Black Otterbox Defender affecting proximity sensors! Anybody else?

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there anybody here who has the Black Otterbox Defender series case for the One? If you do is anybody having issues with the proximity sensor. I've noticed now when I call someone not on speaker phone, the screen is almost to sensitive now. It will go black before I even come close to my ear. Also sometimes it won't come back on until I put my phone back to my ear. It's not the phone. It's the case. Works fine without it...
Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

anon(7894520)

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
well if it works fine without the case then you know exactly what the problem is..

what are you trying to find out? if your particular case is defective?

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
well if it works fine without the case then you know exactly what the problem is..

what are you trying to find out? if your particular case is defective?

I'm trying to figure out why the case is causing it. The sensor is not covered. It's exposed just like if the case was not there. The Otterbox just has a big lip on it. Not sure if it's picking up a shadow from it.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Did you update to 4.3? After the update a lot of us have issues with the proximity sensor, so it might not be your otterbox case.

Posted via Android Central App

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you update to 4.3? After the update a lot of us have issues with the proximity sensor, so it might not be your otterbox case.

Yea I updated to 4.3 over the weekend manually online from htc. And I just got the case yesterday. So maybe it is 4.3. I'll play around with the phone some more and see. Maybe it is the updated 4.3 causing it. Thanks!

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Commuter case and 4.3, no issues.

I had the Commuter case also no problems. With my line of work I needed something little tougher with a holster. I'll take it off tonight and see if it changes thanks

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I use Otterbox Defender Black color. Before the 4.3 update, no issues. After the 4.3 update, sometimes I get blank screen while on a call.....
Could be that the sensitivity increased with the 4.3 update...

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I use Otterbox Defender Black color. Before the 4.3 update, no issues. After the 4.3 update, sometimes I get blank screen while on a call.....
Could be that the sensitivity increased with the 4.3 update...

That's exactly what I'm getting also. Sometimes when on a call if I just pull it away from my ear the screen will come on and then go out. Even if it's not close to my ear. I can also tilt the phone down and the screen goes blank. This is not on speaker phone. So sensitivity must of been increased.

harlow77

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
YES IT DOES!

I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Restarted my phone and everything. Then I remembered that I had just bough the otterbox the same day that my proximity was messing up. i took off the otterbox, tested a call to myself, and it worked. I had the same issue as you.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
YES IT DOES!

I thought there was something wrong with my phone. Restarted my phone and everything. Then I remembered that I had just bough the otterbox the same day that my proximity was messing up. i took off the otterbox, tested a call to myself, and it worked. I had the same issue as you.
Try the UAG (urban armor gear) I dont use a holster. In fact I cannot stand having the phone on my hip. I always go front pocket since i got my RMHD phone a year ago. UAG does not add much bulk to the phone. I got mine off Amazon for 25 bux and free shipping with prime.