Locked out of my HTC One and can't get back into it!!

hafeau

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I gave my phone to a friend and then they locked me out of my HTC One. Now I am on the screen where you have to put in your google information, I know my gmail account and password and have tried using it but I have no internet connection and it keeps saying that I have my username or password wrong, I've tried three accounts I've had. Do I need internet access for this?
I want to avoid a factory reset at all costs as I have some messages on my phone I don't want wiped and I have photos on my phone as well that are very valuable. I've heard that some people pay up to $200 to reset their phone at various phone companies to get their phone fixed or for them simply to reset them. Again, a factory reset is my last option but I'm stressing out!

hafeau

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually "sentinelly" I wasn't lying, and if I was then I must be pretty generous to pay $85 a month for a phone that isn't even mine. I can tell you how long I've had my phone, my service provider, how often I pay the phone bill etc, etc. I understand if you get pissed off with some people on these forums, but you could've at least given me some useful feedback or a helping hand. :)
Also, it's a null thread now as I've given in and done a factory reset, thanks for all the help!!!

Last edited:

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I gave my phone to a friend and then they locked me out of my HTC One. Now I am on the screen where you have to put in your google information, I know my gmail account and password and have tried using it but I have no internet connection and it keeps saying that I have my username or password wrong, I've tried three accounts I've had. Do I need internet access for this?
I want to avoid a factory reset at all costs as I have some messages on my phone I don't want wiped and I have photos on my phone as well that are very valuable. I've heard that some people pay up to $200 to reset their phone at various phone companies to get their phone fixed or for them simply to reset them. Again, a factory reset is my last option but I'm stressing out!

Try connecting the phone to a computer via USB, see if you can open the phones folders from the computer, (remember to wait a minute for the driver to run), if so, transfer all your important data/files to the pc and then you can do a factory reset without concern.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You probably need Internet. My main thing is... How and why did you give it to your friend... How did they lock you out?... Doesn't sound right that you'd give them a phone to use that's locked.

Either way you'll most likely need an Internet connection.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
You definitely need internet to unlock once you've gone to the point it's asking for your account information. It seems stupid since you've entered it a thousand times when setting up the phone that it should have to have internet access to verify. That's one thing I'm worried about with this phone since no other app can take you into or out of Airplane mode on 4.X and higher. I used to use Tasker to turn on and off Airplane mode and set up a profile to turn off APM if I plugged it into the wall at a certain time of day, that way I could never be locked out. Now I feel like I'm using APM at my own risk since I have no way to turn it off should I find myself locked out with it on. If you can get network access and enter your information you should be fine, if you're locked out in APM, you'll have to take it into a carrier. My guess would be a corporate location too. I doubt a franchise will be able to do it or do it correctly. Factory resetting it will not unlock it either. There was a post a couple of years ago where some dishonest person had the nerve to post on the boards that they had found a device and wanted to unlock it. They tried everything even a factory reset to unlock it and all failed. Oh and don't worry about sentinelly they will quickly be put in their place on the boards. Talking to people that way will not be tolerated by many and having only made 34 posts with that being one of them it's only a matter of time before someone puts the smack down on them. Good luck with your problem.

hafeau

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You probably need Internet. My main thing is... How and why did you give it to your friend... How did they lock you out?... Doesn't sound right that you'd give them a phone to use that's loced.

I'm only fifteen. During P.E I gave my friend my phone to hold while I ran and she decided it'd be funny to lock me out of my phone while I wasn't watching - thinking it was like an IPhone lock just with time. So I got it back and my phone was locked out, gave it to her unlocked to hold got it back and it was locked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm only fifteen. During P.E I gave my friend my phone to hold while I ran and she decided it'd be funny to lock me out of my phone while I wasn't watching - thinking it was like an IPhone lock just with time. So I got it back and my phone was locked out, gave it to her unlocked to hold got it back and it was locked.

Wow I'd be pist lol. Warn that friend that some people (even on iPhones) have it set to wipe all data from the phone after 10 or more failed attempts.... They should be careful to not do that because one day they could erase someone's important things like files and pictures.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow I'd be pist lol. Warn that friend that some people (even on iPhones) have it set to wipe all data from the phone after 10 or more failed attempts.... They should be careful to not do that because one day they could erase someone's important things like files and pictures.

I never give my phone to anyone.. It's to precious..

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I never give my phone to anyone.. It's to precious..

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

I don't either but this kid does lol.... And their friend thinks it's funny to lock em out :p.

Leidy V

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
The same problem happened to me, what I did was I logged on inside my gmail account on my computer and then changed my password. I placed the new password into the phone and I was able to finally get in. I suggest for you to remember not to let friends like that borrow your phone and remember to only put your username (not the "@gmail.com" at the end of the username). Anyways, hope this helps.

random username

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm stuck in the same situation. My phone is locked out and I'm stuck on the login screen with both wifi and data turned off. Luckily airplane mode wasn't on at the time. I've tried changing my password but I was skeptical it would work and it didn't. I've hooked it up to the computer to back up my files and it won't even allow me access to that. I hate the idea of factory resetting and losing all my stuff, but right now hope is bleak. Any breakthroughs?
T-mobile HTC One M7 - Andriod 4.4 - Sense 5.5 - not rooted

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken your carrier should be able to unlock it for you. I may also be mistaken but I thought I read a post where factory resetting it didn't remove the lock.

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Your response was very helpful, one quick update to the blog question is use the gmail account that was added most recently.
I dont know how, but I think the most recently added account is considered as primary account when trying to unlock the phone.:)

Ayush Tentwal

May 27, 2014
Visit site
hey i recently had the same problem that my htc one 802d got locked due to a lot of failed attempt to get through pattern lock by a child at our home

i tried a lot by entering the correct email and password of the google account which is by default the admin account of and android device

fortunately while the phone was locked i was connected to internet as mobile data was turned on... and finally found that the reason for which device is unable to unlock even after correct email and password was 2-STEP VERIFICATION which was enabled on my account, and hence device was failing to complete login... so i DISABLE 2-STEP VERIFICATION through computer and tried again... and my device was unlocked!!!

i had researched a lot before i was able to unlock the device and the result is that if u do not have access to internet because your mobile data and wifi is disabled then u CANNOT access your mobile and the only option left is a complete factory data reset

WonkyGibbon

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I found a better solution.

Rather than turn 2 step verification off, go into two step verification on a PC, and create another app specific password - then bash that into your mobile and you'll be able to get in.

This stops you having to wipe all your other two step passwords for other apps.

Kellycat777

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
You probably need Internet. My main thing is... How and why did you give it to your friend... How did they lock you out?... Doesn't sound right that you'd give them a phone to use that's locked.

Either way you'll most likely need an Internet connection.

I gave my old phone to my daughter and forgot my old password. Why can't it be possible he gave it to a friend? Gez, why think the worst.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463