Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Joonas Savolainen
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC one thinks it's in usb connection when it's plugged to charger.

The title says it all... My phone HTC One says its plugged to USB when its plugged to wall. Keeps complaining me about slow charging. I can recharge my phone, but this is extremely annoying. I bought my HTC today and it already gives me problems... Noh very promising for a phone like
    this...
    Last edited by Joonas Savolainen; 11-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Default Re: HTC one thinks it's in usb connection when it's plugged to charger.

A generic charger could cause this issue, a HTC charger shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamsberg View Post
    A generic charger could cause this issue, a HTC charger shouldn't.
    Agreed. If it's with the stock charger, it needs to go back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The two previous posters are on the right track. Even if you are using the stock cord that came with the device it may be dirty or damaged in one way or another. Simply replacing the cord should solve this for you.

My Big Lots and Dollar General sell this cord for $6.

This cable is shorter than OEM but only costs $2.99.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I took a closer look at the cord and noticed that the micro USB adapter was actually a little bent from the part sticking out of the plastic cover. The problem was, indeed, in the cord.

Luckily my brother has Samsung s3 with micro USB charger. I plugged it to my HTC and the other end to the wall. It did start to charge normally. Oddly, it didn't give me any kind of message that I'm using a charger from another company, while the stock charger gave me it.

Oh the irony!

Thanks for replies! I already thought they sent me a non-functional phone.
    Adamsberg and ram1220 like this.

Thanks for feedback

For proper charging the phone has to "see" the HTC charger's modified data pins ... via the cable's two data conductors. Without that "seeing" the phone will only allow trickle charging.
    So your cable's bent pin was one of the data's.

Most generic chargers haven't this modification of their data pins, but Samsung's chargers have it, not the same, but a similar ... and good enough for a HTC phone

Thanks for feedback

For proper charging the phone has to "see" the HTC charger's modified data pins ... via the cable's two data conductors. Without that "seeing" the phone will only allow trickle charging.
    So your cable's bent pin was one of the data's.

Most generic chargers haven't this modification of their data pins, but Samsung's chargers have it, not the same, but a similar ... and good enough for a HTC phone
    I call shenanigans. I've never had a cord say it wasn't correct for the phone I'm using it on, and I've used some of the most generic cables I can find. Did I mention I'm cheap? The $6 Duracell cable from Big Lots works just as well to transfer data as charge the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by VidJunky View Post
    I call shenanigans. I've never had a cord say it wasn't correct for the phone I'm using it on, and I've used some of the most generic cables I can find. Did I mention I'm cheap? The $6 Duracell cable from Big Lots works just as well to transfer data as charge the phone.
    I was speaking about generic chargers, not about generic cables (cords, wires)
    Last edited by Adamsberg; 12-01-2013 at 03:02 AM.

I was speaking about generic chargers, not about generic cables (cords, wires)
    I haven't tried everything, but I'm still a little skeptical because I have used my one piece AC only Moto charger and Kyocera charger leftover from different dumb phones with no message. One could argue they aren't generic, old but name brand. These days a lot of chargers are just cables that plug into usb adapters. Both AC and DC and I guess that's why I immediately went there. I'll have to just leave it at, I've never got the message.

Most phone producers follows the recommendation of USB standards for USB chargers ... they modify the data pins of their chargers in this or a similar way for to bring the phone in 'AC charging' mode, means rapid charging with high amperage.

With generic chargers this modificaton is rare feature to find.

Wikipedia: Jumpered data pins on USB chargers
    Look at -> 'Power' -> 'Charging ports and accessory charging adapters'
    Last edited by Adamsberg; 12-01-2013 at 06:38 AM.

I also face same problem. My HTC one got replaced with a new one and which shows USB connect while charging . It is taking too much time to get full charged also. My old HTC One was perfectly taking charge with the charger and cord I am using for the new one (cord not from HTC but charger). Do you think my issue can be solved with an HTC cord?

Global Posts
    1,507 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Quote Originally Posted by shah mohammed View Post
    I also face same problem. My HTC one got replaced with a new one and which shows USB connect while charging . It is taking too much time to get full charged also. My old HTC One was perfectly taking charge with the charger and cord I am using for the new one (cord not from HTC but charger). Do you think my issue can be solved with an HTC cord?
    Yes try using the OEM cord and charger that came with your phone. I had this same issue where the usb side of my charger cord came slightly unplugged from the plug and would not charge fast
    Blackberry Curve 8330 - Blackberry Storm 2 9550 - iPod Touch 4th gen - Apple Iphone 4 - Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Motorola RAZR HD (wife) - HTC One