Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By adriandb
  • 2 Post By IAmSixNine
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thoughts about faster charging for the One.

Hello!
    I am back from a good month with the S4,it's a very nice phone but the lack of Sense is big!
    The one of few things I liked more on S4 than One was the fast battery charging,it was like 45-60mins to charge completely a battery (2600 and 2800mah) while with HTC One you need at least 2 hours!
    I have found that the battery charging on S4 is VERY slow though if you charge it with an USB PC cable,like about 4 hours.
    So I wonder if we charge the HTC One with the original S4 charger,it will make charging much faster as the capacity of the S4 charger is higher than others?

Not sure about, the reason for faster charging might be Samsung's using of batteries with higher cell voltage limits, so the charging control can use high amperage somewhat longer time
    (when the cells are reaching their voltage limit the charging controll has to decrease the amperage).

With a battery monitor app you'd see that the S4 cell voltage is limited to 4.35V, my HTC One X cell voltage is limited to the (standard) 4.2V.

BTW, Battery Monitor Widget would show you cell voltage, charging amperage and % capacity by time in a graph.

Aah .. yes, the reason for the trickle charging charging on a PC's USB:
    The phone won't "see" the modified data pins of the HTC or Samsung charger and therefore won't switch to its rapid charging mode.
    And I don't think that the S4 charger on the HTC One would gain someting.
    Last edited by Adamsberg; 12-01-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Default Re: HTC One - Thoughts about faster charging

The One has a slow charge time on purpose to lengthen the battery's life span as it is sealed in. "It's a feature not a bug!" A different charger won't change the charging speed.

That said, I'll be flashing a kernel that allows for faster charging.
    Adamsberg likes this.

To also add to what Adamsberg said.
    Most PC USB ports output 500mA. The stock charger for HTC is 1A or 1000mA. So you get double the current output with a wall charger.
    And as adriandb mentioned the kernel only allows slow charging to lengthen the life span of the battery.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    The One has a slow charge time on purpose to lengthen the battery's life span as it is sealed in. "It's a feature not a bug!" A different charger won't change the charging speed.

That said, I'll be flashing a kernel that allows for faster charging.
    I've flashed one of the kernels (I don't remember which one) on my phone, and I'm using ViperOne, but I don't see much (if any at all) difference in charging time. Have you noticed anything? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EverNap View Post
    I've flashed one of the kernels (I don't remember which one) on my phone, and I'm using ViperOne, but I don't see much (if any at all) difference in charging time. Have you noticed anything? Thanks.
    I just put the Elemental kernel on here and I've definitely noticed a difference. I can gain battery while charging in my car, streaming audio and using navigation. I could never do that with the stock kernel and slow charging.

I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow, but with Android Revolution HD GPE ROM and the Elemental kernel I'm getting way better battery life in general.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
    Thanked by 2:

OK this isn't exactly scientific testing, but I charged my phone while I took a quick shower this morning and got 10% of my battery back. I'm going to run it down as low as I can and see how long a recharge takes.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Default Re: Thoughts about faster charging for the One.

Slightly more scientific; I drained it down below 10% and with an hour of charging I gained just over 50% battery.

That's far better than before this kernel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    I just put the Elemental kernel on here and I've definitely noticed a difference. I can gain battery while charging in my car, streaming audio and using navigation. I could never do that with the stock kernel and slow charging.

I'll do some more extensive testing tomorrow, but with Android Revolution HD GPE ROM and the Elemental kernel I'm getting way better battery life in general.
    That is awesome! I need to look into doing this because it scares me when I am using my phone for GPS and streaming music- but losing battery level while plugged in charging.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app