Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By riche-rich
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default dropped phone in water, heelllp please

Hi, I dropped my htc one im water ( yes, I know...), put it in a bowl of rice overnight and blew dried it. The screen came on briefly, turned back off. So I connected it to the charger and the red light is blinking twice, then stops for a couple of seconds, blinks twice again and so on. During the blinking it shows a battery with an arrow on the screen. Never seen that before. Help please? Is there any way to rescue it?.

Default Re: dropped phone in water, heelllp please

Hi. May be a bit late in saying this but rice overnight may not be long enough to dry out completely. Needs a good few days usually. Also vacuum cleaner hose is better than hairdryer. Hairdryer tends to blow moisture further into the phone. If you are going to do anything like that it is better to try and suck the moisture out with a vacuum cleaner. Good luck anyway.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yes, let it sit in rice for a day or two. The internals likely have moisture inside and it's not completely dried. That's not to say it would work again. Just give it a few days and try again. It's worth a shot. Let us know how things go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you all...its sitting in the rice again. Should I keep the charger plugged in? Has anyone ever seen that battery sign?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine Va View Post
    Thank you all...its sitting in the rice again. Should I keep the charger plugged in? Has anyone ever seen that battery sign?
    Can you take a screen shot of the battery charging symbol your on about?
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Id love to, am on my tablet and cant see an attach picture feature.

I would leave it unplugged and turned off. Just leave the phone in the rice by itself for a few days. Good luck with it.
    Thanked by 2:

IF there is any moisture inside the unit plugging it in will only increase the chance of damage..
    Hopefully your battery drained and didnt short out the unit internally when it got wet. If so this helped to protect it from future damage.. Each time you try to plug it in and there is still liquid in there your running the risk of a direct short and burning out what ever components shorted out and/or increasing the risk of corrosion..

Think of it as a 2 step process.
    Step 1 is phone gets wet. Immediately the liquid will start to short circuit any electronics it touches IF they have current running through them. This will be dependent of the conductivity of the water. Salt water is more conductive then just plain tap water. But plain tap water also has other chemicals which come into play for step 2.

Step 2. After the electrical damage is done - the liquid dries up and leaves behind what ever chemicals were inside the water. Those chemicals will start to break down inside the device and on the electronics you will start to see corrosion. This corrosion will start to change the electrical nature of the device. If the liquid damage was minor then the corrosion will be minor as well.

Every electrical device that gets some form of liquid damage will always be dependent on 2 factors. What was the liquid (chemical contents) and how much of it was inserted into the device.

Your device may recover in a few days but keep in mind it will have a higher chance of failure down the road due to the liquid damage.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by IAmSixNine View Post
    IF there is any moisture inside the unit plugging it in will only increase the chance of damage..
    Hopefully your battery drained and didnt short out the unit internally when it got wet. If so this helped to protect it from future damage.. Each time you try to plug it uid in there your running the risk of a direct short and burning out what ever components shorted out and/or increasing the risk of corrosion..

Think of it as a 2 step process.
    Step 1 is phone gets wet. Immediately the liquid will start to short circuit any electronics it touches IF they have current running through them. This will be dependent of the conductivity of the water. Salt water is more conductive then just plain tap water. But plain tap water also has other chemicals which come into play for step 2.

Step 2. After the electrical damage is done - the liquid dries up and leaves behind what ever chemicals were inside the water. Those chemicals will start to break down inside the device and on the electronics you will start to see corrosion. This corrosion will start to change the electrical nature of the device. If the liquid damage was minor then the corrosion will be minor as well.

Every electrical device that gets some form of liquid damage will always be dependent on 2 factors. What was the liquid (chemical contents) and how much of it was inserted into the device.

Your device may recover in a few days but keep in mind it will have a higher chance of failure down the road due to the liquid damage.

Oh my, this doent sound good at all but makes a lot of sense. Luckily it was just water...? I unplugged it and its back in a bed of white rice.
    Last edited by Sabine Va; 12-29-2013 at 03:20 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Clark View Post
    Can you take a screen shot of the battery charging symbol your on about?
    dropped phone in water, heelllp please-20131228_220701.jpg

figured it out, finally! At least one thing that works

Oh my, this desmt sound good at all but makes a lot of sense. Luckily it was just water...? I unplughed it and its back in a bed of white rice.
    Hope it comes out unscathed. All the best. That appears to be the normal charging icon, is it showing any green bars while plugged in?
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Clark View Post
    Hope it comes out unscathed. All the best. That appears to be the normal charging icon, is it showing any green bars while plugged in?
    I have never had this charging icon before, usually its just the steady red light which is now blinking. There are no bars whatsoever, just exactly what you see in the picture

Okay well, perhaps the water has done something internally. Leave in the rice and I hope it all works out okay for you.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

i dropped my s4 in water, totaly submerged for about 2min. Put it in front of a fan for a full day with the battery out and back off. Went back and it was back to normal. was this luck, you tell me.

The fact that you had a device with a removable battery will help a lot. When you take the battery out it helps to eliminate any initial electrical shorting.
    Now all you have to worry about is corrosion down the road.
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I cant even take the baxk off, so how am I supposed to take the battery out?

I cant even take the baxk off, so how am I supposed to take the battery out?
    Just keep it in the rice and pray!
    Thanked by:

Don't underestimate how long it takes to dry out !! Put mine in rice and after 3 days was still so upset went out and bought a new HTC one ......... Took it out of the rice after a week and the sucker was working !!! Moral of the story be patient ........ please !

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 2:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by riche-rich View Post
    Don't underestimate how long it takes to dry out !! Put mine in rice and after 3 days was still so upset went out and bought a new HTC one ......... Took it out of the rice after a week and the sucker was working !!! Moral of the story be patient ........ please !

Posted via Android Central App
    Ill try......just frustrated about all the lost stuff! i could really go nuts right now. Still no signs of anything.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrluky View Post
    i dropped my s4 in water, totaly submerged for about 2min. Put it in front of a fan for a full day with the battery out and back off. Went back and it was back to normal. was this luck, you tell me.
    Yes it was luck.

I still don't understand why people keep thinking that putting their electronics in rice is a good idea. Yes, rice does absorb some moisture but probably no more so than if you put it in a bag full of some other kind of dried goods like beans. Not to mention that rice tends to have very fine dust that can get into the device and further damage it. If you're going to try to save your $500+ device, why would you deliberately cheap out and not get a true desiccant? Seriously, go to your local Wal-Mart or home improvement center (Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc.) and get a desiccant pack like . And for everyone else who haven't dropped their electronics into liquids yet, having a few packs of these around just in case probably wouldn't hurt either.

Dry the exterior of the phone as best as you can then drop it into a zip-lock bag or another air-tight container with desiccants and leave it in for a day... after that, take out the used desiccant and drop in a few packs of new ones and seal it up for another day or so. Doing that would maximize your chance at saving your device; running a current through it (via charging or powering it on) before it is completely dry will likely fry the device and significantly reduce your chances at ever saving it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131228_220701.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	98700

figured it out, finally! At least one thing that works
    it means the phone is off and charging. But completly dead tho.........not good. remove the battery

Quote Originally Posted by Alain_A View Post
    it means the phone is off and charging. But completly dead tho.........not good. remove the battery
    Cant remove battery of htc one.

Sent from my iPhone using

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    Cant remove battery of htc one.

Sent from my iPhone using

ohhhhhhh not good then