1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Question adding emojis changes character limit

Hi,
    Firstly I should probably apologise if I've posted this in the wrong place but I can move it if needed.
    I have a HTC one and after what I assume was a whole system update (around 2+ weeks ago) it gave me the emojis/emoticons on the standard keyboard instead of just the smileys. Usually I have a character limit of 160 on the normal text messages but as soon as I add an emoji it cuts it to 70.
    I've read somewhere that adding an emoji means all characters double, cutting it nearly in half, but the thing is, it was only a couple days ago that it started cutting down to 70. I was putting emojis in and it was only taking one character, and not changing the overall character limit.
    I was wondering whether there was the possibility to change the sms formatting so emojis will only take one character and not change the overall count? I could on my previous phone and I've searched a bit on the settings but any direction would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: adding emojis changes character limit

I have not heard of the cutting in half part. But for me, sending an Emoji via text converts the message to mms. Perhaps that's what is happening? I don't know the text limits of a mms, but I would imagine items than the standard 160 characters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default Re: adding emojis changes character limit

That's what I feared was happening but my service provider said on the phone they're still text messages... I just don't want to be charged a ridiculous amount if it turns out they're mms messages, they can be robbing b@stards haha