Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Default The camera tinting problems on all HTC Ones?

Hi... I am a cell phone junkie. I have Note 3 at the moment. I have been considering getting the One. All the great reviews and "phone of the year" labels have me thinking I may have missed out by not trying it out. I like to have a good camera on my phone. It doesn't have to be the best. That being said I do not want the tinting issues I have been reading about. Do most Ones have this pro problem? Or is it just a few? Is the One as good as the Note 3 for day to day use? Camera at least almost as good as the Notes?

Posted via Android Central App
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?) /IP6P / Note 4 (it broke the LG3's heart)

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Default Re: The camera tinting problems on all HTC Ones?

There's a picture thread where you can look at some great photos taken with the One.

Mine has the tint problem, it only affects pictures taken in pitch black without flash. If there's light it's not so bad.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Thanks. The pictures do look great! Does that tint sneak up In low light? I never take pictures in real dark situations.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?) /IP6P / Note 4 (it broke the LG3's heart)

My stock camera does not take very good low light pictures. But, I have found camera 360 app to be a fantastic camera in low light. My phone is 10 days old, no tinting issues.

That purple tint seem to be exposed if there is any shadows in the picture regardless of the lighting...

Check out the pics I took in a well-lit office...
    HTC One - Simple Poll: How many have a purple/red/pink tint on camera?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AGReklaw View Post
    That purple tint seem to be exposed if there is any shadows in the picture regardless of the lighting...

Check out the pics I took in a well-lit office...
    HTC One - Simple Poll: How many have a purple/red/pink tint on camera?
    Wow...that is bad. I really want to try out the One....but those kind of pictures would make me nuts. Is this happening on ALL of the Ones? I am forever stuck on Verizon. Maybe their phones may not have the tinting issues since they were produced several months later?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbman View Post
    Hi... I am a cell phone junkie. I have Note 3 at the moment. I have been considering getting the One. All the great reviews and "phone of the year" labels have me thinking I may have missed out by not trying it out. I like to have a good camera on my phone. It doesn't have to be the best. That being said I do not want the tinting issues I have been reading about. Do most Ones have this pro problem? Or is it just a few? Is the One as good as the Note 3 for day to day use? Camera at least almost as good as the Notes?

I would personally keep the Note 3, the one is a good phone but like all phones has its flaws. I personally dislike sense and the camera. However the sound quality is amazing, if your a music junkie, then its a must have feature.
    Thanked by:

I never had any purple tint issues on my HTC One.
    I did buy a note 3 last week and i do like the device. As Dave Clark mentioned if your a music junkie you will love the HTC One.
    I use my Note 3 as my daily driver phone but any media or audio i tend to go back to my HTC One.

*sigh* No, not all HTC Ones have a purple tint problem..... *goes off to bang head against wall*
    sommerface, ffejjj and ram1220 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    I never had any purple tint issues on my HTC One.
    I did buy a note 3 last week and i do like the device. As Dave Clark mentioned if your a music junkie you will love the HTC One.
    I use my Note 3 as my daily driver phone but any media or audio i tend to go back to my HTC One.
    How does the One camera compare to the Note 3's?

A great many of us have never had any tint issues. Those that have had issues are, quite obviously, a very vocal bunch. That said, this camera has been disappointing in other ways. Give the device a try and decide for yourself. All things considered, it's the best phone I've ever owned.
    HTC One (M7) Developer Edition - Android Revolution HD Google Edition ROM 4.4.2 - Elemental kernel - ATT | Google Nexus 7 - Stock ROM 4.4.2 (plus tethering) - Elemental kernel - ATT | Apple iPad 2nd Gen 7.1 - Verizon

I am on my fourth HTC One. I got my first one in April this year and the camera worked flawlessly until my family went on a vacation to the grand canyon in September. I took some pics at sunset and noticed the purple tint. I read some forums about other people having the issue so I called HTC. A rep advised me they were aware of the issue and said it would be resolved in the next software update. I finally got the update a few weeks later and still had the issue after updating. I called my carrier ( T-Mobile ) and insisted they replace it. I received my replacement, same issue! Long story short... I finally got a handset that didn't have the issue after sending back two replacements. So far it has been working great in low light with no purple tint. I love the Zoe feature! The front facing speakers are the main reason I got this phone and they sound great!

I was at Verizon this Friday and I told them about my tint issues and they have a "refurbished" one for me that should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't have the same problem so I wouldn't have to get another replacement. I also emailed HTC about it and they were no help. Their solutions was to send them my phone to be repaired. Horrible. On the other hand, it is a great phone.

