Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy [RPC:S-3] error occurring only on a facebook google play update

Hey Guys,

Have googled about but not seen anyone receiving this [RPC:S-3] error.

Can anyone who might have a suggestion regarding this error please advise.

Background history :
    I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S2 and actually had the [RPC:S-5] error which was resolved by clearing all cache's and removing my google account and then re-applying. Since then I have changed over to a HTC-One. All other updates work with no problem apart from Facebook and I have no idea why.

**ISSUE RESOLUTION**
    The RPC:S-3 error appears to be a problem with the base version of a product not working with the new google play app. Hence you need to go to the app's product source website and then download the latest update (ie the mobile "*.apk" file).

Below is an example if your issue is with the facebook app (use this as an example of how to resolve the issue with other apps). If it is, you need to download the link shown in the below quoted message and then run that file from your phone. This thread also covers how to find the file and run it on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Griffen View Post
    Worked for me too! I grabbed it from here: Download Facebook 3.8.apk Android app and even though it's a system app, it let me basically install that .apk as an update, and then I could update from the Play store just fine. Thanks dude!

ps...shaneroberts on page2 mentions what he believes resolves the issue in one go but it's up to you which resolution you want to try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [RPC:S-3] error occurring only on a facebook google play update-facebookupdateerror.jpg  
    Last edited by Gom8z; 12-23-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Thanked by 4:
    ThelastHTC likes this.

Default Re: [RPC:S-3] error occurring only on a facebook google play update

I'm having this same issue! I just got a new Samsung Optimus L9 yesterday, synced all my apps just fine except for FB, which is having this RPC:S-3 error. The phone came with FB preinstalled (gross), it's an old version, so it won't let me log into FB without updating it, and I can't update it, so I'm SOL on a lot of other apps that are linked to it. Very frustrating. I hope someone peeps in on this soon and figures something out.

I tried the resolution for the RPC:S-5 errors, clearing the Play store cache &c., but to no avail. I can't seem to find any information on what the error message means. I'm calling Google Play support in a few, I'll let you know what they say.

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I'm having this same issue! I just got a new Samsung Optimus L9 yesterday, synced all my apps just fine except for FB, which is having this RPC:S-3 error. The phone came with FB preinstalled (gross), it's an old version, so it won't let me log into FB without updating it, and I can't update it, so I'm SOL on a lot of other apps that are linked to it. Very frustrating. I hope someone peeps in on this soon and figures something out.

I tried the resolution for the RPC:S-5 errors, clearing the Play store cache &c., but to no avail. I can't seem to find any information on what the error message means. I'm calling Google Play support in a few, I'll let you know what they say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gom8z View Post
    Hey Guys,

Have googled about but not seen anyone receiving this [RPC:S-3] error.

Can anyone who might have a suggestion regarding this error please advise.

Background history :
    I previously had a Samsung Galaxy S2 and actually had the [RPC:S-5] error which was resolved by clearing all cache's and removing my google account and then re-applying. Since then I have changed over to a HTC-One. All other updates work with no problem apart from Facebook and I have no idea why.
    Welcome to the forums, guys.
    This may be more of a Google issue, but sometimes, with Play issues, going into Settings>Apps>Menu>Reset app preferences sometimes helps.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

They told me it was likely a problem on FB's side, I'm contacting them now via email since FB doesn't bother with phone support. And thanks!
    Last edited by Frankie Griffen; 12-17-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: didn't see the welcome post before I posted this reply, felt rude

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

They told me it was likely a problem on FB's side, I'm contacting them now via email since FB doesn't bother with phone support. And thanks!
    FB has a history of poor updates. Perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling?

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

That was my first instinct, but unfortunately, it was "helpfully" pre-installed. I'd have to root to get rid of it.

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Whole new breed of awesome....

Phone Timeline

Im getting the same problem, im using Htc one i dont know what to do

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Same here, HTC One.

Send an email to android-support@fb.com guys! Put RPC:S-3 in the subject line, let's get them moving on it

Done!

This works for me:

-search for "facebook .apk" on google
    -download the latest version that you can find (3.6.1 worked for me)
    -install (allow unknown sources)
    [-log in]
    -now update the app via Play Store

Done.
    Thanked by:

Worked for me too! I grabbed it from here: Download Facebook 3.8.apk Android app and even though it's a system app, it let me basically install that .apk as an update, and then I could update from the Play store just fine. Thanks dude!

You see I'm using a droid DNA and I got a replacement because the screen on my other was cracked really bad. On my other phone I had no problem after the updates to the firmware but on this new one I'm getting this issue and it's very upsetting

Posted via Android Central App

There's a fix in this thread, Tyler

That was awesome! Thank you. I had the HTC one, but had to get a replacement, that would not let me update... annoyed was not the word. Thanks for posting fix!!!

Worked for me. Thank you very much.

Have a look at the post approx. 2 posts above yours. That's right. Just 2 posts above yours. And I can confirm it works.

Done (sent an e-mail)

I'm new on Android, after using Apple for years. I downloaded the 3.8 Android app, but how do I get it on my HTC ONE?
    (Yes I'm a DUMMY...)

Quote Originally Posted by Leon van der Leer View Post
    I'm new on Android, after using Apple for years. I downloaded the 3.8 Android app, but how do I get it on my HTC ONE?
    (Yes I'm a DUMMY...)
    Go in to your app drawer and press downloads and it will be there. You may have to have install from unknown sources ticked but that option will be presented to you upon trying to install. Once unknown sources is ticked just go back to downloads and install, update to the latest version via play store and your all up to date.

When i try to click on the download button this comes up, Download location for: facebook 3.8 external mirror 1 external mirror 2 what should i take?

Global Posts
    17,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Leon van der Leer View Post
    (Yes I'm a DUMMY...)
    Welcome to the forums.
    Put the file on your phone by connecting the cable to your PC. Drag and drop the file, click settings>security>check unknown sources. Open up the .apk file and click install.

Phone Timeline

Thanks! I did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Clark View Post
    Go in to your app drawer and press downloads and it will be there. You may have to have install from unknown sources ticked but that option will be presented to you upon trying to install. Once unknown sources is ticked just go back to downloads and install, update to the latest version via play store and your all up to date.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by Paskanaama View Post
    When i try to click on the download button this comes up, Download location for: facebook 3.8 external mirror 1 external mirror 2 what should i take?
    Either...... websites give you two download locations to share the load. So it makes no difference.

Thanks Frankie btw, I see also you can now download further versions from google play to. awesome!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast