Switched from s4 to one, now what?

luzgemacht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I just switched from the s4 to the HTC one, basically because I saw the excellent Mega reviews here in the forum, but on the moment I can't find what the one is better then s4, I feel very much that I switched to a iPhone, I sacrificed on the micro SD and removable battery and a smaller screen, but I feel kinda locked in, please explain what the one is better then the s4 tnx

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi all I just switched from the s4 to the HTC one, basically because I saw the excellent Mega reviews here in the forum, but on the moment I can't find what the one is better then s4, I feel very much that I switched to a iPhone, I sacrificed on the micro SD and removable battery and a smaller screen, but I feel kinda locked in, please explain what the one is better then the s4 tnx

Well you should immediately be able to see the increased quality of the display and the great sound of the front facing speakers. I am not sure why the ONE would make you think it is an iPhone other than maybe higher quality build materials and non removable battery and no expandable memory. Internal storage is much more secure and more reliable. Android has moved away from expandable memory and removable batteries. For the users who HAVE TO HAVE this features, their choice in devices are very limited. Many users realize that they may not actually need these features and some see that they do. Give the ONE some time and I'll bet you will love it after you get used to it.

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Well you should immediately be able to see the increased quality of the display and the great sound of the front facing speakers. I am not sure why the ONE would make you think it is an iPhone other than maybe higher quality build materials and non removable battery and no expandable memory. Internal storage is much more secure and more reliable. Android has moved away from expandable memory and removable batteries. For the users who HAVE TO HAVE this features, their choice in devices are very limited. Many users realize that they may not actually need these features and some see that they do. Give the ONE some time and I'll bet you will love it after you get used to it.

???? Limited on devices with removable battery and expandable memory?????? Lost here..

Sent From My Lighting Fast Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Note 8.0.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I find it hard to believe that you made a smart phone switch on a few reviews from a forum, but have no idea what to do with the phone. I recommend you watch some video reviews of the phone, maybe some tricks and tips videos too.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
???? Limited on devices with removable battery and expandable memory?????? Lost here..

Sent From My Lighting Fast Galaxy Note 3 & Galaxy Note 8.0.

I mean limited in selecting a device, not that devices with removable battery and expandable storage are limiting.

Other than Samsung, what Android manufacturer is releasing U.S. versions of their devices with expandable memory or removable battery? All of Moto's new devices are sealed. HTC (sealed) New LG devices (Sealed). Samsung is the only major manufacturer with removable battery and expandable storage. That means users who require these features are limited to Samsung devices only.

SouthTex

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iphone 4s to the htc one last week an its nothing like an iphone thats for sure! Sure theres no removable battery or SD slot but that doesnt concern me much at all. The software of the iphone was too plain an bland so i got bored from it which was my main reason to go with the One. That being said, having owned every iphone that was out by Apple i can guarantee you the One is no where close to being like an iphone. I was debating on returning the One this past weekend but now after 4 days of usage im actually loving it more an more. Just give it some time an get familiar with it some more..

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

This question probably would of been more useful before you decided to switch, haha. Basically your getting a phone with a 1080p LCD3 screen, much nicer then amoled in my opinion. Your also getting some great exterior speakers from beats audio. The camera has some pretty cool features such as zoe. It's not made of plastic, (not bashing plastic) but more of a formal, elegant metal. Your getting HTC Sense instead of touchwiz. I like htc sense better. The IR blaster and HTC's TV software is way better then Samsung's. You do lose the ability to have expandable storage, and a removable battery, but the HTC does come standard with 32gigs. Their are many differences between these phones. I for one traded my S4 for the HTC One.

T-mobile Moto X

luzgemacht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Now a few questions, on my 4 everything was moveable and flexible, for example I didn't liked the stock dialer and messaging app I simply removed it from their spot down the screen, then I pressed disable and wooof no more, but on the one I don't find the option to remove the stock stuff and I can't change the bottom tiles, am I wrong?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Now a few questions, on my 4 everything was moveable and flexible, for example I didn't liked the stock dialer and messaging app I simply removed it from their spot down the screen, then I pressed disable and wooof no more, but on the one I don't find the option to remove the stock stuff and I can't change the bottom tiles, am I wrong?

This is a difference between Touchwiz and Sense. You can move it, but Sense has a different way of doing it. I believe you go out to the app drawer push and hold the icon you want, slide it up to the top of the screen where it says place shortcut or something. It will then go to your home screen. Now you can place it where you want. There is a learning curve between Samsung's and HTC's software.

T-mobile Moto X

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

It sounds like you want to change the launcher on your phone. Doing so will you to easily do the things you've listed and much much more. The best launchers, IMO, are Nova, Apex, ADW, and Go Launcher. These are all available in the Play Store and all have free versions.

Note 8.0 LTE via Tapatalk IV

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Android has moved away from expandable memory and removable batteries.
And the only hardware company that sells in the US that still supports them makes a vast majority of the profit of Android hardware sales. People bash Samsung all the time for how they handle storage, but the sales numbers show that they're doing what people want.

What it boils down to between the two phones if you look at it from a functional perspective is a slightly different display, a slightly different camera, more internal storage on the One for the money, more total storage on the S4, a removable battery on the S4 and better speakers on the One. IMO, none of the stock launchers are worth using over the free versions of Nova or Apex (or probably others, but I haven't used them) so I don't take that into account. All this talk about which is better doesn't take into account how different people use their phones and declaring one "better" than the other is just a way to get more hits. People want to hear about a clear winner more than they want to hear factual information.

badams1

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

You are supposed to come ask us why its better BEFORE you go and switch them out. Hope you like it...but don't **** and moan here if you don't.

Peace.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
People bash Samsung all the time for how they handle storage, but the sales numbers show that they're doing what people want.

I am not bashing Samsung for how they handle storage. Options are always good to have. My one knock on Samsung storage wise is how little of the 16gb you actually have out of the box on the S4 for example (9.6gb I believe) due to all of the Touchwiz crap they load it down with. I would never not buy a device based on whether or not it had expandable memory as long as the internal memory was sufficient for what I needed it for. What gets me is when users say they MUST have expandable memory even on devices with plenty of internal storage. But each users needs are different.

Samsung's dominance of the market has very little to do with expandable memory or removable batteries. Working in wireless for years taught me that outside of a handful of hardcore users on sites like AC, the average consumer couldn't care less about these features. Most of them didn't even realize their phone had a removable battery and they wouldn't know what a micro sd card was if their life depended on it. I am not knocking Samsung, but their success is from great marketing. They make good products and market the hell out of them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not bashing Samsung for how they handle storage. Options are always good to have. My one knock on Samsung storage wise is how little of the 16gb you actually have out of the box on the S4 for example (9.6gb I believe) due to all of the Touchwiz crap they load it down with. I would never not buy a device based on whether or not it had expandable memory as long as the internal memory was sufficient for what I needed it for. What gets me is when users say they MUST have expandable memory even on devices with plenty of internal storage. But each users needs are different.

Samsung's dominance of the market has very little to do with expandable memory or removable batteries. Working in wireless for years taught me that outside of a handful of hardcore users on sites like AC, the average consumer couldn't care less about these features. Most of them didn't even realize their phone had a removable battery and they wouldn't know what a micro sd card was if their life depended on it. I am not knocking Samsung, but their success is from great marketing. They make good products and market the hell out of them.

They fixed this with the Note 3 and I'm sure future devices... They are going to be standard 32 GB.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.