Upgrade to Nexus 5 or stay with HTC One?

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 options, I could buy the Nexus 5 new from google for $350, or buy a used HTC One off of eBay for around $360ish. I have had an HTC One for about a month now and I really like a lot about it but it seems like the Nexus is an all around better phone. Here are somethings that really matter to me
Camera
Sound (which obviously goes to the HTC)
Battery
Not having the pink tint on my camera
Google Now
I don't play heavy games like dead trigger but I do like to play games
I am going to be getting the Nexus 10 2nd gen when it comes out if that it is factor
I like having the 32gb, although I highly doubt I will ever use all of it. I have google play and netflix so most of this is just streaming
I don't like waiting 3-4 weeks for the Nexus 5 to ship
I like having updates fast
I have little to no complaints about sense 5 ( only problems are blinkfeed and the number of homescreens available)
What do you guys recommend?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally I love the camera features of the HTC One. That and the screen are the 2 reasons I'm sticking with my One

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 options, I could buy the Nexus 5 new from google for $350, or buy a used HTC One off of eBay for around $360ish. I have had an HTC One for about a month now and I really like a lot about it but it seems like the Nexus is an all around better phone. Here are somethings that really matter to me
Camera
Battery
Google Now
I am going to be getting the Nexus 10 2nd gen when it comes out if that it is factor
I like having the 32gb, although I highly doubt I will ever use all of it. I have google play and netflix so most of this is just streaming
I have little to no complaints about sense 5 ( only problems are blinkfeed and the number of homescreens available)
So you have an HTC One but you're going to buy another one?
None of this is definitive, we'll see in a few days when more people start getting their N5s
1) Nexus 5 (OIS)
2) HTC One
3) Nexus 5 (Snapdragon 800)
4) Nexus 5
5) Nexus 5
6) Nexus 5
7) Not a factor unless you want something different
8) Neither have expandable storage so if you think you're going to use more than 16GB for apps either get the 32GB N5 or the One
9) Your only choice unless you want to buy one from Best Buy for $450
10) Nexus 5
Nexus 5 has more of what you want so I'd recommend that over the One :)

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
None of this is definitive, we'll see in a few days when more people start getting their N5s
1) Nexus 5 (OIS)
2) HTC One
3) Nexus 5 (Snapdragon 800)
4) Nexus 5
5) Nexus 5
6) Nexus 5
7) Not a factor unless you want something different
8) Neither have expandable storage so if you think you're going to use more than 16GB for apps either get the 32GB N5 or the One
9) Your only choice unless you want to buy one from Best Buy for $450
10) Nexus 5
Nexus 5 has more of what you want so I'd recommend that over the One :)

Wow thanks for the advice. I heard the best buy one was $700 but I guess I might be wrong. The only problem is that I think best buy one sells sprint versions and I have ATT.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
1) Nexus 5 (OIS)

Guessing you don't know that the One's camera has OIS...

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Wow thanks for the advice. I heard the best buy one was $700 but I guess I might be wrong. The only problem is that I think best buy one sells sprint versions and I have ATT.

There is only one version. It will work on any carrier except Verizon

Dave Clark

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The one, while good is no comparison to the Nexus 5 IMO. You have to weigh up what your going to use your phone for and pick the best option for you?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Camera
Battery
Google Now

I think they are both really great devices. I have been with a Moto X for the last month or so and really like it. That being said, I got the Nexus fever and decided I wanted to get something else to go alongside my Moto X. I gave up my ONE for my Moto X and while I don't really "regret" it, I definitely miss my ONE. I started thinking about the N5 vs ONE pros and cons and decided for me I wanted to pick up a ONE. Premium build materials, great speakers and awesome sound through headphones, great dev community and most important it can be fully converted to a Google Play Edition so I have the best of both worlds including the GPE Kit Kat update very soon. Some may think I should have gone with a N5 but I think the HTC ONE is still a great option:)

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think they are both really great devices. I have been with a Moto X for the last month or so and really like it. That being said, I got the Nexus fever and decided I wanted to get something else to go alongside my Moto X. I gave up my ONE for my Moto X and while I don't really "regret" it, I definitely miss my ONE. I started thinking about the N5 vs ONE pros and cons and decided for me I wanted to pick up a ONE. Premium build materials, great speakers and awesome sound through headphones, great dev community and most important it can be fully converted to a Google Play Edition so I have the best of both worlds including the GPE Kit Kat update very soon. Some may think I should have gone with a N5 but I think the HTC ONE is still a great option:)

Thanks for the comment! I have a very similar mindset!

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Camera
Battery
Google Now

I just got my Nexus 5 coming from the One. I would suggest the nexus 5 for you. The camera is so much better. Honestly the 7 months with the One's camera was a terrible experience (camera wise. The one is good phone otherwise) nothing will ever beat the One when it comes to sound. The HTC One has whiter whites when it comes to the display. But the nexus is sharp and crystal clear. Nexus is faster with less bloat. Nexus feels good in the hands even though its not metal.

Also, I ordered my Nexus 5 and it said 2-3 weeks, but it shipped in 1 DAY and I got it a day early. (thanks ups!)

Posted via Nexus 7 Android Central App

morrsn

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the purple thing issue thingy so I totally loathe my One's camera. Beats just gives treble and bass a boost and sometimes it even makes my music sound ****tier on my headphones. Speakers are superb and from what I've read the n5's speakers are no match.

The only reason keeping me from buying the N5 is battery life. Before buying the One I had a N4 and I hated that battery life. I've read a lot of people comparing the n5's battery to the n4's and that's totally a deal breaker to me. :(

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Get what you want. The only "spec" the Nexus 5 has over the One is the processor SD 800 v. 600.

Otherwise you get superior Battery, Camera, Storage, Bluetooth, Speakers/Sound.

The One still dominates the 5, except for off-contract price.

You guys that don't have a One or Nexus 5 need to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Go read Alex's camera and battery write-ups.

Get the phone you want, seriously, both nice devices.

mamartin89

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Get what you want. The only "spec" the Nexus 5 has over the One is the processor SD 800 v. 600.

Otherwise you get superior Battery, Camera, Storage, Bluetooth, Speakers/Sound.

The One still dominates the 5, except for off-contract price.

You guys that don't have a One or Nexus 5 need to keep your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Go read Alex's camera and battery write-ups.

Get the phone you want, seriously, both nice devices.

Honestly the battery life of the Nexus 5 is basically the same as the HTC One. I have been using the HTC One for 7 months up until 2 days ago when I got the N5. So I do have experience with both. And the Nexus 5 has a better camera, a lot better. you are right about the sound and bluetooth though

KingKye00

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am going to get the nexus 5 rather than stay with the HTC One because I thinlk the software of the nexus 5 is much better also considering you will get every update as soon as it comes out. If you are talking hardware then the one wins all the way it is just more durable and feels better in the hand and with the front facing speakers. It had the Boomsound audio which was great for music or videos. One thing I like a lot about the Nexus is that the images are more crystal and the screen just looks clean. If you do get the Nexus put a screen protector on it because if you watch drop tests it does pretty bad. Although the Nexus 5 does not have an IR blaster it makes up for it with it's great software. I will miss going into best buy and freaking people out by turning the t.v off that they are watching. I am going with the Nexus and so should you.:)

cliro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I just exchanged my nexus 5 for HTC one and I love the build quality of the one, also nexus has a lack of quality cases which was a deal breaker for me.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Now I must say it's too late unless you absolutely need a new phone right now,just wait a couple of weeks for the new HTC M8 and Sammy S5.
Both upcoming flagships will be superior in many ways to both One and N5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech