Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patrixl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One: My purple camera

Hi guys, and thanks for reading firstly of all, I have been enjoying my new HTC One, which is almost flawless, however, I would like to ask you about the purple/red camera issue in low light conditions.

When I block the camera completely, it goes almost red, I read and searched and found out that this issue was supposedly addressed by the 4.3 update, and that almost every time people send their phones for replacement due to this issue, they get it again eventually, so my question is: Do you think 4.4 and sense 5.5 will address this? If not, any solutions? Thank you all!

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: HTC One: My purple camera

It's a hardware fault. Your best bet is to get the camera module replaced. So far there are no reports of September onwards modules going purple, but those pretty new still.

If you use ES file explorer and go to /sys/android_camera and open the file as a text file, it'll tell you when your camera sensor was made.

Software updates have yet to fix the camera. My Taiwanese One had the updates that supposedly fixed the purple tint, but it hadn't developed the tint at all. My J One did get the tint but is still on 4.2 so no idea if software would fix it... I sent it in for repairs and it's good now. Crossing my fingers.

interestingly, the US updates didn't include any camera fix in the description of the updates..
    Sent from my HTL22 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    BigDinCA likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by patrixl View Post
    It's a hardware fault. Your best bet is to get the camera module replaced. So far there are no reports of September onwards modules going purple, but those pretty new still.

If you use ES file explorer and go to /sys/android_camera and open the file as a text file, it'll tell you when your camera sensor was made.

Software updates have yet to fix the camera. My Taiwanese One had the updates that supposedly fixed the purple tint, but it hadn't developed the tint at all. My J One did get the tint but is still on 4.2 so no idea if software would fix it... I sent it in for repairs and it's good now. Crossing my fingers.

interestingly, the US updates didn't include any camera fix in the description of the updates..
    Sent from my HTL22 using Tapatalk
    Damn, the problem is that my phone is not obtainable right now in my country, so to send it back it's going to take quite a while to return, so you are absolutely positive that the only way around is a replacement?

it's a hardware issue. My One is getting repairs now but it's taking ages for the camera module to arrive. some took about 3 months!!!
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The issue is I can't afford to be 3 months without my phone, Damn, the phone would be flawless without this problem, anyone here with the some light about the new incoming updates? Maybe a camera got fixed with it

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Anyone? Bump

i was really struggling whether to deal with the tint or not, while buying the ONE.
    i live in Israel, there is no real serious HTC service here.
    after buying there is no real use starting to complain about the camera module, have it replaced.
    is would take months. by the time i'll have a fixed sensor, the next HTC flagship will be out.
    so i tested the camera, and found out i can live with a bit of tint in extreme low light.
    it's not worth it for me to make it "flawless".
    in my device, if the tint appears in some of the pictures, it's usually only at the darker edges,
    so it's not a big deal. worst case i can remove it in Photoshop.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by rozroz View Post
    i was really struggling whether to deal with the tint or not, while buying the ONE.
    i live in Israel, there is no real serious HTC service here.
    after buying there is no real use starting to complain about the camera module, have it replaced.
    is would take months. by the time i'll have a fixed sensor, the next HTC flagship will be out.
    so i tested the camera, and found out i can live with a bit of tint in extreme low light.
    it's not worth it for me to make it "flawless".
    in my device, if the tint appears in some of the pictures, it's usually only at the darker edges,
    so it's not a big deal. worst case i can remove it in Photoshop.
    You are quite right indeed, however, I would still like to find out if someone with a Google edition one for fixed with kit kat

Quote Originally Posted by Fhenrus View Post
    You are quite right indeed, however, I would still like to find out if someone with a Google edition one for fixed with kit kat
    don't count on it. they might minimize it but it's hardware.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by rozroz View Post
    don't count on it. they might minimize it but it's hardware.
    I read all htc one 's eventually develop the problem, is this true?

I read all htc one 's eventually develop the problem, is this true?

i don't know. i know that mine have some tint but it's not such a big deal.
    as i said before, it has wide angle and very good colors, good low light capacity. good enough.

I also have this issue. However, many people have said it is temperature related. The colder the phone, the less dramatic the purple effect. I have noticed it being slightly less bad now that it is winter althougj I think the 4.3 update also helped slightly. I also have noticed that it is less bad when taking a ZOE. If your purple tint isn't horrendous (some people are barely able to use camera at all) you should be able to remove any slight purple tint with a photo editing app (eg Snapseed). Ultimately it is your call what you do. If you can live with it work around it and enjoy the rest of the phone. Mine only does it in extremely poor light and to be honest, I can't really blame the camera not being perfect in those situations.
    Thanked by:

Also the other poster is right. This seems to be a hardware issue. I would not expect a software fix and would not be surprised if all HTC ONES eventually develop it to some extent (ie if they get too hot). Like I said I've heard heat is a big factor (but who knows).
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by JBeef View Post
    Also the other poster is right. This seems to be a hardware issue. I would not expect a software fix and would not be surprised if all HTC ONES eventually develop it to some extent (ie if they get too hot). Like I said I've heard heat is a big factor (but who knows).
    I have been experiencing some strange things, as yesterday my phone had tint in almost all pictures. Today the tint is gone even in a no-light environment, I can't really know if it is that bad... Anyone else with an experience to share? Someone who actually changed his phone.

I have been experiencing some strange things, as yesterday my phone had tint in almost all pictures. Today the tint is gone even in a no-light environment, I can't really know if it is that bad... Anyone else with an experience to share? Someone who actually changed his phone.
    My phone developed quite bad purple tint eventually, so I took it to service. They changed the camera module and images look great now. Have had my phone back only a few hours, though.

A longer version in another thread: HTC One - Kitkat rollout for Dev and unlocked editions. Does anyone know if it fixes the camera

If the effect you are seeing varies from day to day it sounds to me like it IS temperature related.

Here's something interesting. I bought my DE the very first day pre-orders were available in the US. Mine arrived in my hands day one. It has since been in for repairs unrelated to the camera, but They replaced the camera module. The file in sys/android_camera/ is from September 2013. If they replaced it, they must have known something was wrong with it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Hi Guys,

Same here, My one is UEFA version, 4.2 worked fine, after updating to 4.3 i'm having this issue, tried possible fixes still no luck, rolled back to 4.2 update and checked still same, seems to be it's hardware issue.

adriandb,

could you please, check and update the file which is on sys/android_camera/, so i can check on that,

Thanks in advanced

Hi guys, and thanks for reading firstly of all, I have been enjoying my new HTC One, which is almost flawless, however, I would like to ask you about the purple/red camera issue in low light conditions.

When I block the camera completely, it goes almost red, I read and searched and found out that this issue was supposedly addressed by the 4.3 update, and that almost every time people send their phones for replacement due to this issue, they get it again eventually, so my question is: Do you think 4.4 and sense 5.5 will address this? If not, any solutions? Thank you all!

Just out of curiosity, is your camera actually taking bad pictures, or are you just concerned that if you block the sensor, it goes red? Mine goes red if I block it with my finger. But it's black if I block it with something else, like a cloth/desk/non living surface.