1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default need my WiFi to auto connect/disconnect

Can someone show me how to do this or a good app recommendation?

Default Re: need my WiFi to auto connect/disconnect

It should automatically connect to known networks. Is that what you're looking to do?
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by adriandb View Post
    It should automatically connect to known networks. Is that what you're looking to do?
    I don't want my WiFi on all the time though when I'm away from the network. I need a app or way that searches for the network only when I'm near it via network location so it doeant burn my battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecrae116 View Post
    I don't want my WiFi on all the time though when I'm away from the network. I need a app or way that searches for the network only when I'm near it via network location so it doeant burn my battery.
    Wifi on all the time isn't going to drain much battery. If there was a tool to do what you wanted it would still have to fire up the wifi radio to see if a known network was in range.

You could try using NFC tags and tag in when you're at home. Have an NFC app turn on your wifi radio and turn it off when you scan another tag when you leave.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

does what you're looking for and a little bit more
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
    You have to switch on the WiFi always and go to the WiFi setting and check the auto connect WiFi.
    Where does it say auto connect WiFi ?

Wifimatic on play store

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman72 View Post
    Wifimatic on play store

Which one there is two of them
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman72 View Post
    Wifimatic on play store

It says it has 1 cell near it but it is still not connecting I have to do it manually even though all my location options are on

The one by Carlos Prados

The only app I've found to do this is a paid app from the Google Play called Tasker. Tasker does so much more though, well a little less with each new version of Android, but it still has some pretty nice functions. To do what you are looking for it you would need to make a profile in the Tasker app, there are examples of these that you can directly download or use as templates at. The way I do what you are looking for is I use the rough location provided by the network to figure out when I'm with 600 meters of my home. Once the device knows you are near a location it will turn on my WiFi which then will connect automatically. I use 600 meters because without GPS (a fine location tool) the rough location provided by the network isn't very accurate. I could probably go down to 300 meters but if I'm within 600 I'm home or on my way. With Tasker you can also turn it on by time, day, or time and day, or when you start up a particular app. For example you only want WiFi on after 3pm, cause that's when you typically arrive home, and turn off at 5am, cause that's when you leave. Or if you use it at work you can set a Time and Location so if both match your WiFi will be enabled. You could add M-F to that cause you don't work the weekends. The combinations are pretty extensive but for one last example, if you only need WiFi when you access the internet or email you can tell Tasker to turn it on when you open your browser and have it turn it off when you close it. Along with that you can mix in any of the other conditions I've mentioned.

Tasker will also random change your ring tones, or automatically open your favorite listening app when you plug headphones in to your device. It can give you the weather every morning at a time you set, or send emails or texts to people as you drive or if you miss a call. I once used it to automatically forward texts from Verizon to my wife's phone cause she handled the account. What it will no longer do is turn on GPS, we lost that with GB, nor will it turn on Airplane Mode, we lost that with ICS.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.