Quote Originally Posted by sDPLP1904 View Post
    I was at Verizon this Friday and I told them about my tint issues and they have a "refurbished" one for me that should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't have the same problem so I wouldn't have to get another replacement. I also emailed HTC about it and they were no help. Their solutions was to send them my phone to be repaired. Horrible. On the other hand, it is a great phone.

Im trying to understand how this is a horrible solution. HTC will pay for your shipping to and from and repair your phone free of charge. And, by now we should all know that this is actually a hardware problem. The repair is an awesome fix and my phone is better than it was new. If you question the customer service rep at HTC when you call to get your repair, they will tell you that they will replace the camera module as it has a known defect. The biggest inconveninence i see is that there is a 7 day turnaround from the time they send you prepaid packaging until the time you receive your repaired phone. You can probably save yourself 2 days by sending your phone out directly without waiting for the prepaid envelope. The customer service number is 1-866-963-0953. It's a direct line and you should not be on hold or waiting more than 5 minutes. This may be a better option than trying to get a refurb as the refurb phones do not actually go through HTC and you may even lose HTC warranty rights as a result of exchanging for a refurb.
    coronaboy10 likes this.

I was told that the camera issue (purple tint in low light) is caused by a heat shield that gradually degraded which explains why the problem didn't show up until after several months of use. You can return your phone to htc where they will replace the entire camera module along with a heat shield that (they say) will not degrade with time. I'm waiting for my phone to be returned from the houston repair facility now. HTC really should have gotten out ahead of this problem instead of letting it fester. A recall would have been crazy expensive but so will the ill feelings and bad rep generated by their lack of communication about this defect.

Consider the massive amount of ONE owners who are living with their defective cameras because they were given the runaround by their carrier and just gave up. HTC should have contacted all affected owners about how to have their phones repaired. I received false information from AT&T which was to wait for the update. Basically wasting away the opportunity to take halloween and new years photos.

HTC did not offer a mailer to me, I paid a total of $14.15 to mail my phone Priority Mail (with two day delivery) and now, 10 days later, my phone is still "in repair" The facility is in the same city as I am and the delivery arrived on Tuesday the 21st. They didn't even scan my phone into the system until Friday the 24th. I had been told the entire process (shipping and repair) would take 8-10 days. There is an apparent disconnect between the HTC reps online and the repair facility. I'm sure this isn't the case for all other users but if I had known it would be closer to 2 weeks repair time I would have gotten a backup phone to use.

I love my One and loved my previous Inspire, but this experience has certainly put a dent in my opinion of HTC's customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by robsawalker View Post
    *sigh* No, not all HTC Ones have a purple tint problem..... *goes off to bang head against wall*
    Lol! IKR! I'm saying this and I've had to send mine back twice, but seriously...ALL? I'm banging with you!

Quote Originally Posted by TexanSaint View Post
    I was told that the camera issue (purple tint in low light) is caused by a heat shield that gradually degraded which explains why the problem didn't show up until after several months of use. You can return your phone to htc where they will replace the entire camera module along with a heat shield that (they say) will not degrade with time. I'm waiting for my phone to be returned from the houston repair facility now. HTC really should have gotten out ahead of this problem instead of letting it fester. A recall would have been crazy expensive but so will the ill feelings and bad rep generated by their lack of communication about this defect.

Consider the massive amount of ONE owners who are living with their defective cameras because they were given the runaround by their carrier and just gave up. HTC should have contacted all affected owners about how to have their phones repaired. I received false information from AT&T which was to wait for the update. Basically wasting away the opportunity to take halloween and new years photos.

HTC did not offer a mailer to me, I paid a total of $14.15 to mail my phone Priority Mail (with two day delivery) and now, 10 days later, my phone is still "in repair" The facility is in the same city as I am and the delivery arrived on Tuesday the 21st. They didn't even scan my phone into the system until Friday the 24th. I had been told the entire process (shipping and repair) would take 8-10 days. There is an apparent disconnect between the HTC reps online and the repair facility. I'm sure this isn't the case for all other users but if I had known it would be closer to 2 weeks repair time I would have gotten a backup phone to use.

I love my One and loved my previous Inspire, but this experience has certainly put a dent in my opinion of HTC's customer service.
    I sent mine in as well and they did repair the tint issue. My phone was gone for about 10 calendar days: however, when I got it back the purple was fine and now I get a pink hue right in the middle of my photos in some pics.I'm sending it back again and HTC has sent me a loaner phone in the interim...fingers are crossed that they get it right this time...

