of Android. No bloat ware on custom Roms. You can run a custom kernel and enable the htc logo as a menu button like I did.

I'm running stock android 4.3 on mine. Now that I have the Moto X I'm going to put a sense 5 4.3 rom on.

Again. If you can't think of anything you want to do on your phone that you can't already, then no need.

You need to unlock the bootloader via htc dev. Then flash a custom recovery. Backup and goto town. Tons of tutorials on this very subject.

Sent from my HTC One

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to rooting (and Android) too, and one of the main reasons for wanting to root is that I can update my firmware without having to wait for HTC to release it in my region or carriers to release it to users. I can just wait for a ROM based on that update and then just use that ROM.

Rooting also opens up some options that you otherwise can't change. Like I was able to make the volume button work as shutter, make the app drawer transparent, disable blinkfeed, and a few other things.

By my understanding, by rooting your phone, you're basically giving yourself full access to the system and you're free to make any changes you want. Obviously, this comes with risks.

I think I started out by asking around about which ROMs are good, and then following instructions on the xda-developers.com website. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2115#romList (looks like it's temporarily under maintenance though).

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to rooting (and Android) too, and one of the main reasons for wanting to root is that I can update my firmware without having to wait for HTC to release it in my region or carriers to release it to users. I can just wait for a ROM based on that update and then just use that ROM.

Rooting also opens up some options that you otherwise can't change. Like I was able to make the volume button work as shutter, make the app drawer transparent, disable blinkfeed, and a few other things.

By my understanding, by rooting your phone, you're basically giving yourself full access to the system and you're free to make any changes you want. Obviously, this comes with risks.

I think I started out by asking around about which ROMs are good, and then following instructions on the xda-developers.com website. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2115#romList (looks like it's temporarily under maintenance though).

Yes. There are several mods. Volume as shutter and wake. Swipe to wake. Swipe to sleep. Double tap to wake. Etc.

Before messing with my htc one I used it for a good two weeks to make sure I tested every aspect of the device.

Sent from my HTC One

BiGsMiLeSKyLe

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep the phone stock for a few months and see the pros and cons of keeping it stock. It may have just been my phone but when I did the steps to unlock the bootloader it erased EVERYTHING on my phone, including my pics, music, stuff I downloaded. I didn't read anywhere that this would happen and it might only have happened to me IDK. But just wanted to tell you to backup your stuff before you choose to do so, and see if you can download on XDA one of those all in one tools which would make unlocking and rooting your phone a breeze.

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Rooting will also, depending on the ROM you use, increase battery performance and generally cause your HTC One to perform faster; less bloatware and hardware consumption.

There's also other benefits, largely that you can further customize your phone that would not normally be afforded to you on stock/factory ROM.

There's many advantages to rooting, but in my opinion rooting is meant for power users. If you use your phone for the basics and aren't always on it every hour then you shouldn't have a need to root.

You can also root and not void your warranty by keeping a backup (as already mentioned in responses within this thread) of your factory install (how your phone is/was when you bought it). Well, this applies in many cases anyway.

If you are looking to root, BE SURE to follow a CREDIBLE guide (YouTube video, blog, etc.) and follow its instructions COMPLETELY and missing NOTHING. Also be sure that the rooting & ROM installation guides are for your phone carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech