How can I synchronize my xbox music library to my HTC one android phone

agustin ferreira

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I want to synchronize my music to my phone, but cannot. This is extremely frustrating. The program I use to sync music to my phone is HTC sync manager. This program can sync libraries directly from ITunes and windows media player, however not xbox music. The computer I use, and where all my music is, is a Microsoft surface tablet with windows 8, where xbox music is the default music program. My whole library is on xbox music and I cannot find an easy way to import my whole xbox music library into windows media player as there should be. It would take me an unrealistic amount of time to rebuild my whole library (as in every single playlist) and import songs individually into windows media player. I am sure there is an easier way, and if there isn't, one needs to be made. Please help me.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find much help with doing a direct sync. The official Xbox Music Android app requires an Xbox Music Pass, so it sounds fairly useless if you don't have a pass.

Do you have all of your music stored locally on your Surface, or is it in the Xbox Music cloud? If the music is stored locally, I would suggest uploading all of your music to the Google Music cloud using the Google Music Manager (https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1229970?hl=en). Once in the cloud, you can stream or download songs to your HTC One using Google Play Music. Not sure if Xbox playlists get uploaded correctly (although I can tell you that iTunes playlists work). Keep in mind, though, that it's an upload, not a sync--so any changes you make to your Xbox Music library afterwards won't automatically lead to changes in Google Music.

If you have a Surface RT, i'm not sure if Music Manager will work. If it's a Surface Pro, it ought to work.

agustin ferreira

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for responding.
All of my music is stored locally, however it is not stored as playlists or even albums - rather it is arranged by the months in which I added the music. My largest concern is having to reorganize all of my playlists, titles of songs, song ratings, album artwork and etc.
What would be ideal is if I could keep all my music on xbox music and use a third party program to sync the music onto my phone. Would you happen to know of any such program?
I am very reluctant to import all my music to another program, including google music or windows media player or anything. I am also reluctant to purchase an xbox music pass, however knowning that that is an option is reassuring.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, the real question is whether the OP wants to truly sync the music (meaning that any change to the music library on the Surface will be reflected automatically in the music library on the phone whenever they sync), or simply move the music over. I agree that if it's good enough just to move the music, then a simple drag & drop technique using Windows Explorer should be adequate. But I suspect the OP actually wants to sync.

agustin ferreira

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
can you please expand as to how to use windows explorer to drag and drop? It should be noted that xbox music is not like any desktop program, it is an app for the surface tablet

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a Surface Pro or RT? If you have a Pro with full Windows 8, I would assume it would act like a laptop, so if you plug the phone in via USB, it should be recognized as a drive by Windows Explorer. Not sure if Windows RT has this capability. Of course, not owning a Surface myself, I could be totally wrong.

Anyway, if Windows Explorer does recognize the phone, you should be able to copy music files easily.

Posted via Android Central App

agustin ferreira

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a pro, however when I plug in my phone, although it is recognized, I cannot easily sync music files; as the program I use to sync files and the only one I am aware that I can use to sync files is htc sync manager, and it cannot import music from xbox music

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would simply copy the music files by dragging and dropping, assuming you can see the files using the Windows file explorer. When you say your phone is recognized, can you open its folders using your Surface? If so, can you see the music folders and files? Then you should be able to copy your music files on your Surface directly to the music folder of your phone.

There isn't a good way to truly "sync" music files between Windows and Android--and when I say sync, I mean the true sync where if you add or delete a music file on your computer, it is reflected automatically the next time you connect your phone to the computer. There are apps like iSyncr that allow you to sync with iTunes, but I'm not aware of any that can sync with Xbox Music.