Quote Originally Posted by CHILLYWILL_95831 View Post
    Im trying to understand how this is a horrible solution. HTC will pay for your shipping to and from and repair your phone free of charge. And, by now we should all know that this is actually a hardware problem. The repair is an awesome fix and my phone is better than it was new. If you question the customer service rep at HTC when you call to get your repair, they will tell you that they will replace the camera module as it has a known defect. The biggest inconveninence i see is that there is a 7 day turnaround from the time they send you prepaid packaging until the time you receive your repaired phone. You can probably save yourself 2 days by sending your phone out directly without waiting for the prepaid envelope. The customer service number is 1-866-963-0953. It's a direct line and you should not be on hold or waiting more than 5 minutes. This may be a better option than trying to get a refurb as the refurb phones do not actually go through HTC and you may even lose HTC warranty rights as a result of exchanging for a refurb.

Horrible because to have to send the phone in. This means i will not have a phone in the process. Does not matter how long, still the inconvenience of having to send the phone.

If this takes another 10 days, overall you're going on 20 days without a phone. Does your carrier still charge you for this service while your phone is being repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by CHILLYWILL_95831 View Post
    My HTC One was given to me back in Dec 2013. I started noticing the pink tint in January. I want to call HTC but I don't think I'll get anywhere. My phone doesn't have warranty. I don't have any receipts or anything. I'd have to get a third-party to fix the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by nikong13 View Post
    My HTC One was given to me back in Dec 2013. I started noticing the pink tint in January. I want to call HTC but I don't think I'll get anywhere. My phone doesn't have warranty. I don't have any receipts or anything. I'd have to get a third-party to fix the camera.
    you can get it fixed by HTC, but you'll have to pay for the repair im pretty sure. I don't see how it's not under warranty, the HTC ONE is not a year old yet, so you should be able to get a warranty repair without receipts. I didn't send in receipts for my repair.

I received my phone back after 11 days and here are the results after the camera module and upper board were replaced:
    1. I can no longer take pictures of checks through my Chase bank app unless I place a halogen light about 10 inches above the check and even then it's not consistent. ( i never had problems before in any light setting) I spoke with three tiers of customer service at Chase until finally speaking with a developer. Their consensus was it was a hardware issue. .
    2. While filming video the video changes tint from bluish to yellow. This occurs even while both the subject and the camera are not moving and the light is consistent.
    3. When playing videos from the highlight folder, the videos flash nightmarish light schemes that the HTC rep assumed was the normal effects provided when you choose various songs for your highlight videos. I offered to send screenshot and was told there was no way they could receive them.
    4. I also have experienced several phone calls where the sound was so garbled I could not determine what the other person was saying. (previously not a problem)

HTC has sent a prepaid label so that I can return the phone again but I decided to call ATT before I send it off. Because the phone is still in warranty they are sending me a refurbished replacement free of charge. Can any one tell me if they have had problems with refurbs? I worry the phone may have been built when the faulty camera was still being used and it may fail after 4 months of use like the first one did which would then put me out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanSaint View Post
    I received my phone back after 11 days and here are the results after the camera module and upper board were replaced:
    1. I can no longer take pictures of checks through my Chase bank app unless I place a halogen light about 10 inches above the check and even then it's not consistent. ( i never had problems before in any light setting) I spoke with three tiers of customer service at Chase until finally speaking with a developer. Their consensus was it was a hardware issue. .
    2. While filming video the video changes tint from bluish to yellow. This occurs even while both the subject and the camera are not moving and the light is consistent.
    3. When playing videos from the highlight folder, the videos flash nightmarish light schemes that the HTC rep assumed was the normal effects provided when you choose various songs for your highlight videos. I offered to send screenshot and was told there was no way they could receive them.
    4. I also have experienced several phone calls where the sound was so garbled I could not determine what the other person was saying. (previously not a problem)

HTC has sent a prepaid label so that I can return the phone again but I decided to call ATT before I send it off. Because the phone is still in warranty they are sending me a refurbished replacement free of charge. Can any one tell me if they have had problems with refurbs? I worry the phone may have been built when the faulty camera was still being used and it may fail after 4 months of use like the first one did which would then put me out of warranty.
    I would send it back to HTC for repair.

I received my new HTC One yesterday. I tried the camera and it seems I got lucky, because the pictures came out great, even in low light. However, I tried to use the Chase Mobile App to deposit a check and I could not get a picture. It "clicked" but the screen was black. I used my old Galaxy Nexus to deposit the check and it worked fine. I then tried to deposit a check using US Bank mobile app on my HTC One, and it worked perfectly. So, in my case, I am leaning toward it being some software compatability issue with the Chase mobile app. I will have to wait for future updates to see if the problem disappears.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by nikong13 View Post
    I can't imagine you would need anything to invoke the warranty: it's a one-year warranty and they haven't been selling the device that long. There's no way any HTC One out there is out of the manufactures warranty.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast