Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Troneas
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default hangouts 2.0

Is anyone gotten the update to the new hangouts yet?

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Default Re: hangouts 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by supert1020 View Post
    Is anyone gotten the update to the new hangouts yet?

I have not and have checked a ton the last 24 hours. ATT one in Atlanta Georgia.

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I've been trying too and I haven't got it either. I'm on Sprint in NY.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

3 of my co-works have gotten the update but not me :-( so jealous.

i got it yesterday, but you'll still want to use the stock app for sms.

Quote Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
    i got it yesterday, but you'll still want to use the stock app for sms.
    With all due respect don't tell us what we will want to do. Thanks. I can't wait to make this my default.

Nothing for me either, gf's S4 has it and 4.3 since this morning and I have neither!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just dl the apk online. I did. Works phenomenally.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I'd prefer stock, using hangouts for sms just stinks since idk why but it has a character limits, so I can't write more than 160 character limit. Idk if it's a bug or something, but doing stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by bigtnew View Post
    With all due respect don't tell us what we will want to do. Thanks. I can't wait to make this my default.

chill dude. i have not issued a worldwide decree here. you will still get the update.

which i have tried and its limited. you havent. you made a decision without even trying it. fine, suit yourself to not being able to block spam sms or hangouts not identifying phones which you havent entered in the "proper" format. not to mention a character limit per text..

geez.

I still haven't gotten it either but I did side load it. Finally have group messaging, but my battery life sucked. I un-installed it for this reason

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

I have 4.3 waiting for me to install, but won't commit until I see further comments. It appears people are having problems.

chill dude. i have not issued a worldwide decree here. you will still get the update.

which i have tried and its limited. you havent. you made a decision without even trying it. fine, suit yourself to not being able to block spam sms or hangouts not identifying phones which you havent entered in the "proper" format. not to mention a character limit per text..

geez.
    Again don't tell me what to do! I side loaded it days ago and liked it. I just want the official Google release. Even if it's the same as the apk. Maybe you just don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtnew View Post
    Again don't tell me what to do! I side loaded it days ago and liked it. I just want the official Google release. Even if it's the same as the apk. Maybe you just don't understand.

You don't want to use hangouts for sms.
    Last edited by Troneas; 11-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    adriandb likes this.

You don't want to use hangouts for sms.
    Downloaded apk again and am using it for SMS now. It's awesome.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One with a cracked screen.

My hangouts updated and I used it for about a day or so for SMS, but have since uninstalled the updates and went back to the facroty version on my HTC One, I thought it was rather slow and somewhat buggy. It definitely wasn't as good as the stock messaging app on my phone. The emoji's were slow to load almost every time I opened them and I had quite a bit of issues with SMS not being sent. Glad some people are having a better experience than I did, but I will not be using it for SMS, at least not this current version that is being released.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I just got 2.0. Finally. I haven't played with it what does everyone out there think of it. Should I use it for SMS

Got it last night. Have to say, I'm enjoying it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Have to say,I think it's pretty dreadful.why is it only 90% of the screen wide? It's a mess.

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts

I got the update a couple of days ago. It's not terrible, but it is a bit slow to send SMS messages, plus it appears to have eaten an incoming MMS; I got the "Tap to download" message in Hangouts, but nothing ever comes through, while the Messages app doesn't show it at all.

It seems pretty obvious that Hangouts as currently implemented is just a front end for whatever services you use, hence the ability to concurrently use the Messages app (+) as well as the lack of conversational continuity (-).

I'm hoping this is still early days, and that a tighter integration is in the works.

I wan to say that I've had 2 or 3 updates in the past few days, to a week, for hangouts, but I've only just recently even tried Hangouts. I've only tried it because I read a post about being able to do sms with it. I really don't know much about it but I'm not terribly impressed with it so far. I don't think I've experienced the character limit. I get pretty wordy so if there is a limit I will probably not use it. Right now I'm just playing around with it, but I keep catching myself in Handcent, old habits and all. Anyway I haven't found anything that is really a compelling reason to continue to use it over any other app. I don't feel like it has many options, which I guess could appeal to the vanilla android users. It doesn't show all the profile pics I have for people, I accidentally archived some messages and now it seems like I need a network to view them, I don't know what the mood option changes, and everything is really slow on it. Seems like it's always loading, or taking forever to send a message. Just now it took 2 minutes to add a contact to an SMS? I have a feeling my time with hangout will be short.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.